User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,272

    Default Drug war casualties-cops are burning babies now

    The police say they're "sorry this happened", but they don't blame themselves and their reckless behavior.

    The mother of the toddler injured after a flashbang was thrown into the home where their family was staying told Channel 2 Action News Friday morning that the boy remains in a medically-induced coma.

    “He is in a medically induced coma and he is paralyzed. I hope he’s not going to remember this. I know his sisters, his mommy and his daddy will never forget this," the boy's mother, Alecia Phonesavanh, said. "Our kids have been through enough this year. This is just more trauma that they didn’t need, and I just wish there was something better I could do to make it better for him. Wrong place, wrong time. There’s nothing I can do about it."
    The family's home in Wisconsin recently burned down, prompting their trop to Atlanta to visit family.
    “There’s nothing we can do to change the situation, my husband and I would gladly both give up our lives just to see him not like this. He’s such a happy little boy, and to see him like this laying there, not moving, it’s heartbreaking. We just want to hold him and we can’t," Phonesavanh said.
    Toddler critically burned during SWAT raid | www.wsbtv.com
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,272

    Default

    I wonder why people don't find this topic interesting. Is it the lack of rape? Is drug war violence too normalized? Is it because there are no pictures? Would people be more interested if it was a cat or dog the police brutalized?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #3
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,900

    Default

    it's misleading. you make it sound like the cops went over to a baby and set it on fire. the baby was wrong place wrong time. I'm against the drug war btw
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    it's misleading. you make it sound like the cops went over to a baby and set it on fire. the baby was wrong place wrong time. I'm against the drug war btw
    For all intents and purposes, they did. The police have a tremendous amount of firepower at their disposal and they are reckless in its use. What the police did is no better than a drunk driver killing someone, but it's actually worse. We grant the police the power to act on our behalf and they (supposedly) go through training so these things don't happen. But incidents like these happen all the time. This time it was a baby being burned. Another day they'll shoot and kill someone when they've raided the wrong home. Another day they'll kill a family pet while children watch. Another day they'll shoot a homeless guy for absolutely no reason at all. And the constant in all of this is that the police are almost never held accountable for their crimes. There are rare occasions where they are held accountable, but those are exceptions. The police, by and large, do not respect the public they have sworn to protect. They view us as enemies.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #5
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    For all intents and purposes, they did. The police have a tremendous amount of firepower at their disposal and they are reckless in its use. What the police did is no better than a drunk driver killing someone, but it's actually worse. We grant the police the power to act on our behalf and they (supposedly) go through training so these things don't happen. But incidents like these happen all the time. This time it was a baby being burned. Another day they'll shoot and kill someone when they've raided the wrong home. Another day they'll kill a family pet while children watch. Another day they'll shoot a homeless guy for absolutely no reason at all. And the constant in all of this is that the police are almost never held accountable for their crimes. There are rare occasions where they are held accountable, but those are exceptions. The police, by and large, do not respect the public they have sworn to protect. They view us as enemies.
    they already attack homeless people for no reason
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    they already attack homeless people for no reason
    I know. I was referencing things they've done recently. There isn't a week that goes by that the police in this country don't do something monstrous.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #7
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I know. I was referencing things they've done recently. There isn't a week that goes by that the police in this country don't do something monstrous.
    it's not just the police. society as a whole is fucked up. I'm all for dismanteling it and starting over
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    it's not just the police. society as a whole is fucked up. I'm all for dismanteling it and starting over
    Society, as a whole, is much better than it was in the past. All types of violence continue to fall. Life expectancy continues to increase. Each generation has a larger circle of empathy than the last. There is still a lot of room for improvement, but most trends are positive. Society is actually doing great.

    The police are bucking that trend. They are becoming increasingly militarized and violent against the populace. Police brutality has always been a problem, but they didn't have this kind of weaponry at their disposal in the past. And they treat every situation as though it's the climax of a movie and they're facing off against a super villian.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #9
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I wonder why people don't find this topic interesting. Is it the lack of rape? Is drug war violence too normalized? Is it because there are no pictures? Would people be more interested if it was a cat or dog the police brutalized?
    It's not that I don't find it interesting. I was a little bit hesitant to read the thread because I'm in kind of a tender patch at the moment (hashtag INFP problems) and babies getting fucked up is about as brutal as it gets. And for a drug raid? Sigh.

    At least they said they'd be more careful next time. Thanks, guys.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's not that I don't find it interesting. I was a little bit hesitant to read the thread because I'm in kind of a tender patch at the moment (hashtag INFP problems) and babies getting fucked up is about as brutal as it gets. And for a drug raid? Sigh.

    At least they said they'd be more careful next time. Thanks, guys.
    I wonder how many baby casualties it would take for the pro-lifers to get as upset about the drug war as they get about abortion. Actually, that has me thinking...you know how pro-lifers like to show people pictures of aborted fetuses. I wonder if doing something similar with young drug raid victims would be effective. My stomach turns even typing that because it seems really explotative, so there's no way I would ever do it, but I wonder if it would be effective. Most people aren't swayed by logical arguments. It's appeals to emotion that really change most people's minds.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. Drugs and Drug use are widely accepted now
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
  2. Mad world or how whipped are the british now?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
  3. [ENTP] ENTPs are big babys?
    By HaHa in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 06:58 PM
  4. ANOTHER innocent elderly person killed because of the Drug War
    By pure_mercury in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
  5. American Drug War
    By Metamorphosis in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO