First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Because this board is always going on and on about the decay of the US, blah blah blah, let's have something fun. The Canadian/American war -- how would it play out? Who would win?
    Erm...

Ermmm....

Canada has a tenth of the American population, most of whom live within 100 miles of the border. Proportionally, Canada has a tenth of America's GDP, and about the same proportion of its manufacturing output. And probably a hundredth of America's functioning military equipment.

Does the question even need asking?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A valid question.
    When you drive into Canada/US, do you notice when you cross the border?
    Ii Scandinavia, or Central Europe, you do not. It was even more so before EU.
    Yes, to varying extents. For one there are border checkpoints, whereas it is my understanding there are none between the Scandinavian states.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Canada would win.

The US invasion force would meet little or no resistance but would be drawn into an expensive and unsustainable occupation, which would require a long standing commitment of forces ...
    Yes, this is what I was getting at when I said it could end up in a guerrilla war.

Take Iraq and Afghanistan as examples where semi-organized, rebel groups have kept US forces busy for almost a decade. A bunch of poor people living out of caves have kept US boots on the ground because of the instability they cause. Canadians look like Americans, sound like Americans, have more intimate knowledge of the United States of America itself than any other foreign citizenry: imagine how much havoc those people could wreak. Not just in Canada but in the States too. We're talking about a group of people who wouldn't have to resort to putting a bomb in their shoe and trying to get on a plane destined for New York or something like that. Canadians blend in perfectly and have resources.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Yes, to varying extents. For one there are border checkpoints, whereas it is my understanding there are none between the Scandinavian states.
    Yeah, they also don't let you carry produce into Canada (or at least they didn't 25 years ago when I lived in Washington State), and there was a decided lack of motels in Vancouver (there were hotels in abundance). Also, they don't let you transport guns over the border.

MBTI
    ENFJ

So, Canada would be Vietnam^10.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    So, Canada would be Vietnam^10.
    Pretty much every war the US has fought since WW2 has been Vietnam, and the US has been at perpetual war since WW2 while other nations have been able to do other things with their money.

Its bogus to consider Vietnam as a defeat for the US, the US destroyed that country, it wasnt going to be an example of squat after its onslaught and withdrawal, for all the cancer and poisoning that US vets experienced the population of Vietnam itself have it in spades. The use of depleted uranium shells and ammunition in the Gulf and Iraq wars will probably have had the same effect in the long term.

However the Vietnam war wasnt sold to the population the way subsequent wars have been and resistance wasnt portrayed as betrayal as much, the necessity of withdrawal and retreat has been used to destroy the left over successive generations.

Sniffles

There's also the factor to consider how NATO will respond to this, not least of which because this would be an intra-NATO conflict. Be interesting to see if NATO(and the EU as well too along with it) split over this issue. What happens after that would be anybody guess. Anything from nothing to a minor European war between factions allied to either the Americans or Canadians/British.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I think France and Germany would side with America. France because they should be already pissed that there's a french-speaking country which is not a department of the french empire and Germany, tho I think that probably 90% of the germans would say that Canada has a nice landscape and is an awesomely beautiful place for retirement in solitude, 90% would agree also that a life without McDonalds is worthless
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Sniffles

Really you think so? I would figure France and Germany would use the oppurtunity to weaken America's international power and hopefully build up the EU(or whats left of it) as a major power in the world.

By might, the U.S. would win (short-term gain). By global eminency, the U.S. would lose badly (long-term loss since who would ever trust the U.S. again?).