User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default British nationalism defends BP; therefore *** British nationalism

David Cameron ducks chance to speak up for BP after cynical attacks from Obama | Mail Online

American attacks on BP help nobody | News

Should David Cameron talk tough with Barack Obama over BP? - Telegraph

And many more like that. The printed versions are even more rabid intheir defense of BP.

On the other hand, like all internationalists, regardless of the fact I have British citizenship and depend on the British economy, I sympathize, as any sane person would, not with BP but with all the people in the US who had their livelihoods or families wrecked by BP's cost-cutting.

To the extent that BP does something useful for society, this could be done by public ownership.

This is an example of where BP should be nationalized with no compensation and placed under the democratic control of its workforce, with all the wealth generated by it being used for the development of its technology and the benefit of the communities it employs, rather than being syphoned off by some parasite CEO's and shareholders (of course small middle class shareholders deserve compensation, I am talking baout the super-rich).

See who said commie-ism is anti-American?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    intp

This article about the British backlash against criticism of BP in America had me shaking my head:

in Britain, where the company is a mainstay of the stock market and a favorite of pension funds, investors and politicians are becoming increasingly angry at the blistering attacks from across the Atlantic.
    ...the stream of condemnations from Washington has stirred a protective backlash, even in this closest of American allies. Boris Johnson, the Conservative mayor of London, said Thursday that he was worried about “anti-British rhetoric” and “name-calling” from American politicians
    It doesn't seem to me that the Britishness of BP has been a focal point of the deserved lashing the company's getting, so I'd be interested to see which "anti-British rhetoric" they mean. There's a lot of anti-Big Oil bitching.

“When you consider the huge exposure of British pension funds to BP, it starts to become a matter of national concern if a great British company is being continually beaten up on the airwaves,” Mr. Johnson told BBC radio’s Today program.
    well, as long as we keep the proper perspective . . . We wouldn't want to suggest that BP is to blame for screwing British pension funds by allowing pure greed to cause one of the worst environmental disasters ever in the U.S. Let's beat up on the complaining victims.

This is some next-level gall.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

There's no such thing as british nationalism and they wouldnt defend BP, like everything else british it belongs to someone else, mainly Americans and mainly American pensioners.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's no such thing as british nationalism and they wouldnt defend BP, like everything else british it belongs to someone else, mainly Americans and mainly American pensioners.
    Whatever you want to call them, the tin-pot patriots of the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Dailly Express etc., certainly want to rile up the British public to defend BP.

Whether or not its actually "British" isn't really the point.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Only Missourians, huh.

I do not think these news guys understand how much anger there is in the US about the banks, though.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I haven't heard any "anti-British rhetoric".

I bet 90% of the American public doesn't know what "BP" was an acronym for.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    To the extent that BP does something useful for society, this could be done by public ownership.
    There's no reason to believe that a nationalized industry is any safer to the environment than a private one is. I'm all for punishing BP... they certainly deserve it... but I'd just as soon live next door to Chernobyl as see BP's US holdings be operated by some unelected government functionary.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    There's no reason to believe that a nationalized industry is any safer to the environment than a private one is. I'm all for punishing BP... they certainly deserve it... but I'd just as soon live next door to Chernobyl as see BP's US holdings be operated by some unelected government functionary.
    Well I think you are exaggerating with the Chernobyl thing, pleny of state-run companies in the past ran better or no worse than the privatized versions that succeeded them (or when they ran especially badly it was due to dleiberate under-funding in order to encourage privatizaion).

However, I agree that I wouldn't like to see an unelected bureacrat run BP. I said this:

This is an example of where BP should be nationalized with no compensation and placed under the democratic control of its workforce, with all the wealth generated by it being used for the development of its technology and the benefit of the communities it employs,
    There are examples of occupied factories run on this basis.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Well I think you are exaggerating with the Chernobyl thing...
    Well, that could be. Maybe it was just a minor hiccup during an otherwise normal day in that state-run nuclear power plant...?

BP didn't want the oil spill any more than the Ukrainian government wanted the Chernobyl disaster. The failure in both cases was due to bad decisions exacerbated by poor planning and ineffective safety measures. These aren't functions of forms of governance; they're human stupidity, which is indifferent to the structures into which we configure it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Someone wants people to think there is anti-British sentiment going around in America. It's a lie. I've not heard or seen anything condemning Britain. This is crap.

What the hell are we gonna do? Go to war with them because some asshat CEO tried to milk money from the government by letting his equipment fall into disrepair?

I will, however, be boycotting BP in any way I can. If that is seen as an attack on your entire country you can suck my left nut.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau