User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

In Sweden, there's an ex-bf of mine who mentioned once that people in one town made a chocolate dessert called "nigger balls". The handful of black people around there actually appreciated that they had something named after them, since it was named without ill intent.

Then... some random white person took offense to it, and ended up getting it banned as racist, despite that the people it was supposed to be racist TOWARDS actually knew better... yeah.

I think the point is that 'foul language' only exists, not in the terms USED, but in the INTENT on those words.

If someone goes up to a friend of theirs and is like "Hey nigger how's it been!?", then... well obviously they're not being an ass about it, they're just being friendly. There's no ill intent, and I don't see reason to demonize them for it.

On the other hand, someone complaining about "those goddamned niggers!", well yeah... that's pretty obvious that there *IS* ill intent there.

Same thing applies in non-racist tones as well.

For another example here... let's say I let my Ne loose and act more than a little strange... it's not uncommon for me to get friendly comments from people I care about like "yeu are fucking insane" XD I'm fine with that, despite that it does involve an actual curse, and out of context, it could be misinterpreted as an insult, when I really know it isn't. Because they're kind of right anyway >.>;;

But let's contrast that, which was the WORDS of an insult, but MEANT as a friendly gesture... compared to say... a little kid, maybe kindergarten aged... and they HATE someone with all their heart and call them a "stupid doodoo head!" because it's the single worst possible insult they could possibly think of. It's laced with malicious intent and hatred, it's a direct insult, despite that it's obviously G rated speech.

The word itself means nothing more than whot yeu mean it to mean.

The problem is, people have attached certain definitions to words... but these definitions don't apply most of the time due to cultural changes, slang, and phrazes and so on, so trying to use a dictionary to define if something's an insult or not really just doesn't work.

In the end, intent, and context, are far more important than the actual words themselves. It'd be *NICE* if we'd just use the words consistently... so that, yeah, we'd KNOW that 'nigger' was a bad term... but we DON'T use it that way. We use it as an insult to anyone who annoys us, we use it as a greeting, as an affectionate term, and as a derogatory attack on race. If we could just use it as a single definition and STICK with it, then it wouldn't be a problem.

But language doesn't work that way, and it's silly to try to pretend that it does. Nearly as silly as it is to be offended by someone who's trying to be nice, but maybe isn't exactly very cautious with their wording.

Feel free to be offended at someone who's TRYING to piss yeu off... just don't go overboard and GRRR at people who really honestly weren't trying to be a jerk.

I try to avoid cursing in general, myself, as it's just easier to reserve those terms for when such is required... I don't think I will ever have a use for the term 'nigger' outside of this single post, actually. I don't use other curses either, unless in very dire situations... if I hit my thumb with a hammer, I want something to fall back on that will give a sense of release of that pain. If I say "fuck" every 2nd word, then it's so diluted it can't perform that task adequately any longer XD

So yeah, it'd be nice if we all thought this way, and DIDN'T have to even have this stupid discussion in the first place. If we could just say "alright, let's just accept 'nigger' is a derogitory term, leave it as that ONE definition, and DON'T USE IT", then it'd be great.

But we love to butcher language, words, and definitions. "Yeu" know I do it in my own way, as much as anyone else, but I'm not foolish enough to pretend I don't, I just make it very obvious I do so. I'd just appreciate it if either everyone else would either admit that they can't decide if a term is an insult or not, or preferably, to just define things once and leave them that way XD

But they don't, so don't try to pretend they do either. Being politically correct is living in a fantasy world where people actually are consistent. Nice ideal, doesn't have even the most remote connection with reality.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    dude, chill... I'm just pointing out how much better the world would be if EVERYONE was an SP!
    True that!

ok! I'm in! SP's are just AWESOME!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

seriously! think... no more wars because fist fights are much more immediate

and as a serious note, I avoid that certain term because I'd rather play it safe than accidentally piss someone off...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    True that!

ok! I'm in! SP's are just AWESOME!

Noticed this on the SP forums too... I swear, yeu are the most stuck up of the types it seems, I'm flat out GLAD I don't think that way about myself XD

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you only need to change one letter Katsuni....

and I'm willing to woo you with s'mores if necissary
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    you only need to change one letter Katsuni....

and I'm willing to woo you with s'mores if necissary
    Alright... now the s'mores bribary is actually probably the best attempt I've seen yet on that XD

...Though... now I want smores... sigh *checks to see if monies deposited into bank yet* if only I could afford to go grocery shopping >.>

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

argh... that reminds me that I NEED to go grociery shopping... the refrigerator is disturbingly devoid of food

were you not a zillion miles away I'd invite you over to make smores!

Oberon

One day at work I overheard someone talking about the A.A. Milne character Tigger, as portrayed in the Disney cartoons. I quickly hushed him. "We don't use that term any more," I said. "He's a Feline-American."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Noticed this on the SP forums too... I swear, yeu are the most stuck up of the types it seems, I'm flat out GLAD I don't think that way about myself XD
    Being SP is so awesome...especially when meeting up with other SP's.

Treat them right, they'll give you the shirt off their back and major discounts. They "got your back" too.

Plus, they're always down for a beer. Or some yummie food.

Oh, and fun too! Can't have much fun in life without an SP along.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

But they don't, so don't try to pretend they do either. Being politically correct is living in a fantasy world where people actually are consistent. Nice ideal, doesn't have even the most remote connection with reality.
    Couldn't agree more.
    01010101011011100110100101110100011110010010000001 10001101100001011011100010000001101111011011100110 11000111100100100000011000100110010100100000011011 01011000010110111001101001011001100110010101110011 01110100011001010110010000100000011000100111100100 10000001110100011010000110010100100000010000100110 10010110111001100001011100100111100100101110