User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture..._United_States

If i had to personify the US with an MBTI type, i'd pick ENTJ. But it's obviously very difficult and ridiculous to define the US in such a simplistic way, more so than any other country.
    Heh. Havent we had this discussion somewhere before?

The lightbulb.. a joint effort globally, and if anything, English/Scottish/French. But America knew how to "Market" it (as always) and defeat rivals in its implementation. (See wikipedia on lightbulb history). Which I think summarises the US involvement in many situations - capitalising on the efforts of worldwide inventors (who in those days were often British, or French, or Canadian as much as the US, but didnt have the wherewithal to implement them).

Transistors were as much German, as American.

Nuclear Power was German expertise, and history as follows :

"On June 27, 1954, the world's first nuclear power plant to generate electricity for a power grid started operations at Obninsk, USSR. The reactor was graphite moderated, water cooled and had a capacity of 5 megawatts (MW). It produced 5 megawatts (electrical), enough to power 2,000 homes.[8][9]

The world's first commercial nuclear power station, Calder Hall in Sellafield, England was opened in 1956, a gas-cooled Magnox reactor with an initial capacity of 50 MW (later 200 MW).[10]

The Shippingport Reactor (Pennsylvania, 1957), a pressurized water reactor, was the first commercial nuclear generator to become operational in the United States."

(so worldwide again)

....and so it goes on.

American involvement is in implementation of such things, therefore, but not really especially in the innovation (which seems spread around a whole host of western and far eastern countries). Certainly not in comparison with the size and resources of the country.

-Geoff

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Mimes.

Jerry Lewis.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    Ape

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I kinda get what you all are saying, but how do you explain the following...

Amelie

The Science of Sleep

Birth

just to give quickie examples.

It seems like every expression of French culture I've encountered is steeped in layers and layers of subtle nuance, metaphor, whimsy, and complex inward emotion. What's up with that?
    I agree with Geoff these are films directed and written by individuals inside the culture and not representative of a whole Zeitgeist.
    Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Heh. Havent we had this discussion somewhere before?

The lightbulb.. a joint effort globally, and if anything, English/Scottish/French. But America knew how to "Market" it (as always) and defeat rivals in its implementation. (See wikipedia on lightbulb history). Which I think summarises the US involvement in many situations - capitalising on the efforts of worldwide inventors (who in those days were often British, or French, or Canadian as much as the US, but didnt have the wherewithal to implement them).

Transistors were as much German, as American.

Nuclear Power was German expertise, and history as follows :

"On June 27, 1954, the world's first nuclear power plant to generate electricity for a power grid started operations at Obninsk, USSR. The reactor was graphite moderated, water cooled and had a capacity of 5 megawatts (MW). It produced 5 megawatts (electrical), enough to power 2,000 homes.[8][9]

The world's first commercial nuclear power station, Calder Hall in Sellafield, England was opened in 1956, a gas-cooled Magnox reactor with an initial capacity of 50 MW (later 200 MW).[10]

The Shippingport Reactor (Pennsylvania, 1957), a pressurized water reactor, was the first commercial nuclear generator to become operational in the United States."

(so worldwide again)

....and so it goes on.

American involvement is in implementation of such things, therefore, but not really especially in the innovation (which seems spread around a whole host of western and far eastern countries). Certainly not in comparison with the size and resources of the country.

-Geoff
    it sounds like you're making innovation synonymous with invention. innovation is about implementation as well as invention. but anyway....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tes_inventions

http://www.govtech.net/magazine/chan..._content=story
    Both Switzerland and the US rank highest as Inventors because of their high academic achievement and high-tech advantage
    oh no! we tied! we're only one of the best...not THE ABSOLUTE BEST AT EVERYTHING! that must mean we're on par with Kazakhstan.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    it sounds like you're making innovation synonymous with invention. innovation is about implementation as well as invention. but anyway....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tes_inventions

http://www.govtech.net/magazine/chan..._content=story

oh no! we tied! we're only one of the best...not THE ABSOLUTE BEST AT EVERYTHING! that must mean we're on par with Kazakhstan.
    That's an interesting study, thank you for finding it!

There appears an odd inconsistency in it, in that it starts off by saying that the US wastes money.. $1,240 per capita on R&D, and then goes on to say it is joint tied in the Inventor category of top innovative countries. Maybe it is poorly drafted in that respect, as the study concluded the US is an inventor society.

I was indeed mixing my words, I was suggesting the US is good at making use of worldwide developments in a successful, commercial way (the classic capitalist response, I suppose) rather than having a disproportionate number of Inventors. Seems, I was wrong (or so the study says!). I'm still reserving judgement a little due to the tendency of statistics to be able to prove anything...

-Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Would someone tell me what exactly national character is? (I doubt that such a thing could exist at all).
    Of course it exists. If you put 100 random people on one island in the pacific and 100 random people on another island in the north atlantic, and then come back in 10 years, they will have confrontted different situations, and therefore developed cultures, which in turn have created different situations, and in turn further shaped the culture and influenced the people living there (after all, people are the sum of their experiences).
    dead man talking

MBTI
    INXP

Further thought.. I wonder why Scotland rocks so hard on inventiveness (it pains me to say it, as an Englishman). Too many wet windy days, so might as well find something interesting to tinker with?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions

-Geoff

Too many wet windy days, so might as well find something interesting to tinker with?
    Then we Welsh should have invented the nuclear bomb...my guess is it was actually all the whisky (if we're on national stereotypes rather than national character )
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    INFJ

Nope! I'd go SP of some sort. The French are addicted to sensory pleasure... in cuisine, in the way that no other country is. Live to eat, not eat to live, je
    pense.

I've not much noticed that France is known for extreme attention to detail and precision.. at least that I've ever come across; I work with French companies/people quite a bit, what made you say that?

-Geoff
    what about Italy?
    People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
    Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
    US cartoonist (1958 - )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by indigo2020 View Post
    what about Italy?
    ENFJ?

Welcoming..not too strong sense of "you must do this" (avoiding the Vatican influence here). Oh and fiery tempered.

Mind you I've only known a handful and then only briefly and at social gatherings so I'm biased.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?