We can be heroes Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default The good deeds of organized religion

To appease certain people, a thread devoted to positive contributions of organized religion.
    You and whose army?

Blogs:

Apeiron

Dr. Anaximander's Used Music Bin

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Anaximander View Post
    To appease certain people, a thread devoted to positive contributions of organized religion.
    Who you appeasing? Why did you think this necessary?

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes Doctor Anaximander, The Cat liked this post

All Good Things...

Certain People? as in plural? Jinkies, gang what a mystery... whomever could "they" be...

MBTI
    BELF
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, more about an individual, but still... There are folks out there with faith who are pursuing good things.

The Faith of Jimmy Carter | America Magazine

The Philanthropic Side of Jimmy Carter - American Profile

...if Graham is either the foil or forefather of current evangelical politics, then Jimmy Carter, the 39th president of the United States, is the road not taken. Today it may seem inevitable that evangelicals gravitated to the Republican Party in the 1980s; but Carter, the wealthy peanut farmer from Georgia who won the 1976 election as a Jesus-loving Democrat, complicates the story. Like the evangelical politicians who succeeded him, Carter talked about his “personal relationship with Jesus Christ” (and famously confessed to Playboy magazine, “I’ve committed adultery in my heart many times”). Yet as other evangelicals drifted to the religious right, Carter advocated universal health care, proposed cuts in military spending and denounced the tax code as “a welfare program for the rich.”

Voted out of office after his first term, Carter has dedicated himself to humanitarian work through the Carter Center, the nonpartisan human rights organization he and his wife founded in 1982. But Carter, now 93, remains adamant about the role of Christians in the political sphere. “I believe now, more than then, that Christians are called to plunge into the life of the world,” he writes in Faith: A Journey for All, “and to inject the moral and ethical values of our faith into the processes of governing.”

The goal of Faith: A Journey for All, as Carter states loftily in the Introduction, is “to explore the broader meaning of faith, its far-reaching effect on our lives, and its relationship to past, present, and future events in America and around the world.” Fortunately, the book is far less stuffy than such a description suggests. Peppered with stories from Carter’s political career and quotations from theologians, Faith is the religion-infused appeal of an elder statesman to the country he once governed. Though Carter’s evangelical faith is on full display, his appeal to readers is religiously neutral. Whether through the Bible, the Quran or the United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Carter entreats his fellow citizens to draw on “these visions of improved human interrelationships...to meet the challenges of the present moment.”
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"
    "You can't take a picture of this, it's already gone." ~ "Six Feet Under"

MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    You and whose army?

Blogs:

Apeiron

Likes Totenkindly, The Cat liked this post

Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Being from southeastern PA, I can't help but think of this. Also, more recently, they had better positions on the Iraq War than a lot of mainstream Democrats like Joe Biden.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Certain People? as in plural? Jinkies, gang what a mystery... whomever could "they" be...
    I cant wait for the unmasking to see if the meddling kids had it figured out all along...
    Likes The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    Well, more about an individual, but still... There are folks out there with faith who are pursuing good things.

The Faith of Jimmy Carter | America Magazine

The Philanthropic Side of Jimmy Carter - American Profile
    It seems that many examples will be of religious individuals rather than organizations. Those who questioned the orthodoxy of the status quo and went against popular consensus to fight injustice
    You and whose army?

Blogs:

Apeiron

Likes The Cat, Koto liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    He was my answer also.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes The Cat liked this post