• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you like to be a YouTube influencer?

Lark

Or some similar Instagram Star or Online/new media professional? If you could?

Do you consider this to be something that anyone can accomplish through their own efforts?

Is it something that you need a particular mindset for or is a particular skillset more important?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Or some similar Instagram Star or Online/new media professional? If you could? No

Do you consider this to be something that anyone can accomplish through their own efforts? No

Is it something that you need a particular mindset for or is a particular skillset more important? Yes

And it doesn't have to be a case of a You Tuber or influencer either. There are two things one needs to be successful at this type of work - marketing and manufacturing content. I have a friend who is also a stylist and she moved to her own place. She is learning that she needs to market her work to the social media world specifically so she is learning to use the tools to stay connected with her universe/audience. I do it to a lesser extent with my political position but it still requires marketing and content. But I don't think anyone can do this - you really do have to embrace the way that people communicate with you and your delivery of information or you won't be successful. It's more of a mindset and less of a skillset.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn’t mind being a guest on a podcast or series involving a topic of interest to me but I would not want the responsibility involved in running my own channel and raising money. It’s essentially a full time job for the few people who are successful as YouTube personalities. Ceecee already articulated a lot of what’s involved in doing this. I’d agree that not just anyone has the drive, know how, or personality and charisma to succeed at this. Even some of the people who do often come and go—it’s really only a handful of channels such as Angry Video Game Nerd, Red Letter Media, and a few others who have been able to establish a long term presence and retain an audience since the early days of YouTube

I do have a channel but it’s solely for uploading my own music compositions. I have absolutely zero interest in trying to turn it into a money making venture or making myself a YouTube celebrity but rather am simply interested in maximizing the number of outlets for my stuff to be heard

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't go as far as YouTube, but this is pretty much my alley so bad it's not even funny. One thing I learned fast is that due to social media, the world is large and very small at the exact same time. I know that on some sites, when it comes to like artwork, etc. There are bigger channels, accounts, etc that try to give a spotlight to smaller creators. Not even 10 minutes ago I saw a post an associate of mine commented on twitter about some art he made that was one of those aforementioned smaller content creator spotlights.
Do you consider this to be something that anyone can accomplish through their own efforts?

Yes, but working with others can't hurt. You should have a plan with the content you create so that you don't just create it and be like...what now? Sure, create it still, but have an idea of who'd want to see it, consume it, etc. Plus, there is the realization that everything eventually fades to a degree as time moves on. Games for example are a big example of this. A popular game now might not even be around in 5 years, or even another game might overtake. Looking at you PubG. They were out-taken by Fortnite.

Is it something that you need a particular mindset for or is a particular skillset more important?

You need to actually enjoy interacting with people. If you're a misanthrope or a Mal-adjusted introvert you're going to have a bad time. Having writing skills at the least could go good distance, as you gotta keep in mind you're delivering a message. Writing is just one way of delivering the message, but overall writing and other creative skills go a long way. I also agree with [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] about embracing how people communicate with you. Your company's twitter might not have as many follows as the Facebook page, so you have to adjust to where you get feedback and where you deliver information.

There are analytical tools out there for these sort of things. I recall seeing data a person I knew at one point gathered about days where they got the most responses on certain social media posts and interactions with content consumers.

Though yeah, if you're pessimistic about people, dislike interacting, dislike answering questions, or worse, you hate the creative process and would rather things be A -> Z, then you are going to hate it. I've seen some seriously horrendous attempts in the past, of people trying to get things out there. When it comes to social media influence, language barriers can be seriously troublesome for people.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I wouldn’t mind being a guest on a podcast or series involving a topic of interest to me but I would not want the responsibility involved in running my own channel and raising money. It’s essentially a full time job for the few people who are successful as YouTube personalities. Ceecee already articulated a lot of what’s involved in doing this. I’d agree that not just anyone has the drive, know how, or personality and charisma to succeed at this. Even some of the people who do often come and go—it’s really only a handful of channels such as Angry Video Game Nerd, Red Letter Media, and a few others who have been able to establish a long term presence and retain an audience since the early days of YouTube

I do have a channel but it’s solely for uploading my own music compositions. I have absolutely zero interest in trying to turn it into a money making venture or making myself a YouTube celebrity but rather am simply interested in maximizing the number of outlets for my stuff to be heard

I am much more of a podcast person (although I watch YT regularly and follow a variety of topics and channels).

I think screen time will become so exhausting for people - between Zoom calls for work and ordering food and household needs to school and the main means of communication in any way - audio will be a way to alleviate it. Audio books are already huge but I think podcasts, talk radio, music, news and everything in between and it will be mobile. I listen to my podcasts on my phone only and when I want to go outside and do something I do. With no screen fatigue.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am much more of a podcast person (although I watch YT regularly and follow a variety of topics and channels).

I think screen time will become so exhausting for people - between Zoom calls for work and ordering food and household needs to school and the main means of communication in any way - audio will be a way to alleviate it. Audio books are already huge but I think podcasts, talk radio, music, news and everything in between and it will be mobile. I listen to my podcasts on my phone only and when I want to go outside and do something I do. With no screen fatigue.

Yeah, I have to do a lot of remote work meetings now.

I’m at a point where I’m not glued to my cellphone nearly as much as I used to, and the YouTube stuff I’m now most into are things I can listen to without visuals. Books are nice too, I missed those

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or some similar Instagram Star or Online/new media professional? If you could?

I've often fantasized about being some sort of alternative social media celebrity who discusses dark themes and doesn't try so hard to be liked and adored by everyone. I definitely don't have it in me, though.

No.

Marketing skills are important as someone already mentioned. Generally good communication and ability to appeal to people charismatically is important. I also think that you need luck, good timing, and some kind of appeal, honestly.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't dislike the idea of it, but I don't think I would have enough to offer in this area. I find visual marketing and video editing fun, and coming up with ideas for videos would be interesting, but I'm not really compelled to share information or myself with the world to the degree that these people would have to. I wouldn't be able to pump out content consistently. I think I would do better working for a YouTuber or influencer who could be the center of attention for that long. I do enjoy the casual online community aspect a lot, though.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For some reason I find the term "influencer" kind of annoying. Some of it seems like an invasion of privacy for the family based ones. It's also a way for otherwise obscure people to become known and valued, so I feel badly that I find the notion annoying. I think it's mainly the term and some of the more standard types that annoy me. The term "branding" really annoys me as well. I think it's because it doesn't feel very truthful or authentic to me somehow. There are a couple of analysis based you tubers I watch and value. I would not want that feeling of responsibility and would feel bored and pressured as soon as people expected it from me.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
It seems that it can quickly take over your life.

Mole

Permabanned
Influenced by Meghan and Harry

Meghan and Harry are the role models of influencers.

Meghan knows that publicity is the lifeblood of influencing, no sacrifice is too great for publicity.

The media loves conflict so Meghan has chosen a conflict with the Queen of England to garner maximum publicity.

And Meghan has sacrificed Harry's job, his family, and his country, to reap the value of publicity in her own country.

Fortunately in her own country they love to pull down royalty, so Meghan and Harry are being given the royal treatment on Oprah Winfrey, and the viewers love it, seeing Royal Harry reduced to the parrot of Meghan. It doesn't get much better than this.

Jaguar

Meghan knows that publicity is the lifeblood of influencing, no sacrifice is too great for publicity.

The media loves conflict so Meghan has chosen a conflict with the Queen of England to garner maximum publicity.

And Meghan has sacrificed Harry's job, his family, and his country, to reap the value of publicity in her own country.

Fortunately in her own country they love to pull down royalty, so Meghan and Harry are being given the royal treatment on Oprah Winfrey, and the viewers love it, seeing Royal Harry reduced to the parrot of Meghan. It doesn't get much better than this.

The question asked in this thread is for you, not an invitation to post yet another off-topic personal attack on Harry's wife.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Anything to distract from the pedophile/sex offender issue you monarchists don't want to address.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'd want to be a big enough Youtuber where my Patreon is sick-nasty good but small enough to where my every move isn't being documented.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'd want to be a big enough Youtuber where my Patreon is sick-nasty good but small enough to where my every move isn't being documented.

We can't all be Philip DeFranco or Chapo Trap House.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You need a particular business mindset and a particular passion for it. Within that field of interest, you might say. So yes. It takes something you have, and puts it out into the world to influence. I do indeed want that. And I've had past experience with Youtube before copyright screwed that up. I have a few related goals still though and a decent business mindset I'd say. So it checks out. And yes, it can quickly take over your life, but I don't really care if it gives it a big purpose, especially if you can do good with it, then it's worth the sacrifice to me. IF you have that mindset anyway. Many do not. So it all depends on the individual as well. Meaning it isn't worth it or not worth it, cuz it's entirely based on the individual. And for many it can indeed be depressing, because of something they lack, and while I do desire a certain fame, I desire something deeper too. I won't forget nor forsake that in my path to .. exploration and discovery.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As they say: you can't spell influencer without a "flu".

However I am not fundamentally against the concept, but I would like to be one that deals with more serious stuff than the stuff that ends up on youtube.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I would say that Elizabeth von Battenberg must be glad that Meghan and Harry are attracting the spotlight to themselves and away from things like this:

Royals vetted more than 1,000 laws via Queen’s consent | UK news | The Guardian

As the Spanish royals have learned and are learning the hard way is that how dynasties of constitutional monarchs handle their finances is crucial for public support for individual royals and the institutiion of monarchy itself.