User Tag List

Thread: Canberra

Default Canberra

Canberra is one of the few successfully designed cities, designed from the ground up. We might say it is a designer city.

It was designed by Walter Burley Griffin in homage to the Garden City, and the Sacred City, incised into the landscape with sacred geometry, of ancient cities and Theosophy.

But most of all we fell in love with the trees, and each street is planted with its own special tree, from American Redwoods, to Japanese Maples, and every variety of Eucalyptus and Wattle, trees from all over the world, growing in harmony together, as we form our multi-cultural society under their canopy.

Canberrans are recognisable as casually privileged, they wear their privilege lightly, and would never insist on privilege in any setting.

Lenin taught us that Australia is the key to the oceans of the world, and this remains true today, as well as being the Southern Hemisphere key to Space. So we are taking advantage of our global position to form a global association with New Zealand, Canada, and Britain, called CANZUK.

We gave the world the Secret Ballot, compulsory voting, the female vote, the minimum living wage, the Aged Pension, not to mention penicillin, as well as world class medicine free for everyone.

We have a distinctive sense of humour that is deprecatory, and not just self deprecatory, which is not appreciated in the USA, who have a positive, upbeat sense of humour, and the Americans regularly instruct us that our sense of humour is destructive, but how can we stop ourselves from laughing?

We are called the Lucky Country because we weren't settled by five different countries at war with each other, but by one country that has kept the peace ever since, so we say, "There is no blood on the Wattle".

We inherited Parliamentary democracy, an independent legal system, and a free press, and as a bonus, we inherited the linga franca, the language of the world, the language of Shakespeare, on every lip.

On the darker side, we fought for our freedom, and our War Memorial is at one end of our Land Axis, facing our Parliament House, to remind us of the price we paid for our freedom.

Canberra was built and maintained by tradesmen, and is usually democratically ruled by the Labor Party and the Unions.

This is because Canberra is a city of the Industrial Age.

Interestingly, the Industrial Age is now the content of the new Electronic Age.

This is beautifully illustrated in our Tradesman Hotel where room after room contain floor to ceiling bookcases full of important and expensive books, but when we pick them up, we find they are empty cardboard boxes, expensively produced. And instead on the walls are vast electronic screens.

When the book is replaced by the screen, the book rises in status. So all these fake books are there to raise status.

We started with a dry, uninhabited, limestone plain and built an urban forest full of lakes, click Lake Burley Griffin 4k Video - YouTube.

Canberra was not achieved with immediate gratification, but with sustained delayed gratification.

Just as understanding ourselves and others is not achieved with the immediate gratification of mbti, but with the delayed gratification of psychometrics.

It is really a question of character. An impoverished character seeks the default position of immediate gratification, while the quality character builds the future with delayed gratification.

Canberrans are casually privileged, because we are casually afforded luxuries.

The first luxury Canberra afforded me is space. Yes, space is the greatest luxury. I live in the centre of a Capital City surrounded by luxurious space, we even have space for our kangaroos in our parks.

The second luxury Canberra affords me is fresh, plump oysters from the South Coast at a reasonable price. And surprisingly it takes high tech to get them to me fresh as off the rocks, excellent refrigeration, excellent logistics, and ccmmunication, and perfect timing, to get these delicious oysters to me ih the Southern Highlands of New South Wales every day of the week except Monday. Even the Pharaohs of Egypt would envy my luxury.

Of course I am quietly luxurious, as is our want. But as I think of the luxury afforded to me, I breathe more deeply and relax. Just the other day I was observed sleeping during the day, and I was told I looked like a contented soul. And it doesn't get much better than that.

They say the best season in Canberra is Autumn, when the trees turn golden red, the air is warm, the sun is shinning, in fact we are in an Indian summer in Canberra at this very moment, but our sister Continent, Antarctica, can't enjoy our pleasure, and is reaching out to us, to dust the mountains with snow, and embrace us with the cold.

All of a sudden it has gone from warm to cold as Antarctica reaches out to us.

We have three Continents to contend with: Australia, Antarctica, and our new Continent, Zealandia.

Australia is the driest inhabited Continent, Antarctica the coldest, and most of Zealandia is under water.

So we will need lots of investment to build infrastructure.

Is that Mandarin I hear coming to our rescue?