• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Impeachment 2: Orange Tub of Goo

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nikki Haley is apparently breaking with Trump, but in such a spineless way that it's not of much use to stop him. Politico: Nikki Haley’s Time for Choosing

So, I asked, how should the president be held accountable?

“I think he’s going to find himself further and further isolated,” Haley said. “I think his business is suffering at this point. I think he’s lost any sort of political viability he was going to have. I think he’s lost his social media, which meant the world to him. I mean, I think he’s lost the things that really could have kept him moving.”

I reminded her that Trump has been left for dead before; that the base always rallied behind him. I also reminded her that the argument for impeachment—and conviction—is that he would be barred from holding federal office again.

“He’s not going to run for federal office again,” Haley said.

But what if he does? Or at least, what if he spends the next four years threatening to? Can the Republican Party heal with Trump in the picture?

“I don’t think he’s going to be in the picture,” she said, matter-of-factly. “I don’t think he can. He’s fallen so far.”

This was the most certainty I’d heard from any Republican in the aftermath of January 6. And Haley wasn’t done.

“We need to acknowledge he let us down,” she said. “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

This^ was just after this writer described an interview with her a month earlier:

“I don’t think certain people around him are telling him the truth.”

Haley had that part right. The president was surrounded by grifters and yes-men of the worst sort. But what about Haley? She was supposed to have more self-respect than a Mark Meadows or a Rudy Giuliani or a Michael Flynn. Why didn’t she tell Trump the truth?

She never offered an explanation for this. What she did offer was reassurance, in the face of my alarm about where all of this might be headed, that everything would be fine. Her friend wasn’t going to do anything crazy.

“If this case falls through,” Haley said, referencing the Texas lawsuit, “He’s going to go on his way.”

She had that part wrong. A few weeks later, Trump stood before a crowd of thousands of MAGA supporters and urged them to march on the Capitol: “We must stop the steal…”

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
From a surprising source: Washington Examiner. Coach Tuberville blew the whistle on Donald Trump
The House impeachment managers already have built a strong and massive case. They convincingly have argued that Trump bore significant blame for recklessly riling up an angrily chanting mob to make a show of “force” to intimidate Congress into refusing to complete the electoral vote count. Not even they, though, had closed the loop of responsibility entirely. Trump’s defenders still could have offered excuses, extremely thin yet sounding at least plausible, why Trump’s culpability was limited enough to avoid Senate conviction.

Tuberville’s report takes away those excuses. Trump knew then Pence was in danger, but he kept inciting the mob against his own loyal lieutenant. The mob came within a minute of reaching its target.

Trump should be convicted, forthwith.

No mention of all the other officials being targeted (i.e. Democrats), so it's still portraying the situation as less severe than it was, but if that's what it takes to convince a few people then so be it.

There is no way. NO WAY Tommy Tuberville wrote any of this. Not a word. He couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag.

- - - Updated - - -

Nikki Haley is apparently breaking with Trump, but in such a spineless way that it's not of much use to stop him. Politico: Nikki Haley’s Time for Choosing
So, I asked, how should the president be held accountable?

“I think he’s going to find himself further and further isolated,” Haley said. “I think his business is suffering at this point. I think he’s lost any sort of political viability he was going to have. I think he’s lost his social media, which meant the world to him. I mean, I think he’s lost the things that really could have kept him moving.”

I reminded her that Trump has been left for dead before; that the base always rallied behind him. I also reminded her that the argument for impeachment—and conviction—is that he would be barred from holding federal office again.

“He’s not going to run for federal office again,” Haley said.

But what if he does? Or at least, what if he spends the next four years threatening to? Can the Republican Party heal with Trump in the picture?

“I don’t think he’s going to be in the picture,” she said, matter-of-factly. “I don’t think he can. He’s fallen so far.”

This was the most certainty I’d heard from any Republican in the aftermath of January 6. And Haley wasn’t done.

“We need to acknowledge he let us down,” she said. “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

This^ was just after this writer described an interview with her a month earlier:
“I don’t think certain people around him are telling him the truth.”

Haley had that part right. The president was surrounded by grifters and yes-men of the worst sort. But what about Haley? She was supposed to have more self-respect than a Mark Meadows or a Rudy Giuliani or a Michael Flynn. Why didn’t she tell Trump the truth?

She never offered an explanation for this. What she did offer was reassurance, in the face of my alarm about where all of this might be headed, that everything would be fine. Her friend wasn’t going to do anything crazy.

“If this case falls through,” Haley said, referencing the Texas lawsuit, “He’s going to go on his way.”

She had that part wrong. A few weeks later, Trump stood before a crowd of thousands of MAGA supporters and urged them to march on the Capitol: “We must stop the steal…”

I think she and Marco Rubio should run together. See who bends the knee to Trump faster when they need an endorsement.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hell maybe Trump should hire me as a speech writer.

Just kidding, I'd rather take the firing squad over being his speech writer, at least the pain would be over quicker.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is no way. NO WAY Tommy Tuberville wrote any of this. Not a word. He couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag.

I know very little about Washington Examiner except that (if memory serves, and if my observations were remotely accurate) they're about as biased as Huff Post in the other direction. This piece is supposedly based on things Tuberstuffs said to reporters. Are you thinking it's just flat out incorrect (or simply venting about how stupid Tuberwhats is, or some other thing)?

I think she and Marco Rubio should run together. See who bends the knee to Trump faster when they need an endorsement.

It's ridiculous how much relief I feel every single time one of these bozos is willing to make a statement confirming Trump's claims of election fraud are simply not true, but the periphery spinelessness is just pathetic. In spite of this pocket of visceral disgust she claims to feel, I can totally see her going back into sycophant lackey mode for his support without missing a beat.

Jaguar

So, around 2:15, Tuberville told Trump that security forces had whisked Pence away from the chamber. By 2:20, all members of Congress were being removed from both chambers. Four minutes after that, nine minutes after Trump’s call with Tuberville, Trump tweeted his new attack on Pence. Pence and his family were still in the building. Two minutes after Trump’s tweet, security evacuated the vice president entirely — less than a single minute before the mob reached the room where the Pences had been held.

Every time I read crazy shit like this, I think of his interview with Charlie Rose in the 90's when he said he loves getting even with people. Grow the fuck up, Dickwad Don.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I'm hard pressed to believe there isn't already an impeachment discussion happening, and it's 95% likely I just can't find it, but here we are.
Just to comment on this point, I think the lack of interest is due to the outcome being a forgone conclusion. It's really just a show trial.

IMO, Trump is obviously guilty as charged, and he will just as obviously get acquitted due to partisan politics.

Nevertheless, I support going through the motions of the impeachment process. At some point, maybe 20 years hence, I think history will look back upon Trumpism similar to McCarthyism, with kind of a "what the hell were people thinking" mindset.

So I think it is important to let the record show, many people had not lost their minds and wanted to hold Trump accountable, even though the politics of the day precluded any success.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just to comment on this point, I think the lack of interest is due to the outcome being a forgone conclusion. It's really just a show trial.

It is, but I think lack of discussion is more about fatigue. Two years ago there would be 50 pages of incredulity and vitriol by now, but it's all already been said ad nauseam from the first impeachment.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Stuff like this used to be the first class event but at this point here no one seem to be really paying attention. Since this is all kinda business as usual at this point.

Just saying.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Stuff like this used to be the first class event but at this point here no one seem to be really paying attention. Since this is all kinda business as usual at this point.

Just saying.

Maybe it's because the Trump lawyer Michael van der Veen is a personal injury attorney?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe it's because the Trump lawyer Michael van der Veen is a personal injury attorney?

I mean Trump did suffer a personal injury.....his pride.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Senate Republicans apparently threatened to use the filibuster to stop all other senate business -- including COVID19 relief for desperate American families -- if this trial were to continue and hear witnesses.

Abolish the senate. Greatly expand a unicameral legislature to actually represent the population of the US.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the five Republicans that voted with Democrats to call witnesses was Lindsey Graham? Why?

Trump attorney Bruce Castor said his side would call "lots" of witnesses. Van der Veen threatened to call House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Vice President Harris as witnesses.

A Trump aide was photographed with a list containing, it claimed, 301 witnesses (so far). Among them was Pelosi, Harris, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., a New York Times photographer, Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser as well several of the House managers.

And why exactly it this a threat to Democrats?

They've since resolved not to have witnesses, but still, WTH is that?

Jaguar

EuCo5nUXMAMqe25

Lark

Just saying.

That's interesting, if this is true then it'll work against the Trump cult as they need attention to survive and if everyone tires of them it will be the death of them.