User Tag List

12 Last

Default Will travel become obsolete?

The pandemic has seen an acceleration in the use of screen tech for communications, people dont need to needlessly travel for meetings at central locations, there have been improvements in viewing technology, including TVs with pictures so good you may as well be there, only without the inconveniences of travel, scrum and press of crowds of strangers, so my question is will travel become obsolete? Do you think it should?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Travel will never become obsolete.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes The Cat liked this post

As a whole, absolutely not. Will some businesses able to do so transition to remote only permanently? Yes. For some industries it just makes too much sense to not have to worry about not having a physical location and all potential legalities that can arise when you have people sharing space. Others that require having a physical office obviously will have such a space.

As far as recreational travel? It'll never be obsolete. In fact, I imagine they'll be a big tourism boom in certain places once the world is back to normal.
    The order of preference for your cognitive functions appears to be
    Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Fi > Fe = Se > Si

PhD in the mundane Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    953 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

no, it will just change. Trucks still need to travel about to deliver all those goods, increasingly so now that more people are ordering everything online. People will still want to travel to other countries or regions as well. Less people will travel to work if work from home becomes more common. Hopefully this will alleviate our carbon footprints and take some strain off decaying infrastructure.
    Likes Red Memories liked this post

phallus impudicus Peter Deadpan's Avatar

Eventually everything and all of existence will become obsolete.
    Likes Lark, Abcdenfp, Red Memories, Jaune liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post

Classic Deadpan.

To the waters of the wild FemMecha's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

People really love travel. IDK. I think more telecommuting will result in people having less sense of distance, so that travel between countries for work becomes as common as driving 10 miles to work, although maybe less will be done daily, but further travels weekly or monthly? I think concept of geographical distance will change.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W8

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    As a whole, absolutely not. Will some businesses able to do so transition to remote only permanently? Yes. For some industries it just makes too much sense to not have to worry about not having a physical location and all potential legalities that can arise when you have people sharing space. Others that require having a physical office obviously will have such a space.

As far as recreational travel? It'll never be obsolete. In fact, I imagine they'll be a big tourism boom in certain places once the world is back to normal.
    we are really hoping so as a country that 80% of our economy depends HEAVILY on tourism. I hope people are as excited to travel as we are to have the tourist back. Although there is a lot of concern for us with the new travel quarantine restrictions that are being proposed. Most of our American visitors come for 4-5 days max ( Europeans tend to be a month)
    "I have spoken."
    Likes Stigmata, Red Memories liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    But you wont live to see it.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...

For the cat is cryptic,
    and close to strange things which men cannot see.
    He is the soul of antique Aegyptus,
    and bearer of tales from forgotten cities in Meroë and Ophir.
    He is the kin of the jungle’s lords,
    and heir to the secrets of hoary and sinister Africa.
    The Sphinx is his cousin, and he speaks her language;
    but he is more ancient than the Sphinx,
    and remembers that which she hath forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by Abcdenfp View Post
    we are really hoping so as a country that 80% of our economy depends HEAVILY on tourism. I hope people are as excited to travel as we are to have the tourist back. Although there is a lot of concern for us with the new travel quarantine restrictions that are being proposed. Most of our American visitors come for 4-5 days max ( Europeans tend to be a month)
    I think they will be. Not only has most of the world been locked up for the past year, for a lot of people this is the first real existential threat they've been forced to endure. Certainly the one with the most real consequences to their everyday lives. I imagine people will be inclined more to do certain things and see the world now that we've been shown that putting those goals and desire off for tomorrow isn't necessarily guaranteed.
    The order of preference for your cognitive functions appears to be
    Ne > Ti > Te = Ni > Fi > Fe = Se > Si
    Likes Red Memories, Abcdenfp liked this post