User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default Cancel culture is fine in some cases

It's pretty basic that if a person does bad shit they can be shunned or looked down on.

so why then is cancel culture bad?
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram
    469 so/sp

Cancel culture shuns divergence of thought. Aka, once you seal yourself into one way of thinking, there are no alternatives based on your reasoning. One should accept that there is flaws in every reality, regardless of what one believes. One cannot know all the pitfalls of every scenario. That one way of thinking, isn't good.
    Last edited by тень; 11-17-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    487 sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Cancel culture or not, there will still be secret support for cancelled opinions as long as some people find them desirable. These opinions may get uncancelled in a near or distant future.

This kind of cancelling doesn't actually "cancel" any opinions except their mass visibility.

I really hate cancel culture, but something decent does happen from it because of the reason above : cancelled opinions will cease to be shared among people who don't know/understand these opinions, or only know/understand them superficially. Those who still believe in cancelled opinions will work on these opinions in a "private" way, like an uncentralized think tank.
    I didn't choose my way of thinking. My way of thinking chose me.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    215 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you personally cancel something to yourself and perhaps discuss your opinion, it is one thing.

the point of outrage or cancel culture is to take away others ability to rationalize and choose for themselves, which takes away freedom. For instance, I do not like Chris Brown's behavior and abusive nature so I do not support his career. If someone asks me, I will state why I dislike and do not actively look for Chris Brown cds. But if you listen to Chris Brown, that's your decision and your business.

After all,
    How can you run from what is inside of you?

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by tony_goth View Post
    Cancel culture or not, there will still be secret support for cancelled opinions as long as some people find them desirable. These opinions may get uncancelled in a near or distant future.

This kind of cancelling doesn't actually "cancel" any opinions except their mass visibility.

I really hate cancel culture, but something decent does happen from it because of the reason above : cancelled opinions will cease to be shared among people who don't know/understand these opinions, or only know/understand them superficially. Those who still believe in cancelled opinions will work on these opinions in a "private" way, like an uncentralized think tank.
    it's not opinions that are cancelled but people. and what's wrong with that in principle?
    Likes tony_goth liked this post

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    487 sx
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by theablekingedgar View Post
    it's not opinions that are cancelled but people. and what's wrong with that in principle?
    What is wrong ? People and their opinions are not the same thing. But as most people seem to confuse them, it is the best interest of the people who don't agree with the opinions they wish to cancel, and who have the authority to cancel people who hold these opinions, to cancel that people. The opinion war is... a business, and businesses who can make competitors go bust will do it when it's their interest. Nothing really personal I think, even if it looks personal to people who know about the cancelling.

Thank you for helping me, I didn't think of that originally. I still think "wrong" things may have a "good" effect.
    I didn't choose my way of thinking. My way of thinking chose me.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by tony_goth View Post
    What is wrong ? People and their opinions are not the same thing. But as most people seem to confuse them, it is the best interest of the people who don't agree with the opinions they wish to cancel, and who have the authority to cancel people who hold these opinions, to cancel that people. The opinion war is... a business, and businesses who can make competitors go bust will do it when it's their interest. Nothing really personal I think, even if it looks personal to people who know about the cancelling.

Thank you for helping me, I didn't think of that originally. I still think "wrong" things may have a "good" effect.
    Well from what I understand, it's when people get denied business or opportunities due to things they've said or done. In principle, I don't see much wrong with this. The issue then is the extent and nature of cancel culture.
    Harvey Weinstein was rightly cancelled, but should he be accepted if he gets released from jail? Is it wrong to even disassociate from him? Many who oppose cancel culture say it is when to me that seems inhumane and unnatural. People hold a right to disapprove of actions, especially those which are harmful to others.
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    215 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by theablekingedgar View Post
    "Cancelling" a human being is actually kind of worse than cancelling an idea. Human beings have thoughts, feelings, and etc. and some of the things people get "cancelled" for is ridiculous. Sure, maybe cancelling someone like Harvey Weinstein wouldn't be such a bad idea, but say, the cancelling of people for saying stupid shit when they were 15 that gets pulled up just because they're famous now? Go ahead, lie and tell me no 15 year old says stupid shit. It sends them tons of hate, suggests the world was better without them, and moreless is a small gesture of "go kill yourself." Morally, it is actually not really okay.

After all,
    How can you run from what is inside of you?

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Red Memories View Post
    "Cancelling" a human being is actually kind of worse than cancelling an idea. Human beings have thoughts, feelings, and etc. and some of the things people get "cancelled" for is ridiculous. Sure, maybe cancelling someone like Harvey Weinstein wouldn't be such a bad idea, but say, the cancelling of people for saying stupid shit when they were 15 that gets pulled up just because they're famous now? Go ahead, lie and tell me no 15 year old says stupid shit. It sends them tons of hate, suggests the world was better without them, and moreless is a small gesture of "go kill yourself." Morally, it is actually not really okay.
    I agree in this case.

To the waters of the wild Siúil a Rún's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

Child education and resources is an area that requires moderation and censorship because of developmental issues. They cannot process information in the same manner as adults, so I can appreciate the need for some of this. There is also a way in which it can be taken too far. The best example was Jerry Falwell trying to boycott Tinky Winky as being gay. It was because he carried a "purse" wore purple and had an inverted triangle over his head, which Falwell correlated with the gay movement. My understanding is that he supposed this would encourage children to form homosexual relationships later in life. That sort of bizarre leap is damaging to children.

Generally I think boycotting should be an absolute last resort and in most cases a problematic or potentially harmful idea, creative work, quote, etc. should be accompanied by discussion or additional information. People get very satiated over boycotts and it generally intensifies attachment to it. It creates polarization where some people boycott and fear and others embrace for all they are worth, neither based on reasoning. Instead open discussions where ideas are challenged is what society needs.

Boycott is now used as an intentional marketing technique with a lot of success. The movie "Plandemic" used it, many conspiracy theories rely on it to convince followers, politicians like Donald Trump uses it for his branding and constructed personae. It is one of the most effective marketing tools now.
    Likes Red Memories, tony_goth liked this post