• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Will you take the COVID vaccine in 2021?

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
My shoulder is a little sore today. That's about it. :shrug:

Same. The first time around I had arm soreness shortly after the shot, yet this time the arm soreness didn't kick in until this morning after having my shot yesterday. No other adverse side effects unlike the first shot, either. I did notice my wifi speeds have been off the charts though.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In this part of the world 30% are vaccinated (seniors, people with preexisting conditions and some essential workers) but most people still can't make an appointment. My husband might have a chance at leftover vaccine at the end of a workday (you get on a special waiting list and receive a phone call when they have stuff left due to noshows that they'd otherwise have to throw away - then you have to show up within 20 minutes or lose your opportunity) because he is a teacher. I will probably have to wait at least another month before I can even make an appointment because I am not a priority. The kids are so young they will have to wait until next year before the stuff is cleared for their age group.

At the same time the head of the RKI (our CDC) says some 80% would have to be vaccinated for this to be completely over. *sigh*

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
At the same time the head of the RKI (our CDC) says some 80% would have to be vaccinated for this to be completely over. *sigh*

Even that is questionable: Since that 80% needs to be spread equally across the territory/people. 80% vaccinated works if random people don't come too close on the street. However if you are having a party you basically need to have 100% to fully stop the spreed. Therefore if a group of anti-vaxers makes a party there will be problems for sure (since that is the concentration of that remaining 20%). So yeah, hunting this down to the last case will take time.

Lark

Even that is questionable: Since that 80% needs to be spread equally across the territory/people. 80% vaccinated works if random people don't come too close on the street. However if you are having a party you basically need to have 100% to fully stop the spreed. Therefore if a group of anti-vaxers makes a party there will be problems for sure (since that is the concentration of that remaining 20%). So yeah, hunting this down to the last case will take time.

I think pandemics are going to separate the mature societies from the chaotic, edgelord ones, and the chaotic, edgelord ones are all going to die.

If the collateral damage or externalities impacting on mature societies can be limited it could turn out to be for the best.

Instead I think the rich will use it to kill as many poor, sick, stricken people as they can.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think pandemics are going to separate the mature societies from the chaotic, edgelord ones, and the chaotic, edgelord ones are all going to die.

If the collateral damage or externalities impacting on mature societies can be limited it could turn out to be for the best.

Instead I think the rich will use it to kill as many poor, sick, stricken people as they can.

Well in the beginning of this I said that this will rock a number of strongman across the world ... and that seems to be the case. Actually in the case that there aren't any China-Russia vaccines in the mix this effect would be even more visible. However this will evidently limit this domino effect.

But the world will never be quite the same after this. There is just too many changes on the global map and too many paradigm shifts.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No side effects but I heard Bill Gates singing Mambo Number 5 in my dreams last night. This morning I was watching videos and thought I saw OBEY and CONSUME briefly flash across my screen. Weird.

Lark

Well in the beginning of this I said that this will rock a number of strongman across the world ... and that seems to be the case. Actually in the case that there aren't any China-Russia vaccines in the mix this effect would be even more visible. However this will evidently limit this domino effect.

But the world will never be quite the same after this. There is just too many changes on the global map and too many paradigm shifts.

I'd hope but I'm not sure that its likely to be the case.

I think its highlighted the serious erosion of sensibility and society in that the spontaneous community and personal, ie non-governmental, response has been inadequate, even gotten mixed up with all this juvenile disobedience that passes for libertarianism in societies with bad education.

That wouldnt be so bad if there was still competent governance and some sort of state capacities to respond but there's not. Its kind of incredible the extent to which states cant deal with disease and natural disaster these days. Forget war or invasion or whether or not you've got nuclear subs sailing about the country cant deal with bad weather and people falling sick in large numbers.

Both of those trends and the various ideologies which are propping both of them up and perpetuating them are as clear an indication as you can get that there's a sort of maturational crisis that at least the anglo-sphere is mired in. I think looking to political elites and old money, the two key players in the anglo-sphere, to sort this out is a little bit like thinking you can get solid, safe advice on overcoming addictions from your dope dealer or drug pusher.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'd hope but I'm not sure that its likely to be the case.

I think its highlighted the serious erosion of sensibility and society in that the spontaneous community and personal, ie non-governmental, response has been inadequate, even gotten mixed up with all this juvenile disobedience that passes for libertarianism in societies with bad education.

That wouldnt be so bad if there was still competent governance and some sort of state capacities to respond but there's not. Its kind of incredible the extent to which states cant deal with disease and natural disaster these days. Forget war or invasion or whether or not you've got nuclear subs sailing about the country cant deal with bad weather and people falling sick in large numbers.

Both of those trends and the various ideologies which are propping both of them up and perpetuating them are as clear an indication as you can get that there's a sort of maturational crisis that at least the anglo-sphere is mired in. I think looking to political elites and old money, the two key players in the anglo-sphere, to sort this out is a little bit like thinking you can get solid, safe advice on overcoming addictions from your dope dealer or drug pusher.

Just as democracies got rocked, that is how some dictators got rocked. The virus doesn't spare anyone (but we were talking about dictators).
Plus I actually doubt that you would have current administration in US in the case that pandemic didn't happen. Not to mention that China got a fair dosage of bad rep. for its behavior on the topic. Therefore some things did change fundamentally and probably for the better.

Your problem here is that your logic is bound to the UK and that means that nothing or little ever fundamentally changes. Not to mention there is deep fear of fundamental change. While towards my part of the world deep change is constant and all of this is just on time, one major mess every generation. Therefore even if everything crashes you should just take what is left and build from scratch, what has it's beauty since debts and similar problems will be undone with the crash. It is true that for me it is easier since my country isn't falling apart to smaller pieces, but as I mentioned plenty of times before I have seen even that part. So for me all of this in the end is just a part of life. It is corny saying but it is true.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I got my second shot of pfizer a while ago. No symptoms besides a sore arm.

My mom got moderna and her arm swelled up, and her neck, and she had these horrible looking blisters. It was red and hot to the touch and just looked bad. She also basically had a flu level illness for about a week where she could barely get out of bed.

My dad got moderna and was tired for a day and had a sore arm.

Its weird how differently these shots can impact people. I wonder if I would have had a reaction like my moms with moderna or if I would have had a similar reaction to what I had with pfizer. My mom is not a whiner when it comes to physical illness and so I fully believe her when she says how awful it made her feel- plus- I saw it. Her arm looked scary. Her lymph nodes were all swollen and eventually her arm turned from red to purpleish.

Shes fine now, but man it hit her hard

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The German federal government has decided that now anybody can apply for an appointment for AstraZeneca or Johnson and Johnson (the vector vaccines). However, the federal state we just moved to recently decided to only use mRNA vaccines, so there are no free appointments in sight. They are still busy with the aged and those with disabilities. Our old federal state would at least theoretically allow an application for an appointment. Oh well...

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A month later and still no chance of getting an appointment for "normal" (I. e. non-priority) people.

This is people in my former hometown standing in line around several blocks since 4 am when one GP announced they'd do walk-in vaccinations:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
A month later and still no chance of getting an appointment for "normal" (I. e. non-priority) people.

This is people in my former hometown standing in line around several blocks since 4 am when one GP announced they'd do walk-in vaccinations:

Is that because of your "getting over COVID" or people of your age in mass have this problem ?

(I already have both doses)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is that because of your "getting over COVID" or people of your age in mass have this problem ?

(I already have both doses)

There is not enough vaccine around.

They haven't even finished vaccinating the elderly and people with preconditions yet. My mother and my in-laws are vaccinated and I know of one friend my age who got lucky, but most middle aged or young people are still waiting.
We are currently at around 48% vaccinated. There is still a long way to go.

Part of the problem is that there are severe supply issues with mRNA vaccines. Another problem is that Astra Zeneca isn't very popular even though it's a perfectly fine vaccine (just not as good as the others). I read that many elderly refuse to be vaccinated with AZ and official recommendations keep changing. I have read that it is mostly young, educated people willing to get AZ even though it is currently recommend for the elderly only.

Mostly it's about serious supply issues though (and some bad organisation due to bureaucracy). There just isn't enough vaccine for everyone and doctor's offices are completely overrun by people demanding to be vaccinated who then bully the assisstants when they hear there are hundreds of people before them. I haven't even tried getting an appointment because the website of the local vaccination center says "no vaccancies" as does the statewide waiting list.

The way things are going I think I might be able to get something (probably Astra Zeneca) sometime in August.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There is not enough vaccine around.

They haven't even finished vaccinating the elderly and people with preconditions yet. My mother and my in-laws are vaccinated and I know of one friend my age who got lucky, but most middle aged or young people are still waiting.
We are currently at around 48% vaccinated. There is still a long way to go.

Part of the problem is that there are severe supply issues with mRNA vaccines. Another problem is that Astra Zeneca isn't very popular even though it's a perfectly fine vaccine (just not as good as the others). I read that many elderly refuse to be vaccinated with AZ and official recommendations keep changing. I have read that it is mostly young, educated people willing to get AZ even though it is currently recommend for the elderly only.

Mostly it's about serious supply issues though (and some bad organisation due to bureaucracy). There just isn't enough vaccine for everyone and doctor's offices are completely overrun by people demanding to be vaccinated who then bully the assisstants when they hear there are hundreds of people before them. I haven't even tried getting an appointment because the website of the local vaccination center says "no vaccancies" as does the statewide waiting list.

The way things are going I think I might be able to get something (probably Astra Zeneca) sometime in August.

But I would say there is good element in all this. Which is that not enough supply means that there is large demand, what means that people will actually get vaccinated. What then probably means much less drama in next colder days. Since there will evidently be spills from the less developed countries, where the pandemic still openly rages and vaccination isn't on the horizon.

Here if we get to the 50% vaccinated we can be happy (now it is at 33%). So the autumn wave will probably have to push people to get the vaccine in larger numbers (and there will probably be drama and lockdowns in less vaccinated parts).

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow. I accidentally came across an announcement that our local authority is offering 150 doses of AstraZeneca on tuesday morning on a first come first served basis. So if I get in line early enough in the morning I actually might get lucky. This goes against national and regional policy (national says to use AZ on the elderly due to differences in sideeffect and regional policy is only to use mRNA) , but this might be my best shot at a shot for weeks or months to come. So keep your fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Update: I got my first jab! I had to stand in line for over an hour, but the line wasn't as long as I had feared.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did Pfizer. 2nd shot gave me side effects (worst headache I'd had in 2 decades and 2 days of sleepy hell) but then it was over. No side effects since (no COVID, and I never had it before the vaccine either)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I got my first jab last week. It was Astrazeneca. At the second day after vaccination, I could only take a bed rest because my body felt weary and headache. They gave me paracetamol.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Second shot completed today. I am relieved , we are running out of vacinne as it is hard to come by . So i am DONE! i can travel again. Which staying on an island for almost 2 years has been hard to say the least. My symptoms from the first shot finally subsided. I am one week later then the recommended time. but it was the right time for me.