• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Biden Administration

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It looks as if another red senator is retiring (Missouri).
This looks almost as if all these people see where the party is going (or someone is pushing them out).

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Apparently bitching about it was the goal for some, not actually getting it done. ;)

I know this is cultural from my side but I just don't get how you can vote against this large stimulus bill and then face your own base afterwards. Since clear majority of the base really really needs at least some components of that bill. In my culture this would simply be a political suicide. They took the gun out of the closet, they put it in their mouth and then pulled the trigger .... and everything got recorded by security camera. It really can't be much more clearer than this.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know this is cultural from my side but I just don't get how you can vote against this large stimulus bill and then face your own base afterwards. Since clear majority of the base really really needs at least some components of that bill. In my culture this would simply be a political suicide. They took the gun out of the closet, they put it in their mouth and then pulled the trigger .... and everything got recorded by security camera. It really can't be much more clearer than this.

It's the neoliberal paradigm and the idea of crony capitalism as an somehow being fundamental to American society and "the best we can do." If they talk about Dr. Seuss and Mr Potatohead enough, they could probably get away with it unscathed, since children's toys seem like a pressing issue for the GOP base.

Obviously a stimulus bill is better than none, but Biden really should have just run the thing through reconciliation. I don't care much about the fact that I'm not eligible for it since I don't need it, but there were probably other things people needed that got watered down because of the fruitless attempt at reaching a bipartisan consensus.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It's the neoliberal paradigm and the idea of crony capitalism as an somehow being fundamental to American society and "the best we can do." If they talk about Dr. Seuss and Mr Potatohead enough, they could probably get away with it unscathed, since children's toys seem like a pressing issue for the GOP base.

Obviously a stimulus bill is better than none, but Biden really should have just run the thing through reconciliation. I don't care much about the fact that I'm not eligible for it since I don't need it, but there were probably other things people needed that got watered down because of the fruitless attempt at reaching a bipartisan consensus.

I don't know enough details to judge the details of the story.
However this should evidently be better than nothing, especially when it comes to 2022 midterms. Especially since in the end this was partisan instead of bipartisan vote.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know enough details to judge the details of the story.
However this should evidently be better than nothing, especially when it comes to 2022 midterms. Especially since in the end this was partisan instead of bipartisan vote.

I do agree that it's better than nothing. It's ludicrous that "nothing" was even on the table.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I do agree that it's better than nothing. It's ludicrous that "nothing" was even on the table.

Ludicrous or not it was evidently on the table. Since in US it is just too easy to make a wrong turn and the whole concept just goes up in flames. What in this case would really complicate things in the moment and on the long run. This is why I am not too much for trashing Biden since this is the best the country will get at this point and this is kinda the only real dam towards returning of what was before (or perhaps even worse). Therefore the guy should get some breathing room since he has the minefield in the party, minefield in the house, minefield in the senate, minefield in the supreme court, minefield on social media and one big minefield abroad. Therefore any major rising of pressures and causing open hysteria about the guy probably isn't the smartest idea at this point. Now it is time for descalations and fixing as much as you can under the circumstances. Since there is enough mess for everyone to take part in this.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ludicrous or not it was evidently on the table. Since in US it is just too easy to make a wrong turn and the whole concept just goes up in flames. What in this case would really complicate things in the moment and on the long run. This is why I am not too much for trashing Biden since this is the best the country will get at this point and this is kinda the only real dam towards returning of what was before (or perhaps even worse). Therefore the guy should get some breathing room since he has the minefield in the party, minefield in the house, minefield in the senate, minefield in the supreme court, minefield on social media and one big minefield abroad. Therefore any major rising of pressures and causing open hysteria about the guy probably isn't the smartest idea at this point. Now it is time for descalations and fixing as much as you can under the circumstances. Since there is enough mess for everyone to take part in this.

I don't want him to make the same mistakes Obama made which just got us Trump. And it's hard for me to think he won't do that because he ran as being a continuation of Obama.

But I will say I do appreciate you actually giving rationale for your statements instead of pushing out ineffectual insults, unconvincingly maligining my character, and switching the topic to something irrelevant. These are how productive conversations happen, ideas are shared, and minds are changed.

Intellectually, I rebel somewhat at the notion of not speaking my mind just because it creates a perception that I'm on the wrong "team." But that's probably the world we live in. I just don't think the way Trump supporters mindlessly stuck by him is something I want to aspire to emulate in a Biden administration. The idea of doing so makes me very uncomfortable.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I don't want him to make the same mistakes Obama made which just got us Trump. And it's hard for me to think he won't do that because he ran as being a continuation of Obama.

But I will say I do appreciate you actually giving rationale for your statements instead of pushing out ineffectual insults, unconvincingly maligining my character, and switching the topic to something irrelevant. These are how productive conversations happen, ideas are shared, and minds are changed.

Intellectually, I rebel somewhat at the notion of not speaking my mind just because it creates a perception that I'm on the wrong "team." But that's probably the world we live in. I just don't think the way Trump supporters mindlessly stuck by him is something I want to aspire to emulate in a Biden administration. The idea of doing so makes me very uncomfortable.

I understand that since Biden has some extreme positions by my local standards (especially economy wise). However he is basically the only thing that stands in the path of "Trumpisation" of the whole country. What would actually expand elements that you don't like about Biden. I mean the problem is much wider since Trumpisation of USA means global tilt towards anti-democratic values. Over the last 4 years in this part of the world we got a surge of Russian influence and erosion of democracy (my thread is full of links on that issue). But this isn't the only part of the world where this is the problem since there are democratic erosions all over the world at this point, as well as erosion of various global institutions. Therefore if Biden will get too much bashing that could lead into new wave of Trumpisation and that means that you surely can't go back. If anything since the global map will be changed so much that you just can't undo this anytime soon. Not to mention that the the lost of influence will hurt the economy and that will probably lead into more of some kind of a Trumpisation.

I mean here we have a certain quiet online education about this. Which says that "they are all bad" is actually the claim that benefits the worst the most. Since it can erase the difference between gray and black. What then depresses the turn out and allows partisan hacks and various cultists to elect who they want (what probably wouldn't be a good person). There are some indication that the worst are deliberately trying to muddy the issue in order to disrupt the facts. Therefore flaws must be addressed but everyone must be aware of the fact that focusing too much on that and just trashing the person could lead into concrete worsening of their situation, if they go too far with this. What is dangerous since the world is mostly set for one big domino effect of crashing democracy. I understand that many had enough but rocking the boat too hard now can be very counter productive. Especially since Biden's record thus far doesn't look that bad. Therefore it is perhaps smarter to form criticism on more more constructive way instead of "Biden this Biden that". Or perhaps it would be wiser to channel it at local dynamic and issues that need fixing and consolidation as well. Since that can be constructive in making progress and it doesn't pressure so much "the dam" that stands in a way of Trumpisation of the country.

If midterms will be a red wave year that means large blocks for Biden and that means that there will probably be red Trumplican president in 2024. What means that you can kinda just forget about fixing climate change in time and global democratic erosion will be openly visible down the road. If anything since America first doesn't really bring that much people to the table globally and many countries will start to look somewhere else (like the "red giant" in Asia). What really complicates things on the long run. Therefore Progressive democrats have to be careful with this, they need to try push Biden to the left or center left since there he can get more votes than with rogue republicans that may or may not show up. However progressives must be careful not to go too far in this in the terms of rhetoric since that erodes the dam and is creating an image that Biden must be replaced. What in US system means that he will be replaced from the right and by the right.

This is why I advocate caution in this issue. Since this is much more complex than just being internal US matter.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Or perhaps it would be wiser to channel it at local dynamic and issues that need fixing and consolidation as well. Since that can be constructive in making progress and it doesn't pressure so much "the dam" that stands in a way of Trumpisation of the country.

I'll keep that in mind. Where I live, we have shitty Democratic politicians that aren't really in danger of being replaced by Trumpublicans. Therefore, that might be a better place to push for change. Perhaps I should swallow my bitterness about the way the presidential primaries unfolded (as well as the ways I see Biden as complicit in American decline) and focus on that.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bill passed.
What is obviously good.

Except the Democrats basically ended up negotiating against themselves to lower the qualifying threshold for this round of checks, which in terms of optics may end up backfiring considering the previous stimulus checks under Trump will have technically gone to more recipients. The unemployment income tax changes is a definite benefit, though, that wasn't included originally.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Except the Democrats basically ended up negotiating against themselves to lower the qualifying threshold for this round of checks, which in terms of optics may end up backfiring considering the previous stimulus checks under Trump will have technically gone to more recipients. The unemployment income tax changes is a definite benefit, though, that wasn't included originally.

Yes and I don't think most people understand how insane taxing UI is. The Child Tax Credit is fine but the very poor with children don't file taxes, they don't have to. That's not a flaw, it was done deliberately. So they won't be receiving any tax credit which, incidentally, Democrats created to make "welfare" more acceptable to the GOP and moderates.

I would also encourage people to read through the bill. I know it's vast and confusing but it would be super helpful.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes and I don't think most people understand how insane taxing UI is. The Child Tax Credit is fine but the very poor with children don't file taxes, they don't have to. That's not a flaw, it was done deliberately. So they won't be receiving any tax credit which, incidentally, Democrats created to make "welfare" more acceptable to the GOP and moderates.

I would also encourage people to read through the bill. I know it's vast and confusing but it would be super helpful.

I love that we don't like to tax corporations or investors, but we tax unemployment.

How long is the bill? *whines* a lot of Senators don't read the bills they vote on, so why should I have to?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

oh yeah, in hindsight.

my mother lives on disability and so do my two little siblings. My mother has never filed taxes and the little ones don't get taxes filed. Anywho, they never got the $600 dependency part of the second stimulus and it said she'd have to file taxes to get it basically, and my mom has no reason to file taxes as she doesn't make an income at all outside the untaxed state SSI she gets. They also won't get this. So in essence it fucks disabled people too. :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love that we don't like to tax corporations or investors, but we tax unemployment.

How long is the bill? *whines* a lot of Senators don't read the bills they vote on, so why should I have to?
There is no way legislators can read the entirety of everything that comes up to vote. That is one of the jobs of their staffers: to read such things and prepare short summaries, and advise the legislator. Voters will often have one or two issues about which they are especially concerned or passionate. In these cases, they can and should familiarize themselves with the actual legislation - unless they, too, have staff to write up "cliff notes" for them.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'll keep that in mind. Where I live, we have shitty politicians that aren't really in danger of being replaced by Trumpublicans. Therefore, that might be a better place to push for change. Perhaps I should swallow my bitterness about the way the presidential primaries unfolded (as well as the ways I see Biden as complicit in American decline) and focus on that.

To be honest I am glad that you quoted what is perhaps the most important line in the whole post.

If you judge by my posts most people wouldn't get the impression that I was once very unpolitical person. I lived as the whole thing wasn't my concern at all and that is kinda how I was risen. However over time and through certain topics like environment I wandered into politics (and became what I am today). However I have realized due to research how much local politics country wide actually matters when it is summed and all these seats are getting elected at some point. And I am not talking about the house election: I am talking about city councils, various local offices, neighborhood councils, regional/state government ... etc. I researched this in my own country and came to conclusion that the sum of all this has huge amount of power. Therefore after these kinds of realizations there is basically no way that I don't show up on election day. While not only that most people don't care about that they don't even know how the system works. Even if their daily lives are being decided there instead of Capitol on the other side of the continent. Since that is just cover on the cake and the head of state is cherry on the top. However the bulk of the story are actually local levels: where it is easy to sabotage stuff, waste money, this is where shenanigans regarding voting are organized ... and they don't take that much heat for anything. Therefore this is probably the level that actually needs cleaning the most (regardless of the party). Especially since these positions are kinda independent from the upper ones and you have to challenge them from the ground level. So even if person's very location is ok for them in this regard the odds are that some neighboring district or a chunk of city council isn't. Therefore you probably wouldn't need to look far to find "an object of interest" that you want to challenge/remove.

For example take a look a this.

People will blame Biden of all kinds of things where he is guilty or not guilty but when you take a look at houses of individual states you will quickly realize that the country is in red landslide on that level (feel free to click on individual states for details). Therefore if that is how the actual logistics works of course that you can't change anything in a progressive way. Since the main mass of the cake is red, even if we don't count democrats that aren't really democrats in mindset. What returns us to the "they are all the same" claims. Since that directly turns away the normal people a gives more power to the most partisan ones (what gives advantages to those who have most of these). Therefore if you are so eager to find targets to bash you should find these on the local level. Especially since you can always try to increase the majority of your party since that makes it easier to pass things, or you can try to replace bad apples that can cost you down the road. After all on the local level you will have much bigger odds of having the effect and you know the area and it's problems. People think that the government of the people will happen if they show up on the election day every few years but I am afraid that this requires a little bit more effort and practical involvement.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is no way legislators can read the entirety of everything that comes up to vote. That is one of the jobs of their staffers: to read such things and prepare short summaries, and advise the legislator. Voters will often have one or two issues about which they are especially concerned or passionate. In these cases, they can and should familiarize themselves with the actual legislation - unless they, too, have staff to write up "cliff notes" for them.

I mean, that is probably true, and I know that they have staffers that read them. I just felt like being snarky.