• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Profiling, investigating or stalking?

Lark

I was not sure whether to put this here or in the bonfire, as I would like to keep it more light hearted and less dark or sinister, but I also wanted to put it here as it is "current events" as its pretty much something I think is possible now, presently, which has not been possible at any other time in history.

Do you do any kind of investigation or profiling of others online?

The way I see it, there's usually a massive amount of cached information online that people have simply volunteered, sometimes its all public for anyone to peruse, sometimes its not but is open to discovery without anything in the way of deception, hacking or ethically dubious or legally questionable actions. This is pretty unprecedented as its all volunteered or spontaneously disclosed because the platforms exist rather than anyone actively asking questions.

This is something that I've only read partial studies on and base some of my insights upon what I know about open questions and communication styles, active listening, person centred counselling sources etc. A lot of these kinds of communication styles are implicit in social media and online platforms.

Anyway, do you ever perform cursory searches on individuals? As an informal "check" on friends, associates, colleagues, senior or junior officers in the workplace, anyone you may be buying or selling or in any kind of business relationship with? Or do you consider it stalking? If you do consider it stalking is there a "line" at which you've crossed from a "casual checking" to serious "investigation" or "stalking" behaviour and how do you judge the "line"? Is it to do with the time you invest, whether or not it preoccupies your thoughts for much of the day or competes with other activities, routines, tasks or scheduled demands of your attention?

Also, do you work for an organisation which has any kind of a policy about these actions? So far as I know most policies of the firm I work for, which I think could be representative of many where I work and live, is to do with what you put on social media yourself, if you breach confidentiality, if you do anything which may be prejudicial of others judgments about yourself or, ultimately, the firm. However, I dont think any business organization has policies about checking or using social media to discover the information people have volunteered or disclosed about themselves online.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't actively seek information on people online, but it is natural to subconsciously profile people to gauge if they are someone you can trust or someone that you deem dangerous. By that I mean you acquire information as you hang around people. There are patterns in human behavior, so there will be patterns in those who are untrustworthy and or trustworthy by your own definition. I find actively seeking out specific information of others, in plain view, to be most suspect. Yet often times people do offer up sensitive information like it was nothing.

As for active situations, I don't and wont look up people I interact with everyday. I find that wrong on many levels. If I perchance, find out someone was a psycho or something, I probably wouldn't care much.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes, for two orgs. I should add the people being vetted are people who have asked for an endorsement and are running for elected office and most people appreciate that fact so they aren't voting for sociopaths or candidates with yanno, NPD. I would care greatly if I found out a person running for office was a totally psycho, as would most people.

If it's more about a business or company a person works for looking at their social media, it's very clear that in the US this isn't being done to any degree.

That doesn't mean I don't think a business or company a person works for has no idea of they have a real garbage human working for them. They do and they often don't care until they are made aware of the bigger scope and it's publicized. Publicized being the key word.

They are then "appalled" and "shocked" that some guy with iron cross and SS lightning bolt tats actually IS a fucking Nazi but they hired him anyway because he holds many of the views and opinions that business or company holds, particularly the executives and hiring manager. True story.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only by accident when I'm trying to locate a phone number and the only way is some website that wants me to pay $5 to do a background check. Then I click 'no' and continue to wonder how on earth to find phone numbers these days.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Anyway, do you ever perform cursory searches on individuals? As an informal "check" on friends, associates, colleagues, senior or junior officers in the workplace, anyone you may be buying or selling or in any kind of business relationship with? Or do you consider it stalking? If you do consider it stalking is there a "line" at which you've crossed from a "casual checking" to serious "investigation" or "stalking" behaviour and how do you judge the "line"? Is it to do with the time you invest, whether or not it preoccupies your thoughts for much of the day or competes with other activities, routines, tasks or scheduled demands of your attention?

Also, do you work for an organisation which has any kind of a policy about these actions? So far as I know most policies of the firm I work for, which I think could be representative of many where I work and live, is to do with what you put on social media yourself, if you breach confidentiality, if you do anything which may be prejudicial of others judgments about yourself or, ultimately, the firm. However, I dont think any business organization has policies about checking or using social media to discover the information people have volunteered or disclosed about themselves online.

Yes I do, without hesitation or remorse. If people wish for aspects of their life to remain private, then they should refrain from posting publicly or use a pseudonym instead.

This is not akin to following someone around or interrogating known associates. It's as simple as typing something into Google in the comfort of your own home. Obviously there are gradations of sleuthing one could do, and no doubt some people with unhealthy obsessions do more than would ever be warranted under normal circumstances, but the idea that snooping on someone's facebook, perusing their post history, or seeing what they like on Etsy is "stalking" is ludicrous to me.

I do a cursory search of everyone I interview for positions at my firm. You wouldn't believe how many people choose to post inflammatory, ignorant, or otherwise objectionable material on their social media, and as a consulting firm it behooves us to stick with more, shall we say, diplomatic folk.

Also, on this forum if I know your real name it's very likely I've google searched you. If I don't, it's possible I've searched for your username to see if you post elsewhere. I'm genuinely curious about people and like knowing things about them...not things they'd necessarily offer up spontaneously or anything specific enough to ask a question, but things I might discover by observing their historical behavior. Believe it or not, I also sometimes think about some of you when I'm not actively browsing the forum...and I will often read your old blog posts (I apologize in advance if any of you feel raped by occupying a space in my consciousnesses without your consent).

I'm genuinely shocked that others don't do this or care to...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I research people my friends might date, because I’m protective (particularly my INTP best friend, as she can be naive about people/blind to red flags). I search local police logs, look for their social media, etc. I’m not tech savvy at all, but it’s crazy how many breadcrumbs and footprints people leave around.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I don't consider looking at public information to be stalking, unless there is an obsessive or in-person layer to it (like actual stalking). I do look up all of my soon-to-be-boyfriends, as in a criminal background check. My boyfriends know that I do this because I tell them. I simply don't see a reason to hide or be weird about such a thing.

Other than that, all I really do is look at people's Facebook pages after I add them to get an idea of what kind of person they are. I keep my "friends" list quite small (I believe it's at 80 right now) because I'm picky and also don't want an obnoxious amount of viewing material from random people I feel indifferent about.

I guess the creepiest thing I've ever done is look at a partner's ex's page, but it's been a brief one-time deal, and sometimes I block them just so I don't have to see any previous romantic shit (I'm a little sensitive about silly things like that, but super aware of and open about it, and I also block a ton of people anyway, because I like maintaining a comfortable bubble).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I do a cursory search of everyone I interview for positions at my firm. You wouldn't believe how many people choose to post inflammatory, ignorant, or otherwise objectionable material on their social media, and as a consulting firm it behooves us to stick with more, shall we say, diplomatic folk.

I also thought due diligence was a pretty standard thing, especially when hiring someone or entering an agreement or contract with a person(s) or like I mentioned, when someone is running for elected office. But I can kind of see how the last one would be more of a suggestion than an actual expectation to certain people.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Researching people before you interact with them is actually creepy. This is like, some minority report stuff. Even if its preventory, there is also usually a lot lost in context. For example, you can easily be charged and convicted of a crime you didn't do, but it will appear on your record.

It just seems to steralize human interaction, and as a result people miss out on the experiences they need to mature and understand other people. You cannot learn anything by padding all of your experiences from harm. Knowledge means nothing in the face of practical application.

Jaguar

There are companies making money doing that. Actually it's blackmail. Throwing random people into a database claiming they have a criminal record and charging them money to take their name off. They all belong in jail. It's also one example why 'checking people out' is ridiculous. There's a whole industry out there making money off false information. Hey, if someone wants to claim I murdered a chocolate-eating oompa loompa, or stole diamonds from Susan B. Anthony, I don't give a rat's ass. Knock yourself out.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are companies making money doing that. Actually it's blackmail. Throwing random people into a database claiming they have a criminal record and charging them money to take their name off. They all belong in jail. It's also one example why 'checking people out' is ridiculous. There's a whole industry out there making money off false information. Hey, if someone wants to claim I murdered a chocolate-eating oompa loompa, or stole diamonds from Susan B. Anthony, I don't give a rat's ass. Knock yourself out.
As they say, follow the money. This is just a racket, on both ends: charging people to "correct" their record, and charging employers, volunteer groups, or concerned friends money for the often uncorrected information. Same goes for standardized entrance exams and many professional licenses, but I digress. We need laws that define personal information as the property of the individual it pertains to, as I think is done in Europe. This puts the onus on anyone wanting to use it to get explicit consent - none of this opt-out nonsense - and provide appropriate compensation. Such measures would surely draw criticism as "excess regulation of business", as too much government. This example highlights well how it often takes government intervention in business to restrain business intervention in private lives. I see this as a critical function of government.

Jaguar

We need laws that define personal information as the property of the individual it pertains to, as I think is done in Europe. This puts the onus on anyone wanting to use it to get explicit consent - none of this opt-out nonsense - and provide appropriate compensation. Such measures would surely draw criticism as "excess regulation of business", as too much government. This example highlights well how it often takes government intervention in business to restrain business intervention in private lives. I see this as a critical function of government.

I'm fine with all of that.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As they say, follow the money. This is just a racket, on both ends: charging people to "correct" their record, and charging employers, volunteer groups, or concerned friends money for the often uncorrected information. Same goes for standardized entrance exams and many professional licenses, but I digress. We need laws that define personal information as the property of the individual it pertains to, as I think is done in Europe. This puts the onus on anyone wanting to use it to get explicit consent - none of this opt-out nonsense - and provide appropriate compensation. Such measures would surely draw criticism as "excess regulation of business", as too much government. This example highlights well how it often takes government intervention in business to restrain business intervention in private lives. I see this as a critical function of government.

Yes, in Europe all of this is more regulated. I never studied this in detail but there is a number of high class verdicts and laws that protect people from all kinds of "online problems". Plus I think it was banned for social networks to transport personal info out of EU. Since the info may not be safe in other countries that tolerate all kinds of things in internet practices. Also as EU citizen you have a shield that first warns you of cookies on the site if there are any. Actually I don't read a number of links from this forum since I don't like how the "warning looks like".

I mean in my book this evidently needs better regulation since personal info is often info of high impact. Which can destroy or at least undermine lives if it comes into wrong hands.