• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hand Gestures

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Here begins a thread spilt from the Member Picture Time thread.

Last edited:

rav3n

Dumb picture of me from March, when I was stuck in quarantine away from home in the student hostel and I was wearing a mask too big for my face and covered with heavy clothes from head to toe because it was freaking cold and if one of us started sneezing or coughing, it would have been total panic. As always, I look like a 14-year-old but I'm actually 22 :D
Is that the deliberate use of the white supremacist power symbol?

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Is that the deliberate use of the white supremacist power symbol?

Wow, I wasn't even aware of the possible meaning(s) of this hand gesture. Luckily, Google told me it also means 'Pico bello (OK gesture)'. It seems unlikely to me that she'd post the white supremacist symbol here (especially since she's not American- and I assume it's mostly used in America in such manner). (But good, I'll let her speak for herself in this case.)

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, I wasn't even aware of the possible meaning(s) of this hand gesture. Luckily, Google told me it also means 'Pico bello (OK gesture)'. It seems unlikely to me that she'd post the white supremacist symbol here (especially since she's not American- and I assume it's mostly used in America in such manner). (But good, I'll let her speak for herself in this case.)

I didn't know it was symbolic of anything other than 'okay'

Hermit of the Forest

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

It’s mostly used as OK in America.

In fact, unless one watches or associates with the minority of the population which is racist you may never see symbols abused to mean anything so dreadful.

rav3n

It’s mostly used as OK in America.

In fact, unless one watches or associates with the minority of the population which is racist you may never see symbols abused to mean anything so dreadful.
People are often naive about the state of the U.S. and its politics.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Ever since things got out of hand in Salem. @_@

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Having read red evening apple's type me thread, I would be extremely surprised were that ok symbol a "dog whistle", and I detest discouraging sharing by newer members by accusing them of being bigots for seemingly no good reason.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am told it is also a hand sign used by divers to indicate "no danger/I'm OK".

Hermit of the Forest

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Or maybe, people need to read my post to understand that it was a question, rather than a conclusion.

A very public question which could embarrass and potentially damage the reputation of a young girl.

The Cat

Staff member
Or maybe, people need to read my post to understand that it was a question, rather than a conclusion.

Maybe it's less about some people assuming a conclusion over a question but rather the seeming shall we say brusque nature of the question in the first place. :shrug: Scary times all around but we must all take care not to feed the fears in our vigilance. That's how things got out of hand in Salem and pretty much everywhere else ever.

rav3n

A very public question which could embarrass and potentially damage the reputation of a young girl.
Why? If it's not being used as such, the member will state it and it's no harm, no foul.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it's less about some people assuming a conclusion over a question but rather the seeming shall we say brusque nature of the question in the first place. :shrug: Scary times all around but we must all take care not to feed the fears in our vigilance. That's how things got out of hand in Salem and pretty much everywhere else ever.
Jesus fucking christ on a stick. Now I have to fluff up my questions?

The Cat

Staff member
Why? If it's not being used as such, the member will state it and it's no harm, no foul.

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus fucking christ on a stick. Now I have to fluff up my questions?

Nobut you don't have to go around actling like your the secret police defending the forum from the sinister machinations of Hydra either. You're obviously free to do what you did. But then so was everyone else. If you're worried about a public response like this that is what private feedback thread is for.

rav3n

Nobut you don't have to go around actling like your the secret police defending the forum from the sinister machinations of Hydra either. You're obviously free to do what you did. But then so was everyone else. If you're worried about a public response like this that is what private feedback thread is for.
Thanks for your position. I like it when people are honest. I'm so outta' this place.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"When did you stop beating your wife?" is a question, too.

Fluff is unnecessary, but neutrality and an open mind are always helpful. E.g.: "What is the meaning of your hand sign?"