• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Will regular humans of the future be any kind of match for super soldiers?

Lark

Watching TV shows like Hanna and Treadstone, and knowing their source material or even more exotic source material like Winter Soldier or Captain America (not mentioning the comic series Uber as those are more like Kryptonian Supermen than super soldiers), do you think that any sort of civil resistance is becoming less and less possible?

Like even if there was a will to fight there would unlikely be any prospect what so ever for the average being a match for the super soldiers or super agents and assets?

If this is the case what do you think the craic is for civil authority and democracy? Is the standing army and special forces or assets in the final instance a threat to the very social order or persons they are supposed to serve?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The time will tell.
However if you are super *anything* that kinda implies that you are not too numerous or require plenty of specialized infrastructure. At least on the short run.

While in this country when we stared our last and pro-democracy revolution the backbone of our "force" was actually local law enforcement and deserters. Therefore I think that this equation may not be as simple as you present it to be. Since the strongest weapons in any war are changes in allegiances, especially unexpected ones. Actually the Terminator movies would be kinda lame if this wasn't the case.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wouldn't the point of a super soldier be designed to outmatch any human? There is the question on ganging up on one, but otherwise I suspect a normal human would not be able to win in a conflict. Perhaps the ability to behave erratically and think irrationally could confuse one. Probably not. IDK

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I doubt the science of possibility on the creation of a supersoldier. Do you mean eugenics kind, or transhumanist kind?

If the technology existed to create such things, they wouldn't remain exclusive for long.

Also, despite what the movies make it look like. Numbers will most definately beat a Supersoldier. They would also almost exclusively be used for assassination. Think of James Bond as a realistic example of a normal human doing what a supersoldier would do.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we'll see mech suits and stuff like that eventually, which should bring the human soldiers up to a competitive level with super soldiers and terminators.

And cybernetic implants will become a reality in human soldiers as the technology advances and can be implemented more safely and cheaply. Who knows, soldiers and spies might even be implanted with some "self-destruct" suicide feature that automatically takes effect if captured or compromised. Shudder..

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think we'll see mech suits and stuff like that eventually, which should bring the human soldiers up to a competitive level with super soldiers and terminators.

And cybernetic implants will become a reality in human soldiers as the technology advances and can be implemented more safely and cheaply. Who knows, soldiers and spies might even be implanted with some "self-destruct" suicide feature that automatically takes effect if captured or compromised. Shudder..

Well, if that happens that basically only means that in the future all professional weapons will be on the level that is today known as anti-tank weapons (or something completely new eventually). Our reality just doesn't work in a way that you can be invincible, since for everything there is counter-measure if you can figure it out on time.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Well, if that happens that basically only means that in the future all professional weapons will be on the level that is today known as anti-tank weapons (or something completely new eventually). Our reality just doesn't work in a way that you can be invincible, since for everything there is counter-measure if you can figure it out on time.

The last part is on point. Nature always finds a way to recalibrate, adapt, and find Equilibrium. Countermeasures will surely be made. Invincibility is not an option.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There is a Robo Cop statue in Detroit (MI Science Center museum). It's the first thing I thought of when I read the OP.

original

rav3n

Wild prediction but future wars won't require boots to the ground so soldiers won't be necessary and AI will take care of law enforcement.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Wild prediction but future wars won't require boots to the ground so soldiers won't be necessary and AI will take care of law enforcement.

That will be the case until the computer virus hits the system or well placed missile the power supply in center of operations.

Lark

Yeah, that's why I was thinking more in terms of agents like Hana or Bourne/Treadstone, they are "super skilled" or "super powered" almost but the conflicts they engage in are not wars like those of the past, they are more intrigues and secret wars.

The wars of the future I think will be indirectly waged via how nations deal with disease and climate change, those things had tested, seriously, the old capitalist orders and those orders have not faired well. I dont expect the "plan B" of those societies, which presently looks like various shades of racism or privileged caste systems, directly or indirectly/inadvertently are bolstered with conspiracy theories, will be any better at dealing with it either.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This presumes centralization.

Of course there will be a centralization of some kind. Creating this kind of very high tech equipment requires ultra advanced production and such production by definition means there are some kind of center(s) and structure. On the other hand even if you have fully autonomous system in the field it is questionable how it will replenish it's energy supply on the long run (since they will need a lot of it in most cases). What in the end makes the system vulnerable to "starvation" and capture. Also if you have plenty of such machines you will need complicated logistics and if you have logistics you once again get into the domain of centralization. Since "robots" are probably the last thing that naturally "grows" in the environment. True, maybe a 200 years from now they will find the ways to solves all these problems but for foreseeable you will need boots on the ground.

Plus even if you managed to make your mechanical troops fairly self sustainable out there at the end of the day this is just a piece of machinery. What means that it can be turned against you basically at any time or simply brake. What is the problem that will probably never really go away. Here is one supposed "incident" from few years back.

Therefore having only the army that can just switch sides is strategically shallow approach. I publicly admit that I don't like western style glorification of technology since there are obvious weaknesses and limitations. Which must not be overlooked if you want objective analysis.