• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you like to sell your data if you could do so?

Lark

If you could somehow create a log of accurate biometric and personal data, something way beyond the life logging apps of today, which would comprise all your choices and their consequences for you personally would you choose to do so? Would you choose to sell it? Share it? Both? Would it matter to you who benefited from your information and how they benefited?

It is my consideration that a lot of personal data is shared in all sorts of ways which is not gainful to the persons sharing it or generating it and that others profit by this often without the "author" being aware of it, I am not talking exclusively in the sense of monetary or financial profit really but there is obviously an important respect in which this is definitely the case. It is certainly the case in biometric information used in medical research into immunity, microbial research, other sorts of medical research and development, pharmaceuticals etc.

In many ways I see this as potentially significant in terms of paradigm shifts in thinking about what constitutes productivity and economic activity. The older ideas as to what constitutes occupation, creating value, even the idea of makers, would be incorrect in this scenario. Even if you were what would have been labelled in the past (in some quarters still so in the present) as a "wasterel" or "perisher" or "the surplus population" and engaged in behaviours, transactions or lifestyles considered personally and socially deleterious or harmful, ie the "indolent", "idlers", "rioters" it is all data.

Even if people are living lives which a "nasty, brutish and short" by their own choosing and it constitutes little more than "a cautionary tale to others", it definitely would do and an have value and worth as a consequence. What do you think?

rav3n

My info is my own where it's not for sale at any price. That said, it likely already exists in piecemeal since bad faith actors have been weaponizing private info for political and personal gain.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well, I wouldnt, but sadly they are still gathering a lot of stuff anyways.

But it kind of depends on the context, if the purpose is good, I would sell or even give away. Such as the data that I havent been sick and Im not with COVID.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally speaking, I'd much rather have the option to spend money to not have my personal data collected.

As you say, once it's collected, nobody really knows where it ends up. It's why I have been reluctant for years to get a smartphone, and even now that I have one and must admit how practical it is, it's still something I'm not really comfortable with.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Generally speaking, I'd much rather have the option to spend money to not have my personal data collected.

As you say, once it's collected, nobody really knows where it ends up. It's why I have been reluctant for years to get a smartphone, and even now that I have one and must admit how practical it is, it's still something I'm not really comfortable with.
My perspective exactly. I will also not buy a phone whose battery I cannot remove, as that is the only certain way to ensure it is turned off.