User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: George Soros

  1. #1
    Kawaii Jazzy Orchid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    172 sx/so
    Posts
    3,460

    Question George Soros

    So... this guy seems to be...hated by a lot of people and the center of a lot of conspiracy theories...so I kind of wanted a perspective and conversation on who this guy is, and why he has such a big stake in our mainstream media, and funding of democratic campaigns and is also at the center of just about...every left wing conspiracy?

    Do they believe the disarray will die when George Soros does? What is behind it all? Do you think there's any ounce of validity to anything relating back to him? Why or why not?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    12,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Orchid View Post
    So... this guy seems to be...hated by a lot of people and the center of a lot of conspiracy theories...so I kind of wanted a perspective and conversation on who this guy is, and why he has such a big stake in our mainstream media, and funding of democratic campaigns and is also at the center of just about...every left wing conspiracy?

    Do they believe the disarray will die when George Soros does? What is behind it all? Do you think there's any ounce of validity to anything relating back to him? Why or why not?
    I think you mean right wing conspiracies.

    Below is a good summary of the people involved and why.

    Why is billionaire George Soros a bogeyman for the hard right? - BBC News


    I don't think there is any validity to the right wing claims about George Soros. Zero. Why would any sane person give Holocaust deniers, anti-Semites, fascist lite or the GOP operatives that back the insane fantasy world conspiracy theories one second of consideration? But because Americans are generally entirely ignorant of other nations and their histories, especially in Eastern Europe or the Balkans, none of this registers. It makes the job of pinning all the problems on a single person - just like the article says - very easy.

    "Arthur Finkelstein always said, 'You don't go against the Taliban, you go against Osama Bin Laden.' So it's about personalisation, picking the perfect enemy and then [you] go full on against that person, so that people are actually scared of your opponent. And never talk about your own candidate's policies, they don't matter at all."
    Sounds familiar.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes meowington liked this post

  3. #3
    Kawaii Jazzy Orchid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    172 sx/so
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I think you mean right wing conspiracies.

    Below is a good summary of the people involved and why.

    Why is billionaire George Soros a bogeyman for the hard right? - BBC News


    I don't think there is any validity to the right wing claims about George Soros. Zero. Why would any sane person give Holocaust deniers, anti-Semites, fascist lite or the GOP operatives that back the insane fantasy world conspiracy theories one second of consideration? But because Americans are generally entirely ignorant of other nations and their histories, especially in Eastern Europe or the Balkans, none of this registers. It makes the job of pinning all the problems on a single person - just like the article says - very easy.



    Sounds familiar.
    I did mean right-wing sorry. I was more referring to he is seen as a leftists figurehead to the right. I mean, looking some on my own, it seems he has done some criminal activity involving money in the past within France and England felt he broke their bank...It seems he sends funding to a lot of organizations but that does not directly implicate someone of a grand conspiracy. I just notice his name getting tossed again during this whole thing and I was curious what other people felt about the situation. I just know little about him, but at this point I can't say I feel good about him just because in an interview he said he did help the nazis and he didn't feel remorse for taking the property of the jews...but that's a completely different thing from thinking he's literally out to destroy the world like these right wingers discuss.

  4. #4
    blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    13,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Orchid View Post
    I just know little about him, but at this point I can't say I feel good about him just because in an interview he said he did help the nazis and he didn't feel remorse for taking the property of the jews...but that's a completely different thing from thinking he's literally out to destroy the world like these right wingers discuss.
    First time I've heard that one. He's Jewish and was evidently in his early teens at the time, so I doubt that.

    More info here: George Soros: Early Life and Education
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  5. #5
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    12,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Orchid View Post
    I did mean right-wing sorry. I was more referring to he is seen as a leftists figurehead to the right. I mean, looking some on my own, it seems he has done some criminal activity involving money in the past within France and England felt he broke their bank...It seems he sends funding to a lot of organizations but that does not directly implicate someone of a grand conspiracy. I just notice his name getting tossed again during this whole thing and I was curious what other people felt about the situation. I just know little about him, but at this point I can't say I feel good about him just because in an interview he said he did help the nazis and he didn't feel remorse for taking the property of the jews...but that's a completely different thing from thinking he's literally out to destroy the world like these right wingers discuss.
    Well the right needs to have a boogie man and the European nationalist also hate him for helping after the collapse of communism. A wealthy Jew immigrant that gives his money to progressive groups or causes is a perfect target for the US crazy right as well. He was born in 1930 so he would have been in his early teens when the Nazis occupied Hungary soooo.... don't think he was helping the nazis to take the property of the Jews.

    You can always use this site to find more on dark money sources.

    OpenSecrets
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Jazzy Orchid liked this post

  6. #6

    Default

    Soros replaced the Rothschilds, et al, as the right wing bogeyman because he's Jewish too. Nazi b/s.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    12,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rav3n View Post
    Soros replaced the Rothschilds, et al, as the right wing bogeyman because he's Jewish too. Nazi b/s.
    The other word for Jews apparently.

    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  8. #8
    blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    13,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    The other word for Jews apparently.

    I remember I was in college and I was at a meeting of some group or other and some old fart (not a student obviously) came in and starting ranting about Rothschilds, and asked us if we ever heard of Margaret Thatcher. He told us that she tried to "preserve English sovereignty an so they 'got rid of her'". Apparently losing democratic elections is a nefarious conspiracy as well. In those day the Alex Jones types would sometimes show up at meetings like that and try to make the whole thing about their bullshit.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  9. #9
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    12,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I remember I was in college and I was at a meeting of some group or other and some old fart (not a student obviously) came in and starting ranting about Rothschilds, and asked us if we ever heard of Margaret Thatcher. He told us that she tried to "preserve English sovereignty an so they 'got rid of her'". Apparently losing democratic elections is a nefarious conspiracy as well.
    I never understood any of the conspiracies or weird assed beliefs so many people I knew and know, have about Jewish people. It's clear that I missed something because it seems pretty widespread. It's always like you are talking about something and if a Jewish person enters that conversation someone will go - <person's name> You do know they're Jewish, right? No. Seriously it's something that literally never occurs to me and even if it did it wouldn't matter. I don't know if this is just low level antisemitism or what but it's creepy and it makes me want to haul their ass outside.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  10. #10
    blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    13,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I never understood any of the conspiracies or weird assed beliefs so many people I knew and know, have about Jewish people. It's clear that I missed something because it seems pretty widespread. It's always like you are talking about something and if a Jewish person enters that conversation someone will go - <person's name> You do know they're Jewish, right? No. Seriously it's something that literally never occurs to me and even if it did it wouldn't matter. I don't know if this is just low level antisemitism or what but it's creepy and it makes me want to haul their ass outside.
    The dumbest part about the whole thing is that nothing happened to Margaret Thatcher. She wasn't assassinated as far as I know. Granted, I'm no expert on the woman.

    I suppose one positive effect of Trump is that the infowars crowd now has thier own messiah they can follow rather than muddying the waters of movements not based on bullshit.

    To this day, I still blame the 9/11 truthers for popularizing a lot of this crap 9/11 trutherism wasn't exclusively a right-wing thing in those days.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO