User Tag List

1231151 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 563

  1. #1
    somnium tenebris Powehi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp
    Posts
    11,483

    Default The Murder of George Floyd & Subsequent Protests/Riots

    There was a George Floyd Protest in the Twin Cities because four officers murdered a black man while restraining him on charges of writing a bad check (I think that's the final word - at first I heard it was forging coupons). I just saw the vandalism live. Holy fuck. Entire buildings gutted, burned, and destroyed. Cars completely smashed down. This is all extremely scary. The murder was horrific and the population destabilizing with violence during this pandemic is also terrifying.

    It looks like a war zone.

    Daylight reveals destruction in Minneapolis after night of Floyd protests | MPR News
    Last edited by Powehi; 05-30-2020 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Corrected to: George Floyd Protest

    Circus life under the big top world, we all need the clowns to make us smile
    Through space and time always another show, wondering where I am. I'm lost without you. Journey
    Likes cascadeco, Jazzy Orchid liked this post

  2. #2
    somnium tenebris Powehi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp
    Posts
    11,483

    Default

    It escalated in part because during the peaceful protests the police were firing tear gas, etc. into the crowd.

    Circus life under the big top world, we all need the clowns to make us smile
    Through space and time always another show, wondering where I am. I'm lost without you. Journey
    Likes Jazzy Orchid, Riva liked this post

  3. #3
    Complex paradigm Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,375

    Default

    Well this is how it usually starts, in the bad situation someone fires up the match .... and then it retribution after retribution.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None
    Posts
    15,932

    Default

    This is why left wingers need to bring guns to protests. You look at footage of right wingers at protests, loaded up with guns, and the cops tend to keep their distance. Socialist gun clubs should be providing security to these events, similar to how hippies sometimes had black panthers with guns at their events.

    I have a feeling the cops would be a little more cautious before deploying the tear gas and firehoses were this the case.
    Give me clarity

  5. #5
    Complex paradigm Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Officer Ed Powell View Post
    This is why left wingers need to bring guns to protests. You look at footage of right wingers at protests, loaded up with guns, and the cops tend to keep their distance. Socialist gun clubs should be providing security to these events, similar to how hippies sometimes had black panthers with guns at their events.

    I have a feeling the cops would be a little more cautious before deploying the tear gas and firehoses were this the case.


    Maybe, or they will just decide it is the time to call in an air strike.

  6. #6
    somnium tenebris Powehi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp
    Posts
    11,483

    Default

    In my earlier post I wasn't sure what to call what's happening in Minneapolis, but it's the "George Floyd protests". People are protesting today as well, but I'm not sure what will happen tonight, whether or not there will be more damages. A lot of people were helping clean up today.

    If you comprehend fully what happened to George Floyd, if you picture your own father or brother being killed in that manner, you can understand that level of rage. It's a really messed up society, and I hope and pray more people don't get hurt.

    When I see the damage to the city I have to confess that I have no idea how people could even do that. I don't think I even could do that if I was enraged. I feel kinda amazed by the level of damage done without large equipment and military arsenals, as far as I know.

    Circus life under the big top world, we all need the clowns to make us smile
    Through space and time always another show, wondering where I am. I'm lost without you. Journey
    Likes Riva liked this post

  7. #7
    The Greater Evil Maou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    4,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powehi View Post
    In my earlier post I wasn't sure what to call what's happening in Minneapolis, but it's the "George Floyd protests". People are protesting today as well, but I'm not sure what will happen tonight, whether or not there will be more damages. A lot of people were helping clean up today.

    If you comprehend fully what happened to George Floyd, if you picture your own father or brother being killed in that manner, you can understand that level of rage. It's a really messed up society, and I hope and pray more people don't get hurt.

    When I see the damage to the city I have to confess that I have no idea how people could even do that. I don't think I even could do that if I was enraged. I feel kinda amazed by the level of damage done without large equipment and military arsenals, as far as I know.
    I would say its more than just Floyd's murder causing this. Tensions have been high for a while in USA due to the pandemic. This should also be an example, of just how powerful the people can be when they are unhappy with the government.
    The beginning of the end is beginning.
    Likes Powehi liked this post

  8. #8
    somnium tenebris Powehi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp
    Posts
    11,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maou View Post
    I would say its more than just Floyd's murder causing this. Tensions have been high for a while in USA due to the pandemic. This should also be an example, of just how powerful the people can be when they are unhappy with the government.
    It's true there are a lot of tensions. About 2/3 of the protesters were wearing masks according to social media friends reporting on it (I have several because I live a couple hours away), and also video footage I watched. Also, a great many were cleaning up afterwards.

    There is a long history of tension with the police force from what in understand. This is based both on the large-scale issue of racism with police profiling and then more anecdotal information from locals.

    Starting with the horrific murder, then moving to peaceful protests that were met with tear gas, mace, and rubber bullets, and which also looked a bit like a war scene, it pushed people over the edge. I think there was a feeling of dehumanization and dismissal to the utmost and a lot of people snapped. I'm sure the whole pandemic stress didn't help, but I do think the history with racial tensions and police force issues was the core of what triggered people.

    Circus life under the big top world, we all need the clowns to make us smile
    Through space and time always another show, wondering where I am. I'm lost without you. Journey
    Likes Maou liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    12,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powehi View Post
    It's true there are a lot of tensions. About 2/3 of the protesters were wearing masks according to social media friends reporting on it (I have several because I live a couple hours away), and also video footage I watched. Also, a great many were cleaning up afterwards.

    There is a long history of tension with the police force from what in understand. This is based both on the large-scale issue of racism with police profiling and then more anecdotal information from locals.

    Starting with the horrific murder, then moving to peaceful protests that were met with tear gas, mace, and rubber bullets, and which also looked a bit like a war scene, it pushed people over the edge. I think there was a feeling of dehumanization and dismissal to the utmost and a lot of people snapped. I'm sure the whole pandemic stress didn't help, but I do think the history with racial tensions and police force issues was the core of what triggered people.
    Yeah this has little to do with COVID and likely more to do with the fact that this cop killed this man, is a chronic offender, with zero discipline in a system where human garbage like this can flourish and a union so corrupted that these cops can simply move to a town a few miles away and do the same thing.. But this one was especially bad.

    Officer accused in Floyd's death opened fire on 2 people | Hosted

    A white Minneapolis police officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck opened fire on two people during his 19-year career and had nearly 20 complaints and two letters of reprimand filed against him.
    And this. I assumed there was more to this story and it appears that there is.

    George Floyd and cop who knelt on his neck worked together as security at the same Minneapolis club | Daily Mail Online

    The black community deals with this and other injustices on a daily basis. So I have no issue with what is happening in Minneapolis or across the nation. And the pressure that is on the DA currently, needs to increase to bring charges, just like the murder in GA, or it will be swept under the rug.

    Breonna Taylor: What to know about Louisville EMT killed by police

    Family of Breonna Taylor sues Louisville police officers for wrongful death - CBS News

    Taxpayers pay these huge lawsuit awards, not the cops themselves (unless they are sued civilly) so I often wonder where those loud voices that have no problem bitching about any other taxpayer funded thing are in these instances.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Powehi, Jazzy Orchid, Redbone liked this post

  10. #10
    somnium tenebris Powehi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp
    Posts
    11,483

    Default

    I saw this in my FB feed. Chauvin has a history of violent racial incidents. The police force needs to get these people off the force after the first incident.

    The Murder of George Floyd & Subsequent Protests/Riots-derek-chauvin-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Circus life under the big top world, we all need the clowns to make us smile
    Through space and time always another show, wondering where I am. I'm lost without you. Journey
    Likes Jazzy Orchid, Riva liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO