• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Murder of George Floyd & Subsequent Protests/Riots

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is my takeaway.

lol if rioters had been on the way, as per the rumor, the buses they would have been on wouldn't have turned back, I'm sure. The rumor was because rioting happened in a different town in my state. It was a fear-mongering rumor. And I don't want paranoid trigger-happy people "protecting" my town. Whether they are cops or private citizens.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't stand to quote the horrific video earlier in the thread about the man trying to defend his shop with a sword getting beaten, but hope for some comfort to know that googling the incident says that he did get to the hospital and was stabilized. I hope this information is correct.

I know many people have died and suffered permanent injuries, but I wanted to include this information because it helps to know he got help.

Edit: Attacks of that nature are attempted murder and should be prosecuted as such.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
RVA had peaceful protests last night. Most of the protesters have been peaceful in general. On the first night they were peaceful, then police starting lobbing tear gas into the crowds (which the mayor argues was against those officers' orders). Some are alleging that instances of destruction and vandalism in recent days were caused by unsanctioned infiltrators.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been seeing a lot of graphic footage about the injuries incurred from these rubber bullets. Those should be eliminated. They are enormous in size -the fill an entire hand and they are leaving people with permanent brutal scars. They are not a non-violent deterrent. It seriously needs to stop.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I'm absolutely disgusted by the behaviors circling around this. First of all, Black people act like they aren't racist as fuck but there are certain areas white people can't go without being shot, raped, etc. just for being white. I've heard more racism come out of the mouths of Black people than I've ever heard Whites say about Blacks...and by that I mean I hear it come from Blacks constantly and I don't even hear Whites saying shit in private much less openly. Hell, white people couldn't even participate in an entire genre of music until Eminem came along and fought an uphill battle against that...if whites did to blacks what blacks did to white in this there would be a huge uproar. Now, to stand up against racism against Blacks, people are doing all of these things to innocent people? If you're supporting this horse shit you should be ashamed of yourself. The only 'movement' taking place is society going further downhill. Human beings are acting like apes, nothing more...congratulations on achieving nothing positive and merely fueling more hatred.

Fucking hypocrites with this anti-racism bullshit while being racist as fuck themselves...

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Society does pendulum swings when it pushes against imbalance. It doesn't stop when balance is achieved. Women's Rights becomes Women's Advantages, Racism against Blacks becomes racism against Whites. Why is it the only people you ever hear worrying about anyone's color is black people? Nobody else gives a fuck about it. In reality, most of the time black people are just using the "racism" card as a scapegoat (meaning it's not racism but they're blaming it on it anyway rather than identifying real causes accurately)and being so damn overly defensive about it that things literally reverse so that they are the ones being racist.

Yep, I said it.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I've long had a theory that all of the things progressives want and advocate for- social equity, anti racism, power/control, kindness/sharing- are all things they are completely bereft of in their heart of hearts. People want things because they don't have them, and they project desires on society that they actually just have for themselves.

They're so concerned with not being racist and gone so far towards that concern that they've circled around and become racist again- the entire world seen through a perpetually race based lens. They crave equity because they feel less than others. They crave power because they are out of control. They crave kindness and sharing because they are vicious and selfish. The mainstream reaction to the riots from progressives has laid all of this bare.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I'm absolutely disgusted by the behaviors circling around this. First of all, Black people act like they aren't racist as fuck but there are certain areas white people can't go without being shot, raped, etc. just for being white. I've heard more racism come out of the mouths of Black people than I've ever heard Whites say about Blacks...and by that I mean I hear it come from Blacks constantly and I don't even hear Whites saying shit in private much less openly. Hell, white people couldn't even participate in an entire genre of music until Eminem came along and fought an uphill battle against that...if whites did to blacks what blacks did to white in this there would be a huge uproar. Now, to stand up against racism against Blacks, people are doing all of these things to innocent people? If you're supporting this horse shit you should be ashamed of yourself. The only 'movement' taking place is society going further downhill. Human beings are acting like apes, nothing more...congratulations on achieving nothing positive and merely fueling more hatred.

Fucking hypocrites with this anti-racism bullshit while being racist as fuck themselves...

Society does pendulum swings when it pushes against imbalance. It doesn't stop when balance is achieved. Women's Rights becomes Women's Advantages, Racism against Blacks becomes racism against Whites. Why is it the only people you ever hear worrying about anyone's color is black people? Nobody else gives a fuck about it. In reality, most of the time black people are just using the "racism" card as a scapegoat (meaning it's not racism but they're blaming it on it anyway rather than identifying real causes accurately)and being so damn overly defensive about it that things literally reverse so that they are the ones being racist.

Yep, I said it.

This is not including everyone who is black obviously, but goddamn it man it's just frustrating to be on the receiving end of so much racism or having my black then-boyfriend freak out like "what're you doing you can't walk to my house like that you're white" while kids in school act out then say "it's because I'm black that I got in trouble" then grow up and see the same damn thing happening with law enforcement, then turn around and see this kind of protesting.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I cannot handle all of this Black and White fucking thinking.
I don't want to talk to anyone anymore. God fucking dammit. Where is the humanity? I'm out. Just leave me alone.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I cannot handle all of this Black and White fucking thinking.
I don't want to talk to anyone anymore. God fucking dammit. Where is the humanity? I'm out. Just leave me alone.
You came to the thread and you posted. Nobody bothered you, so not sure who you're saying "leave me alone" to.

Issues exist. I won't apologize for speaking about them in a perfectly appropriate place.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is where my initial statement of how you can't really fight hate with hate matters...

if you fight hatred with more hatred you become the people who hurt you. It reverses, and it really does matter, because if you cannot remove the prejudice from your lens, how do you expect the person on the other side to clean their lens too? I would love to live in a world where we realized...being hateful to others gets us nowhere. It doesn't do anything good, just, or right. We should fight hate with LOVE... War with peace, anger with gentleness. Obviously not every single battle can be won... but hating is drinking poison and expecting someone else to suffer. No matter how many rights you give, how much you do, it will never be enough if they are still hateful. Same with any of the movements, with any of the things. All this has done is throw kerosene on an already burning flame...it's only bigger...and I don't want to see the country that allows so much freedom to fall due to this level of...division stirred by people who use hate as a means to fight.

I also just have...an issue with so many basically saying fuck the police, stop funding the police. Not. every. cop. IS BAD. What's the alternative? If you have no one keeping laws in place, you have anarchy. So anyone who doesn't want police basically wants anarchy...

but [MENTION=9251]Jonny[/MENTION] made an amazing point about how a little love, and empathy, goes a LONG way. I remember how terrified I was at my first car accident, and the person I accidentally collided with? she was so kind to me. The officer who came was very patient with me at the time. I remember when I went to the ER when I was going to kill myself at 16 and the officer wouldn't let my parents take me home because he had another kid before he trusted when they said I was fine, let me leave, and the next day he really did it. These cops are not all bad and some of them see and deal with really awful things. If anything, these officers also need understanding. Some just need accountability like this guy, but maybe these cops also need more help with therapies and etc. for the traumas they have to deal with on their jobs too. There are racists but there are also people who just snap. I think cops are literally snapping right now too, because no matter what they do they're wrong anymore. I encourage everyone here to find empathy for all the parties involved and try to have understanding, but also have the wisdom to acknowledge something was wrong without being completely spiteful.

I mentioned in my blog before how most black people have been very kind to me. I did have one who said he wanted to leave the state because "there's too many white people here". And I cannot imagine how this helps any issues. You cannot complain about judging people by race and turn around and judge them by race too. Why would you want to inflict that onto someone else? That's what I mean. Do not fight the hate with more hatred. It is sad. And really this just overshadows a great issue, which is poverty. Poverty is so hard, and poverty becomes like a lifestyle that's hard to get out of.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
You came to the thread and you posted. Nobody bothered you, so not sure who you're saying "leave me alone" to.

Issues exist. I won't apologize for speaking about them in a perfectly appropriate place.

I didn't even address you. What I said is relevant to this thread and current events. And frankly, everyone is bothering me right now because the world is on fire and humans are being inhumane. I'm just super done with it, and "leave me alone" was a less than literal expression of that, although I would be perfectly content to live alone in a cave in the mountains right about now, and if I didn't have children, I would probably be living closer to that lifestyle than this.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is an important topic to discuss - this question of racism vs. 'reverse-racism'.

I encountered the idea that racism = prejudice + power when I was taking a multicultural counseling class, and so it was expanded on a bit. I hope others will fill in the gaps of what I say.

When there is a power imbalance in society, the same motivations and actions can produce different results. To a limited degree one can reframe this larger notion of power imbalance by different individual roles that have a power imbalance. Consider teacher/student, employer/employee, adult/child, cop/civilian, counselor/client, etc. In each of these instance, if the individual holding the power commits a moral violation towards the one with less power, the result is more severe. If the teacher openly mocks a student it is different than when the student mocks a teacher. If a counselor tells a client they are a worthless piece of crap it is different than when a client says it to a counselor. Behaviors that are hurtful can always be wrong, but there is a way a student knows that their mocking has a different effect than if they were the teacher. In this way degree of social power serves as an amplifier for the behavior.

These examples are limited because one in power is dominant for other reasons than simply racial privilege. But the basic notion can extend to racial privilege. When the woman in the dog park threatened to call the police on the black man, it was a different action than if he threatened to call the police for her behavior. The assumed result is different and so the same behavior is different because of context. There is a motivation, a behavior, but then the context contributes to defining it.

At the point where a person is permanently maimed or murdered, then some of these notions change. If a student murders a teacher, it is not a less atrocity than if the teacher murders a student. In that instance the result of the behavior is the same and so in a way the power is the same. There can be different levels of this sociologically though, if the murder of one results in more similar murders because the victim has less social power, then even that could represent that difference in power, although at the individual level I still see the same line crossed and should be subjected to the same laws and punishments.

I really think this topic should be explored more comprehensively, and so I hope others will add to what I'm trying to say here.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I didn't even address you. What I said is relevant to this thread and current events. And frankly, everyone is bothering me right now because the world is on fire and humans are being inhumane. I'm just super done with it, and "leave me alone" was a less than literal expression of that, although I would be perfectly content to live alone in a cave in the mountains right about now, and if I didn't have children, I would probably be living closer to that lifestyle than this.
Sorry. I'm not myself right now. I'm having some problems with my medications / disorder shit. I can't tell what's overboard and what's not right now, I don't exactly trust myself at the moment...sorry if I was out of hand. Not using it as an excuse, just realizing oh shit I'm in that state right now and trying to back up / pause a bit and figure out what's what. Anyway, I hope you feel better. I know things have been difficult for you lately and I'm sorry if I've contributed to that somehow.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Nobody here supports looting or acts of violence. Nobody here supports looting or acts of violence. Nobody here supports looting or acts of violence.

No but that's ALL these people are focus on. These people that scream 24/7 about their freedom, their liberty and their rights. You will never hear anything else, that's all these protests are about to them because it is way too uncomfortable for them to address anything institutional because if they don't see it or are impacted by it it does not exsist.

You will never hear a peep about shit like this.

EZi4dX0X0AIQSGr

They will never protest or march or stand up for any other rights than their own and the imaginary violations that these fragile fucks can't handle.

That should tell you all you need to know about this flavor of American conservatism.

conservatives a month ago: “why should we listen to the government and stay home? you are all sheep, this is a free country!”

conservatives today: “if you just follow the government mandated curfew, the paramilitary police stormtroopers won’t shoot you in the face, it’s simple”

Fortunately you can watch all their support slip away by the day, by the hour in some cases. It's beautiful.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Sorry. I'm not myself right now. I'm having some problems with my medications / disorder shit. I can't tell what's overboard and what's not right now, I don't exactly trust myself at the moment...sorry if I was out of hand. Not using it as an excuse, just realizing oh shit I'm in that state right now and trying to back up / pause a bit and figure out what's what. Anyway, I hope you feel better. I know things have been difficult for you lately and I'm sorry if I've contributed to that somehow.

It's okay, Hex. I'm not myself either, and I'm not sure I can even remember the last time I was. I could have been more considerate in my wording.

My brain physically "hurts" lately (I'm still trying to figure out how to explain the sensation) with all of this chaos and stress (on top of inner struggles), both personally and at the larger scale.

I have to go back to work on Monday, and this last week has been so challenging that I'm concerned I won't be able to transition back into "normal", and this is the first time ever in my life I've been concerned that the illusion of normal may crumble into chaos and disorder on a scale I'm not prepared to deal with.

I need a break. I got one. It wasn't enough. I'm out of time.