• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Murder of George Floyd & Subsequent Protests/Riots

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The second amendment is important because people have the right to rebel against tyranny, though. This is blowing up the system. Didn't you vote for that 4 years ago, lol?
I'll take that as a no. I can't even imagine the mental and moral gymnastics required to condone the mass looting and destruction of public and private property in order to preserve the toxic bullshit narrative that all of this is somehow the fault of "racist america."

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
At least to the extent that riots looting and burning down businesses and police stations are "uncalled for" at best.
I am having a very different experience with this on Facebook. Witnessing a lot of justification for the destruction using the Boston Tea Party, Women's Suffrage, Stonewall Riots as examples. A lot of shutting down people's view of if it will or won't be effective for changing the situation if the view is from a white person. A lot of people being told that Black People can protest how they want and you can't tell people the right/wrong way to protest. Black and White people telling white people to stay in your lane or sit it out. Many in support or tolerance of the people there looting or burning down their community. Many in support of them burning down he precinct.
I looked up a few articles in the past day. One was a study regarding extreme, destructive protests and how they definitely gain media attention, yet how they tend to negatively impact support even from those who agree with the cause.
Two others were regarding the riots in Ferguson and the aftermath 3-5 years later and stated that the community relationships are pretty much the same or worse despite the implementation of legal changes and that the area Ian still suffering business-wise and with employment. I haven't seen one person reference the Ferguson riots yet as an example, although it is the most recent of this nature.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll take that as a no. I can't even imagine the mental and moral gymnastics required to condone the mass looting and destruction of public and private property in order to preserve the toxic bullshit narrative that all of this is somehow the fault of "racist america."

I'd say it takes far more mental gymnastics to try to interpret this as an isolated incident rather than yet another of many, many, many similar cases that follow a clear pattern.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Police violence is an issue in America, and there are racists in the police force. What happened to Floyd is disgusting, and that officer should be on death row. But it is unfair to say that the brutality disproportionatly affects blacks. It is just that the media only ever reports white on black crime, because it sells more. The news loves riots, and also instigates them by showing a skewed perception to rile people up. To make them think they are being attacked. But statistics show the truth. Also, police shootings have declined in the last 3 years for both white and black people. So its not like they are not trying. I say more body cams, and more accountability. Not every cop is bad.

This also happened in a blue state, and the people in power there need to purge bad cops. But unfortunately, just like teachers. It is difficult due to unions and beuacracy to fire anyone. Even with a track record. That is the real issue here. Police attract two kinds of people, and they say psychopaths and heros are very similar.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Police violence is an issue in America, and there are racists in the police force. What happened to Floyd is disgusting, and that officer should be on death row. But it is unfair to say that the brutality disproportionatly affects blacks. It is just that the media only ever reports white on black crime, because it sells more. The news loves riots, and also instigates them by showing a skewed perception to rile people up. To make them think they are being attacked. But statistics show the truth. Also, police shootings have declined in the last 3 years for both white and black people. So its not like they are not trying. I say more body cams, and more accountability. Not every cop is bad.

This also happened in a blue state, and the people in power there need to purge bad cops. But unfortunately, just like teachers. It is difficult due to unions and beuacracy to fire anyone. Even with a track record. That is the real issue here. Police attract two kinds of people, and they say psychopaths and heros are very similar.

You can't be fucking serious.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Definitely true. I can only imagine the perpetual state of fear suburban white teenagers are forced to live with of possibly becoming a victim of racially motivated police brutality while engaging in innocent activities such as jogging through your neighborhood or shopping at a local convenience store. /s

ORc.gif

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I never said no. I simply decided that it wasn't something I was interested in debating, because it's a topic that other people can handle better than me with more enthusiasm. Intuitively, I think racism is the cause, and I'm confident that others can provide the hard evidence to bolster that claim. At any rate, I have no personal interest in dissecting the psychology of the cops involved to prove something obvious to me.

I find it more interesting to have these discussion be about values, motivations, and logic. For instance, to me, murder is a bigger crime than property discussion, and the fact that not everyone (like yourself) agrees is something I'm more interested in digging into.

When authority figures have no respect for the rules when applied to themselves, a breakdown in public order like this is unsurprising. Yes, it may be something they can get away with, but this does not mean there are no consequences. There are consequences, for instance, in not having respect for the right of public assembly by gassing protestors. No point getting emotional about property destruction; the way the police initially responded to the protest (in response to something they caused) has logical consequences.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The same brutality happens in black dominated cities like Chicago, but are rarely reported on.

You're right, I've never heard anything about police brutality here.

/sarcsm.

Also, I wouldn't say Chicago is black-dominated. The poorest and least influential neighborhoods are populated mostly by people of color. Having a black mayor (who has nonetheless still been dragging her feet on police accountability) doesn't change that fact.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm starting to wonder whether or not you're a real person or just a Fox news bot with a very complex algorithm of typical right-wing talking point automated responses.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I'm starting to wonder whether or not you're a real person or just a Fox news bot with a very complex algorithm of typical right-wing talking point automated responses.

5805b89d4d9ddc3896b8b971ed85a9f1.jpg

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Im obviously a supremely well made AI, manipulating everything. How do you know I am not the one pulling Fox's strings?

C13Q508.jpg

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Statistics:
https://policingequity.org/images/pdfs-doc/CPE_SoJ_Race-Arrests-UoF_2016-07-08-1130.pdf
These analyses are largely similar in scope to the analyses of Section III. They reveal a robust
racial disparity benchmarked to population such that Blacks receive a mean use of force
score—a combination of counts and severity—that is roughly 3.8 times higher than Whites.
This disparity holds, but is reduced to roughly 1.3, when benchmarking use of force scores
against all arrests. The direction of this disparity changes when controlling for arrests for
violent Part I crimes, although the median severity score is higher for Blacks than for Whites.
Importantly, 3 of 11 departments (27%) continue to demonstrate racial disparities in mean
severity of use of force that disadvantage Blacks even in the context of this conservative test

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
New Study Says White Police Officers Are Not More Likely To Shoot Minority Suspects : NPR
There has been one recurring theory, that white cops are more likely to shoot black people because of racial bias. Now a new study is challenging that conclusion. NPR's Martin Kaste has more.

MARTIN KASTE, BYLINE: Since the Ferguson protests of 2014, we've learned a lot more about fatal shootings by the police. News organizations started collecting their own data on shootings to make up for incomplete federal stats, and academics started building on that. Michigan State University psychologist Joseph Cesario is part of a group that looked at fatal shootings in 2015. They added in the race of the police, and then did a statistical analysis.

JOSEPH CESARIO: The race of a police officer did not predict the race of the citizen shot. In other words, black officers were just as likely to shoot black citizens as white officers were.

KASTE: Other studies have looked at this question, but this one comes closest to being a nationwide analysis. It's also getting extra attention because it's in a prestigious peer-reviewed journal, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. And that puzzles Philip Atiba Goff.

GOFF: Racism is not a thing that white people can have and black people can't. And nobody's research would suggest that it does. That's a really wild premise based in no research that no serious scientist should be able to say out loud and then get it published.

KASTE: But the paper's lead author, David J. Johnson of the University of Maryland, says some academics do make that assumption, especially in his field, psychology. And he believes the same assumption is being made by the media.

DAVID J JOHNSON: I think that you see that in reporting on individual shootings, where they'll mention the race of the officer. And the reason that they mention that is because it's perceived as being relevant. So what we did was, for the first time, tested that assumption.

How many times does one have to get burned by the media to keep buying the crap they are selling? I feel like people have no identities anymore; as though they would cease existing if they weren't constantly plugged into the zeitgeist of social media.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I never said no. I simply decided that it wasn't something I was interested in debating, because it's a topic that other people can handle better than me with more enthusiasm. Intuitively, I think racism is the cause, and I'm confident that others can provide the hard evidence to bolster that claim. At any rate, I have no personal interest in dissecting the psychology of the cops involved to prove something obvious to me.

I find it more interesting to have these discussion be about values, motivations, and logic. For instance, to me, murder is a bigger crime than property discussion, and the fact that not everyone (like yourself) agrees is something I'm more interested in digging into.

When authority figures have no respect for the rules when applied to themselves, a breakdown in public order like this is unsurprising. Yes, it may be something they can get away with, but this does not mean there are no consequences. There are consequences, for instance, in not having respect for the right of public assembly by gassing protestors. No point getting emotional about property destruction; the way the police initially responded to the protest (in response to something they caused) has logical consequences.

Right on, I can appreciate where you're coming from. I'm team fuck-the-police all the way, though I've dealt with many good-egg cops that I wouldn't apply that to. In principal, I don't like them, and I don't like what they are about. I don't like the fact that nothing you can ever say to a cop who has you under the microscope of suspicion can help you- it can only be used to fuck you, and fucking you is mostly what cops are after at all times. Still, there are some good eggs, and even some good egg moments from the bad ones. The "I'll let it slide with a warning" types.

I can't say I would try putting the events here on a scale to compare, though. It's not murder vs riots, they are both terrible, and there's just too much blame to go around to even focus. The dickhead cop. His dickhead buddies. The guy with counterfeit money (who died). The guy who posted the video online for the likes. The various interest groups who benefit from racially divisive notions (media, city leaders, politicians). Whoever authorized tear gas to get people off a freeway. Whoever started shooting it. Whoever started breaking stuff. Everyone else who ran in to get free stuff just because everyone else was and why not. It's a waco level avalanche of bad decisions from all directions.

Don't crucify me for saying this, but it also probably was not the cops intention to kill the man. And if he does have any humanity in him he is currently living with the fact that he's responsible for all of this; for the man's death, out of a job, out of his former position of authority, and looking at some prison time. He's in hell, however you slice it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm referring to national news, not local news (you live in Chicago?) You might see a one time aired story, but rarely is it back to back coverage like Floyd's murder, and ensuring riots. That just doesn't happen when a white person is killed in such a way, and no one riots usually. Which in my opinion, makes it feel like its acceptable behavior. You can say this is the result of media bias towards reporting, as well as cultural. White people don't have the brotherhood mentality, and view others of the same race as strangers. Which makes perfect sense when you realize "white" isn't really a race, and refers to multiple ethinc groups that are unrelated to each other. While blacks consider themselves one ethnic group usually. This can explain the media bias as well.

This is one of the most ridiculous things to come out of your jabroni ass and that's saying something.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Some of you may want to have a look at this guy, he is responsible for much of the militarization of the police forces in the US. Including Minneapolis.

“Are You Prepared to Kill Somebody?” A Day With One of America’s Most Popular Police Trainers – Mother Jones

The police union doesn't like the mayor because....he's a Democrat I image. So they cry and they use taxpayer money to give these "training" sessions to the police there, until he, the mayor banned it, rightly so. I have no issue with Dave Grossan training US military personal but he has no business anywhere near police, let alone civilians, who he also provides "training" to.

Minneapolis Bans ‘Warrior-Style’ Training for Police Officers – Next City

Nothing I'm posting is new or has anything to do with the current events. Both links are at least a year old.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Some of you may want to have a look at this guy, he is responsible for much of the militarization of the police forces in the US. Including Minneapolis.

“Are You Prepared to Kill Somebody?” A Day With One of America’s Most Popular Police Trainers – Mother Jones

The police union doesn't like the mayor because....he's a Democrat I image. So they cry and they use taxpayer money to give these "training" sessions to the police there, until he, the mayor banned it, rightly so. I have no issue with Dave Grossan training US military personal but he has no business anywhere near police, let alone civilians, who he also provides "training" to.

Minneapolis Bans ‘Warrior-Style’ Training for Police Officers – Next City

Nothing I'm posting is new or has anything to do with the current events. Both links are at least a year old.

This is one of my biggest irritants. The police should NOT be militarized in any way shape or form. A cop is not supposed to be a soldier in any way shape or form.