User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is America great now?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 12.00%
  • No

    20 80.00%
  • This question is mean.

    2 8.00%
12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 114

  1. #1
    blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    13,679

    Default Is America great now?



    What do you think?
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  2. #2
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,910

    Default

    When was America great? It was predicated on the ownership of slaves. It's only ever been about capitalism and exploitation of labor and genocide.
    Likes RadicalDoubt, Riva liked this post

  3. #3
    blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    13,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    When was America great? It was predicated on the ownership of slaves. It's only ever been about capitalism and exploitation of labor and genocide.
    Well, I used to have some ideas about it being a haven for immigrants. I thought one area where we were more progressive than Europe was with regards to immigration (which was because, I assumed, we'd already had mass waves of immigration). Thank god the GOP changed my mind about all that in its quest for "greatness."

    I will add that as I learn more about the history of immigration policy, my prior view seems rather naive.

    These days, I feel a stronger connection to my city and state than the country as a whole.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi


    Likes RadicalDoubt liked this post

  4. #4

    Default

    • In April, the U.S. unemployment rate was 14.7%, an unprecedented figure since the Great Depression.
    • Last known gini index was 48.5 (2018 published in 2019), the highest level of inequality for 50 years. It's likely higher now.
    • At present, American Springs is happening (riots, burning and looting all over the country) while 104,357 lives have been lost due to the incompetence of the Trump Administration, never mind 1,789,368 confirmed infected with C19 and that only 1/4 have recovered but the U.S. continues reopening at an alarming pace.

  5. #5
    blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    13,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rav3n View Post
    • In April, the U.S. unemployment rate was 14.7%, an unprecedented figure since the Great Depression.
    • Last known gini index was 48.5 (2018 published in 2019), the highest level of inequality for 50 years. It's likely higher now.
    • At present, American Springs is happening (riots, burning and looting all over the country) while 104,357 lives have been lost due to the incompetence of the Trump Administration, never mind 1,789,368 confirmed infected with C19 and that only 1/4 have recovered but the U.S. continues reopening at an alarming pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    The Lamestream Media is doing everything within their power to foment hatred and anarchy. As long as everybody understands what they are doing, that they are FAKE NEWS and truly bad people with a sick agenda, we can easily work through them to GREATNESS!
    yes more greatness, more death, unemployment, and riots, lol.

    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi



  6. #6
    Feline Moderator The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    19,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    yes more greatness, more death, unemployment, and riots, lol.


    Make Fires Great Again?
    SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

  7. #7
    blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    13,679

    Default

    I'm in a "discussion" with my MAGA uncle about Trump right now. During this, I asked him how America has become great in the last three years when it wasn't before. His only real response was that Trump was President of it and not Obama. So, he likes Trump because he makes America great, and America is great because Trump is president. OK. Also he added as an afterthought something about him appointing judges, which no President has ever done before, I guess.

    He naturally invoked the "logic" of his positions earlier when I used the "facts don't care about your feelings" line. I'll give Ben Shapiro this, it's a lot of fun to say. I got to use it at least once more.

    The Trump cult is way worse than Obama's fanbase ever was. At least with him, they would point to some specific policy that they thought was good; they could find specific positive impacts (even if I thought those were not enough). Here they just invoke a bunch of things Americans invented before Trump was president, or use circular reasoning.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi


    Likes highlander liked this post

  8. #8

  9. #9
    blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    13,679

    Default

    Deep down, I think they know Trump sucks, but they just have too much cognitive dissonance to admit that to themselves.
    A path is made by walking on it.

    -Zhuangzi


    Likes highlander liked this post

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Deep down, I think they know Trump sucks, but they just have too much cognitive dissonance to admit that to themselves.
    Wish they would so this hell has the potential to end for everyone, including themselves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO