• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random political thought thread.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Trump supporters leave big tip, powerful message for D.C. waitress - YouTube

this was on my youtube page and it is older but a sweet reminder both sides could seriously treat each other more human and most of the people on either side actually aren't in the extremist category...

When people are pleading for "civility" while ignoring or, in the case of the Trump supporters, voting for and actively promoting entirely inhuman and evil policy, I have to shake my head at the "sweetness". Rapists, mass murders, genocidal dictators are often described as "sweet" by someone too.

The request is to listen and stop supporting policy that makes some Americans comfortable at the cost of most of the rest of America.

The obsession some have with "civility" is insane - like civility has ever worked in the past. It doesn't. People just want to delude themselves that it does so they don't have to listen to the uncomfortable truths or make very comprehensive changes to the way they think, they way they act, the way they vote and if they want to be garbage humans or not. Their choice. But stop calling for civility because the most disenfranchised people in this country have NEVER been treated civilly. Why should they offer it to anyone for any reason at this point?

Beware of the media promoting the "feel good stories". They generally aren't once you give them more than a passing glance.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
There's a whole thread to the suspicious nature of feel good stories in fact.

The Cat

Staff member
When people are pleading for "civility" while ignoring or, in the case of the Trump supporters, voting for and actively promoting entirely inhuman and evil policy, I have to shake my head at the "sweetness". Rapists, mass murders, genocidal dictators are often described as "sweet" by someone too.

The request is to listen and stop supporting policy that makes some Americans comfortable at the cost of most of the rest of America.

The obsession some have with "civility" is insane - like civility has ever worked in the past. It doesn't. People just want to delude themselves that it does so they don't have to listen to the uncomfortable truths or make very comprehensive changes to the way they think, they way they act, the way they vote and if they want to be garbage humans or not. Their choice. But stop calling for civility because the most disenfranchised people in this country have NEVER been treated civilly. Why should they offer it to anyone for any reason at this point?

Beware of the media promoting the "feel good stories". They generally aren't once you give them more than a passing glance.

Like with the sinister threat of boars...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There's a whole thread to the suspicious nature of feel good stories in fact.

Oh yes. And not so long ago, these things were just glossed over at the end of newscasts or whatever - ESPN devotes entire shows to this type of horrible (the kid died of Monsanto caused cancer BUT the team won the championship. Woooo!).

But when you really look at them you go WTF? This is NOT feel good!! There is nothing good here!! Fucking neoliberalism is a goddamn toxic boil on the ass of humanity, fuck corporate media!!....

But once you get past that initial realization and outburst, you make sure you point out to people how and why these stories are terrible, not feel good and why MSM continues to pump people full of this myth. Content, ad $$ and clicks. That's it. Start demanding the bar be set higher, not lower. Stop masking societal failures with this shit.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
EiYmu4bX0AEc5bB

I hate that cheesy shit with advertising and brand names for those products. However, I bet that naval one smells good.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this was on my youtube page and it is older but a sweet reminder both sides could seriously treat each other more human and most of the people on either side actually aren't in the extremist category...

I am really struggling with that kind of thing, because when people are either promoting or allowing horrible things to happen to certain segments of the population, isn't it just a form of enabling/tacit approval to buddy up and pretend like we can be on friendly terms with each other?

Because that is what we are dealing with culturally at this point. It's not even cloaked.

If people are able to be friends and meet in the middle because they are allied again the extremist behavior, sure. But how can one pretend to be civil if they openly promote, vote for, and support overtly destructive/oppressive policies flying in the face of the general idea of what the USA was always supposed to be about?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I hate that cheesy shit with advertising and brand names for those products. However, I bet that naval one smells good.

I would also like to smell the naval supremacy because the Protestant work ethic insanity inflicted on the entire country productivity, likely smells like ass and death.

The Cat

Staff member
I would also like to smell the naval supremacy because the Protestant work ethic insanity inflicted on the entire country productivity, likely smells like ass and death.

It does. and dusty grease.

Jaguar

A lot of people need to learn the difference between "systemic/structural/institutional" and "individual". The more outraged someone gets when they take "systemic/structural/institutional" to mean the same as "individual" (and view it as a personal insult), simply means they are ignorant of the definition.

Just like most people have no idea what Anarchism means.

The dictionary is a good thing. Please use it.

Someone actually called me an anarchist once. In this forum. They may have been smoking crack at the time, I can't be sure.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Someone actually called me an anarchist once. In this forum. They may have been smoking crack at the time, I can't be sure.

That's actually funny. Maybe they were new.

Jaguar

FFS, McMaster. Come on TV to speak out about all the horse shit because you give a rat's ass. Not just to sell a book.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What State Polls Can Tell Us About The National Race | FiveThirtyEight

This is kind of interesting from a polling wonk's POV... but does it really matter in terms of who will win?

The nation doesn't really select a winner. The states do. You win the state, you get the electoral votes, regardless of the cumulative national bent.

At most, the national leaning is just suggesting the overall mood of the country.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At this point, I'm convinced that Trump could run through the streets of Washington DC stark naked while tossing rotten eggs at random bystanders and his supporters would still consider him a fine man worth voting back into the office. We have had few presidents who have been so inept, offensive, and ridiculous. And yet, his supporters continue to praise and uphold him. I hope it's purely because he has an "R" next to his name rather than because people have somehow deluded themselves to the point that they think he's a genuinely good person.