• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sexual identity and gender identity politics

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sexual identity and gender identity politics are prurient by definition. I think the American obsession with sex/gender politics is directly linked to its generally prudish culture, because talking about people's genitals and who is interested in fucking who is publicly acceptable only if a bigger issue is involved, such as politics. It is the same reason why Freud's theories spread like wildfire in the uptight Victorian culture, because people could talk about fucking under the guise of discussing psychology and mental health issues. I'm not discounting Freud's work per se, just explaining the big reason behind its cultural impact.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Like Foucault, I don't think we're sexually repressed at all. We're too obsessed with it to be repressed.

The repression thing might apply if you're a Hasidic Jew or Amish or something like that; but it doesn't really hold water in mainstream American society.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Like Foucault, I don't think we're sexually repressed at all. We're too obsessed with it to be repressed.

The repression thing might apply if you're a Hasidic Jew or Amish or something like that; but it doesn't really hold water in mainstream American society.

You can be obsessed with it and be prudish and repressed. Which this country is greatly. Obsessed because everyone thinks they have an opinion on what others do sexually and prudish because that opinion gives them the ability to be outraged about what everyone else but them is doing with their bodies. You also see that the people screaming the loudest about everyone else's bodies or sexuality are generally the ones with the most issues about their own sexuality. Maybe they need a new Freud or maybe they just need to shut the fuck up.