• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus Rant Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In 2020, dying of COVID-19 was widely seen as an unqualified tragedy. It was the beginning of the pandemic, when it felt as if the entire world was in a state of collective grief. There was a palpable, shared mourning for all the lives gone too soon: the smiling mothers and jokester grandfathers and so-and-so from church who always lent a helping hand. All victims of a virus, unfurling and cruel.

But that was before the vaccines. Before COVID deaths got caught up in a culture war.

Now the majority of COVID deaths are occurring among the unvaccinated, and many deaths are likely preventable. The compassion extended to the virus’s victims is no longer universal. Sometimes, in place of condolences, loved ones receive scorn...

I find it hard to feel compassion when people die unvaccinated IF they don't have a bona fide medical reason to not be vaccinated. Most of the excuses don't cut it -- and it reminds me too much of the ignorance I experienced in rural religious areas growing up -- maybe people are sounding like they have reasons, but deep down it's basically because they don't like being told what to do by someone outside their area.

Even when someone has been negligent, I've noticed in myself that it's easier to harsh on strangers (internally) then it is on people I actually know. Like, I know the people I went to high school with have been dying of COVID. A few somehow just managed to survive COVID after doing extensive hospital time. Even when their reasons are bad or negligent, I still end up feeling bad for them or their families because I already had a connection to them and can picture them in my head. It's a little harder to feel compassion for strangers who behaved irresponsibly (to me).

I don't really know how I feel about this article, at times where it seems to just make this a "culture war" thing. I don't really care about culture wars. I do care that someone chose to not take reasonable precautions that we've already done previously historically, that put themselves and others who are trying to take precautions at risk. Is it a culture war thing to want to see responsible people benefit from their precautions and to see irresponsible people not hurt the responsible? There's a lot of fear going around, and some of it is reasonable (my kid just had to rough it through COVID and he was even vaccinated -- I can't imagine how bad it would have been for him if he hadn't been), and it's easy to not have sympathy towards those who have belittled the folks taking reasonable precautions and then get sick.

I'm not the kind of person who would harass the grieving (like described in the article) because that seems wrong to me as well, but in terms of my personal sympathy, I don't feel a lot towards the person themselves if they refused to take care of themselves and others. If that is a source of shame or embarrassment, maybe it should also be a feeling of deep loss -- because one could have prevented that, and both they and their loved ones are suffering needlessly.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:dry:

A popular Czech folk singer has died after deliberately getting infected with the coronavirus, in an apparent move to skirt restrictions limiting access to some venues to people who have been immunized or recently recovered from infection, her family said.

Two days before she died, 57-year-old Hanka Horká, who was reportedly unvaccinated, wrote on social media that she had "survived" the virus and was looking forward to trips to the theater, the sauna, concerts and the sea...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
streaming services are the day-vuhl
Well fuck Spotify because they pay far less than other streaming services to artists. But trying to remove Joe Rogan is about the stupidest thing anyone could do. The right is already doing everything they can to be as fascist as possible, I'm not up to giving them anymore room to do so.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am kinda skeptical about COVID becoming endemic virus. It could simply be too dangerous to be just another virus out there. Especially since it will surely mutate further.
We will see.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Federal employees could sue the government for damages if they received a COVID-19 vaccine due to to President Biden’s vaccine mandate and had an adverse reaction.

If passed, the Protecting Americans’ Medical Rights Act (HR 6811) would permit civil action against federal, state or local governments that imposes a vaccine mandate that affects employment. The bill was introduced last month by Rep. Diana Harshbarger (R-TN)...

:dry:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Speaking of COVID:

Worldometer South Africa

The pandemic isn't fully over in South Africa. Therefore now as the Summer is ending it should be observed if the numbers are rising again. If they are rising we will not see real normalization any time soon.