• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Problem of Disinformation

Deprecator

When I googled this quote, I could not find it.

Judging by her Wikipedia article, on the off chance that she did say such a thing, it is out of context.
Sounds like you're both not very good with homework and have also already made up your mind... and all regardless of the facts at hand.

CDC: American risk for coronavirus is low

Americans still have low risk of coronavirus infection, CDC says

Wow, is the personality cult really so strong that you are willing to spread information that kills your countrymen if you think it helps your narrative?
Now weren't you the one who felt that you were both deceived and lied to because America never received a $50 billion check from Mexico? Obviously you're more than welcome to your opinion, but the fact remains that when I point blank asked what you thought "directly or indirectly" meant, you literally responded by editing my quote, making up things I never said and all while refusing to answer the question at hand.

When Biden debates Trump I predict he'll do exactly what all the other liberals I've ever met continue to do: struggle immensely with facts, consistently refuse to answer seemingly simple questions, and all while insisting that we should vote for him because... "orange man bad." And then of course when Trump wins re-election the left will have the audacity to act all "shocked" and "surprised" afterward. :dry:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
You think Biden has a chance?

It's pretty clear you don't retain anything you read because I've said Biden has no path to win probably 25 times on this forum.

As for Trump, he doesn't demonize. He just pokes fun at people, and almost always in response to those poking fun at him

Yes because that Mexicans are rapists was a) poking fun and b) provoked by I dunno, Mexicans raping him? He said it before the election.

Why don't they stop calling him Orange Cheeto or Literally Hitler?

Dear Leader is my favorite and that's because he acts exactly like the autocrat he so badly wants to be. Ask any of the Europeans on this forum that lived under one. It's also the reason Trump demands loyalty and when he doesn't get it he acts like a toddler - he thinks we owe him. We do not and he has earned none.

Open for dialogue, as in, being able to talk about your opinions and beliefs with respect and not being met with spite, anger, and ad hominems.

I talk to Trump voters and right wing people all the time - that's all there is around me. But it's adorable that you still think it's all about differing political opinions when discussing people and their lives. But this is both side-ism and libs do it too. It's stupid.

Respect is earned, not given.

You're very right there. Donald Trump speaks to the majority of Americans like they are some dregs from the bottom of a dumpster. So he gets no respect from me or any sane person - he hasn't earned it. Blind obedience is not respect.

The media disrespects him constantly, and it is why he treats them like shit.

lol Trump LOVES the media. It's how he gets people like you to support him. It's certainty not job performance. The corporate media also loves Trump. They created him 40+ years ago. So you should be thanking them..

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I have seen, it takes an order of magnitude more time and effort to disprove or debunk misinformation than to toss it out there in the first place. That is why we cannot rely on the "marketplace of ideas" to separate the wheat from the chaff, at least not in cyberspace where posting is instantaneous and review mostly nonexistent.

Jaguar

Giving out medical advice to forum members isn't the same thing as giving out 'medical disinformation.'

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like you're both not very good with homework and have also already made up your mind... and all regardless of the facts at hand.

CDC: American risk for coronavirus is low

Americans still have low risk of coronavirus infection, CDC says

One is from early February and the other is late in January. The situation is hardly the same now.

That being said, at least you didn't make it up whole cloth. Still, your priorities are even more out of whack than I thought. I'll be watching you very closely.

When Biden debates Trump I predict he'll do exactly what all the other liberals I've ever met continue to do: struggle immensely with facts, consistently refuse to answer seemingly simple questions, and all while insisting that we should vote for him because... "orange man bad." And then of course when Trump wins re-election the left will have the audacity to act all "shocked" and "surprised" afterward.

I don't care about Biden. I bet my dad 100 dollars that he would lose to Trump. And I never gamble.

I suppose his loss would have a silver lining in that it would discredit the establishment wing of the Democratic party even more. It would be difficult to deny that they are incompetent fuckwits at everything except stopping actual progressives after two straight Presidential defeats in a row where "electability" failed to work.

Biden's wing of the Democratic party likes Republicans much more than the like the Sanders folks despite all their talk of "resistance." They think the electorate hasn't changed at all since the 1990s (and their successes then were probably just because of Ross Perot) and wonder why they lose to people like Trump.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's pretty clear you don't retain anything you read because I've said Biden has no path to win probably 25 times on this forum.

Oh I remember you saying you didn't think Biden would win, you even admitted Trump would win pretty easily. It was when you said "This is precisely what people on the left hoped for, everyone else thinks it's just Bernie. Come up with something palatable on the right if you want the majority to back it." that it sounded like Biden was more palatable than Trump. Which begs to question just how bad you think Trump is overall. I seriously do not think he is worse or better than most presidents in the past. He is however, better in trade and economics. You have to really ignore reality to not see the good he does do.

Yes because that Mexicans are rapists was a) poking fun and b) provoked by I dunno, Mexicans raping him? He said it before the election.

Now who cannot read? That quote once again, was taken out of context when Trump was addressing the majority of illegal crossings were the result of gang activity and human trafficing. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending the best. They're sending people that have lots of problems and they're bringing those problems. They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime. They're rapists and some, I assume, are good people, but I speak to border guards and they're telling us what we're getting." -Donald Trump

It is pretty obvious what he is talking about this in this quote, and you have to be intentionally willfully ignorant to not see that. He is not "poking fun" at Mexicans in general. He is making a point about what the nation is up against. The border guards are the ones that informed him of most of the people making the crossings. Many Hispanic people also support Trump, due to them being affected by the gang activity. Sure their could be some seeking new lives in USA, but they have to go through the proper channels. Because there would otherwise be no way to filter out the bad ones, or those who would wind up into slave labour on farms. Wouldn't you want immigrants to have the same benefits as citizens?

Dear Leader is my favorite and that's because he acts exactly like the autocrat he so badly wants to be. Ask any of the Europeans on this forum that lived under one. It's also the reason Trump demands loyalty and when he doesn't get it he acts like a toddler - he thinks we owe him. We do not and he has earned none.

I think you are oversimplifying it. Trump has had nothing but disrespect, dysfunction, and petty shit throwing at him since the beginning. It is completely within his right to asked to be treated fairly. As I have stated before, he is treated incredibly unfairly by almost all of the Establishment and media. He isn't the one in the wrong, demanding unity to get shit done, when everyone else is throwing a pissy fit because they don't like him because he is "mean". Who is more childish? The Establishment who tried to oust him out of office from the get go without doing anything wrong. Spending billions of tax payer money to do so on literally nothing? Or the one trying to do something productive with America to his best ability. It is pretty obvious. Also, you shouldn't mock people for personality flaws, as everyone has them. Few can do everything perfectly. You should be looking beyond that. If Trump spoke just like everyone else, I highly doubt anything would change, and he would be in a worst position. Trump is the way he is, because it works. Because he has been in show business, and marketing. He knows exactly how he comes off, and uses it to his advantage. Far too many leaders rather play nice, and are too afraid to do anything that stands out of the crowd. That is weakness in my book. A leader should never show weakness in front of a nation. Regardless if he comes off as arrogant.

I talk to Trump voters and right wing people all the time - that's all there is around me. But it's adorable that you still think it's all about differing political opinions when discussing people and their lives. But this is both side-ism and libs do it too. It's stupid.

It isn't about just "talking" to them, it is about being friends with them and agreeing to disagree. I feel you do not know me at all, for example. Any preconceived notions you have of my personality are probably false, since we do not talk outside of the political forum. I am curious as to what you think of Trump supporters outside of politics, and how you treat them. Because from what I can tell, you treat them with contempt, and you view yourself superior both intellectually and culturally. Who are you outside of politics, I wonder?

You're very right there. Donald Trump speaks to the majority of Americans like they are some dregs from the bottom of a dumpster. So he gets no respect from me or any sane person - he hasn't earned it. Blind obedience is not respect.

No he does not. I would say he speaks more to the blue collar workers than anything else. The fact you think he treats everyone like shit, shows me just how better off you are in life than the average American. Since you obviously care more about pedantic tone, than you do substance and reality. If he did treat everyone like shit, no one would support him. What do you think he is saying/doing, that makes people trust and believe in him so much? It is more than words, it is action as well. From my point of view, he doesn't have that disconnect that most politicians do. When he addresses the nation, it feels more like he is talking to Americans like anyone else would on the streets. He is more personable, and feels more on "our level". He doesn't use sophisticated language, he brings himself down to get his message across to more people. Why is this a bad thing? Do you care more about image, than message?

lol Trump LOVES the media. It's how he gets people like you to support him. It's certainty not job performance. The corporate media also loves Trump. They created him 40+ years ago. So you should be thanking them..

The media didn't get me to support Trump, I supported Trump due to the sheer unfairness of the media initially. 2016 was the year I got into politics, and when I educated myself on the policies they had. Trump already reflected the majority of what I thought America needed, and felt they were very common sense. I initially hated him like everyone else too, and wanted Rand Paul to win (lol), but as I educated myself more into politics. I leaned away from Libertarian Capitalism, and more towards Liberalism. I also didn't even know who Trump was before the election, since I don't watch TV and have never been into pop culture. It was kinda uncanny realizing how many movies he was in at that point. Since he has been elected, I have seen nothing but attempts and actions taken to make all his campaign promises happen. That in of itself, would make me very satisfied. He was exactly what I voted for, and more. I didn't care about the sophistry of the establishment, or the media. Trump was definitely an outsider, even if he was a billionaire.

Anyways, nice chat, but I am opting out of this conversation with you before it gets too derailed.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
No one hates disinformation more than the D.

200.gif

á´…eparted

passages
I forget where I saw it but I recently saw someone say that with Trump supporters it is akin to a giant diffuse cult. I've seen people float this notion for years now and was uncertain what to think of it, largely because cults are rather specific and I found it hard to see how you could literally label trump supporters as cultists. Now though, I don't think that matters. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,,, its's a duck. The pandemic has fully shown this.

This then begs the question: if trump supporters could best be described as cultists, then it stands to reason deprogramming techniques might be our best bet at combating this. The problem is, how on earth do we start doing this on a disseminated mass scale? Also, does this suggest that if trump were to die it would free a good chunk of people rather quickly?

Something needs to be done though. The supporters of Trump are collectively a larger threat to us all than Trump himself.

Deprogramming - Wikipedia

Research certainly needs to be poured into how to do this effectively and ethically.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forget where I saw it but I recently saw someone say that with Trump supporters it is akin to a giant diffuse cult. I've seen people float this notion for years now and was uncertain what to think of it, largely because cults are rather specific and I found it hard to see how you could literally label trump supporters as cultists. Now though, I don't think that matters. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,,, its's a duck. The pandemic has fully shown this.

This then begs the question: if trump supporters could best be described as cultists, then it stands to reason deprogramming techniques might be our best bet at combating this. The problem is, how on earth do we start doing this on a disseminated mass scale? Also, does this suggest that if trump were to die it would free a good chunk of people rather quickly?

Something needs to be done though. The supporters of Trump are collectively a larger threat to us all than Trump himself.

Deprogramming - Wikipedia

Research certainly needs to be poured into how to do this effectively and ethically.

How dramatic. Some people may be cultish, but it is no more or less than any other populist. You shouldn't generalize people. You could easily say the same for Sander's supporters. Most politicians would give anything to have what Trump has with his voting base. I think there is also the issue that Trump stands alone, rather than just being someone from the Republican party. As many Trump supporters are independents, moderates, democratic, and republican voters who wanted to try him out. So it creates the illusion of a cult since they support him and not a single party, because his presidency is unprecedented in recent history.

á´…eparted

passages
How dramatic. Some people may be cultish, but it is no more or less than any other populist. You shouldn't generalize people. You could easily say the same for Sander's supporters. Most politicians would give anything to have what Trump has with his voting base. I think there is also the issue that Trump stands alone, rather than just being someone from the Republican party. As many Trump supporters are independents, moderates, democratic, and republican voters who wanted to try him out. So it creates the illusion of a cult since they support him and not a single party, because his presidency is unprecedented in recent history.

Nah, Trump supporters are dangerous morons.

Indeed, they have cult mentalities.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
[MENTION=37565]Maou[/MENTION] Dude, I do not know that much about Trump, but...
If the guy is still against the lockdown and quarantine stuff, looking at [MENTION=9251]Jonny[/MENTION] data on Corona topic, then the media is bashing him with a good reason in their hands.

I have a terrible knowledge about Trump and I dont vote for or against Trump so I rather not reading too much about it (although some euro people here seems to follow what Trump has been doing and saying, I dont), but some people call here the far right Bolsonaro as the tropical Trump. In short and superficial reasoning, although not inaccurate, the "tropical Trump" is indeed a beast, but this beast got many minions of his own who will jump to defend him and make him a victim. Today they are already cooking this already: A: "Many people died by Corona because Bolsonaro refused lockdown and quarantine"; Minion: "Many people died because the left arranged to still celebrate <a local-traditional early gathering parade that remembers a big dancing moving party>, so its all left fault". They got plenty of stuff like that, whatever the "tropical Trump" says, they run to defend him as fast as possible. They also say that "Tropical Trump" is a victim of media as well. If Trump is as bad as or just slightly better than the "Tropical Trump", then it is likely that you are being minionized. Just a warning, not an argument.

I prefer to not comment about how I reached that conclusion, so take this as my subjective opinion: If Trump was never born, than there would be "another Trump", I mean, someone with more or less the same characteristics replacing him. I reached that conclusion to Bolsonaro at least lol, but in a wide way.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=37565]Maou[/MENTION] Dude, I do not know that much about Trump, but...
If the guy is still against the lockdown and quarantine stuff, looking at [MENTION=9251]Jonny[/MENTION] data on Corona topic, then the media is bashing him with a good reason in their hands.

I have a terrible knowledge about Trump and I dont vote for or against Trump so I rather not reading too much about it (although some euro people here seems to follow what Trump has been doing and saying, I dont), but some people call here the far right Bolsonaro as the tropical Trump. In short and superficial reasoning, although not inaccurate, the "tropical Trump" is indeed a beast, but this beast got many minions of his own who will jump to defend him and make him a victim. Today they are already cooking this already: A: "Many people died by Corona because Bolsonaro refused lockdown and quarantine"; Minion: "Many people died because the left arranged to still celebrate <a local-traditional early gathering parade that remembers a big dancing moving party>, so its all left fault". They got plenty of stuff like that, whatever the "tropical Trump" says, they run to defend him as fast as possible. They also say that "Tropical Trump" is a victim of media as well. If Trump is as bad as or just slightly better than the "Tropical Trump", then it is likely that you are being minionized. Just a warning, not an argument.

Trump wasn't against the lockdown, and he didn't call the Coronavirus a hoax either. He prematurely stated he wanted to reopen the economy as soon as possible sometime in March. But when things turned for the worst, he rescinded his statement. Trump has given advice based on what the CDC said, and holds frequent task force press conferences (which the news pretty much stopped reporting on, for no real good reason). He has told the states to do what they felt was best while closing the nation's borders (respecting state rights, and not enforcing federal authority). Which they then followed the lockdowns, and other cautionary measures like every other country, but at their own rate.

It is important to note, I don't think anyone had any idea how contagious this disease was till it was too late. China lied about their data, and still is. Italy's situation should have made that obvious in the beginning. Trump was however, among the first to take extreme measures early on in February. In which he was called racist for doing so. Russia, closed its borders way before the USA, and it didn't suffer as many infections.

This on top of American culture, didn't mix well. Americans like to scoff at authority, and do their own thing. It is how we got things like the "Spring breaker" infections, and Florida.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

á´…eparted

passages
Trump wasn't against the lockdown, and he didn't call the Coronavirus a hoax either. He prematurely stated he wanted to reopen the economy as soon as possible sometime in March. But when things turned for the worst, he rescinded his statement. Trump has given advice based on what the CDC said, and holds frequent task force press conferences (which the news pretty much stopped reporting on, for no real good reason). He has told the states to do what they felt was best while closing the nation's borders (respecting state rights, and not enforcing federal authority). Which they then followed the lockdowns, and other cautionary measures like every other country, but at their own rate.

It is important to note, I don't think anyone had any idea how contagious this disease was till it was too late. China lied about their data, and still is. Italy's situation should have made that obvious in the beginning. Trump was however, among the first to take extreme measures early on in February. In which he was called racist for doing so. Russia, closed its borders way before the USA, and it didn't suffer as many infections.

This on top of American culture, didn't mix well. Americans like to scoff at authority, and do their own thing. It is how we got things like the "Spring breaker" infections, and Florida.

⚠️ ⚠️ Caution. Disinformation detected. Please proceed with caution. ⚠️ ⚠️

This is actually a great exhibit of one of the many forms disinformation can take, and I'd argue this is one of the most insidious forms of it. Particularly because the individuals parroting in this way often doesn't even have awareness that they are engaging in disinformation. What is it? It's a mixture of outright falsehoods, casting a different interpretation of an event or notion wherein it no longer remains an accurate interpretation, and mixed with overt and subtext of "calm down, it's not so bad, and both/many sides are at fault". There is almost always this element of downplaying, which makes it particularly difficult to combat if you directly try to counter it, because a common tactic upon anyone calling "this is serious" or showing any sense of urgency is met with "you are over-reacting". While on it's face this isn't much, there appears to be a premium on being "calm and neutral" at all times, and if you aren't that it automatically disqualifies you. It's a form of intelletual dishonesty.

It's not even worth combating, because anyone with a grasp on what is happening in the world can see the glaring incompetence and hostility the trump administration has taken to deal with this. Why on earth should anyone waste their time with folks who are arguing the equivalent of "the sky is green". It's a non-starter. It's a waste of time to try and change individuals opinions who don't get it to such a significant degree, and have a long track record of not getting it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Trump wasn't against the lockdown, and he didn't call the Coronavirus a hoax either.

Come fucking on.

From February 28, 2020

Trump says the coronavirus is Democrats''' new '''hoax'''

It is important to note, I don't think anyone had any idea how contagious this disease was till it was too late.

Washington Post: US intelligence warned Trump in January and February as he dismissed coronavirus threat - CNNPolitics
Coronavirus: Intelligence warned Trump of pandemic in January - Business Insider
AP FACT CHECK: Trump says he always knew virus was pandemic - ABC News

Your opinion isn't rare on this - there are all kinds of people that don't think US intelligence monitors things like pandemics as nations security risks but they do.

"The system was blinking red," one US official with access to the intelligence told The Post. Agencies "have been warning on this since January."

"Donald Trump may not have been expecting this, but a lot of other people in the government were — they just couldn't get him to do anything about it," the official added.

:shrug:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Giving out medical advice to forum members isn't the same thing as giving out 'medical disinformation.'

That's true. Medical disinformation is way worse. I would presume the reason for the prohibition on medical advice, though, stems from the potential that such information might actually be disinformation. Presumably, they wish to avoid disinformation since that can cause harm, including liability issues. It seems logical that the prohibition of medical disinformation is implicit in that policy. If this were not the case, I fail to understand the rationale for such a policy.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

Thank you, thank you, although I think you misunderstood about my message. I think I need to be a little more... Direct? Direct!

So, there is a famous doctor in Brazil here, because of TV shows... He mentioned in the end of January that everyone of the population should calm down about Corona, he said that everything was under control, no time for panicking, stuff like that...
Then, two weeks ago, Bolsonaro followers spread his message all over whatsapp, and part of the web, saying that doctor support Bolsonaro. The doctor had to go in the Social Media and TV to re-explain that the message was old and that the virus was underestimated. So far, perhaps it was an accident of the Bolsonaro followers? (1)

Then, two days later, they came with a message starting "What so, leftopats? WHO director is against quarantine" and with message they, on a very moralistic effort and showing how according to science they were, shared a fruitpicked (and a good one) of a director from WHO, something like that because I just ignored the message as usual. The lies are daily here and these messages arent worthy, you know?

Then, just another day, they were sharing some statistics comparing Corona deaths (that was a week ago? Or two I dont remember) with stuff like flu, etc.. vs the Corona, I think that was one of the massive whatsapp media campaign for "Brazil cant stop" which was against the quarantine (unofficially, of course), showing how much logically the decision of coming back was. (2) And one of the billionaires here, or two, used some statistic as well? And so one of them even said that it was ok few people dying, people just die anyway.. And then latter the president even mentioned: Death is just part of life. But getting back to the point, (a) the Corona is just a few months old while the other virus are here for some centuries, they are comparing data of 2-3 months old of something that is still growing exponentially while the other data is yearly with low growth, (2) biggest threat in statistics isnt the mortality rate, but the spread rate and the potential to overflow the country's hospital; But what happens in this case is that Brazil is a 3rd country, if even Italy and Spain, countries which got a relatively good health system, are not supporting, what do you think it is going to happen for a sector that is already 80-90% of capacity (private and public combined) when the 50-80% of the population get the virus, although only a fraction of these are going to need it? It is going to saturate and kill, if nothing happens. Thankfully, perhaps things slightly changed because a medication is soon to be coming? Hope that isnt fake news again.

So, the (1) that I marked in this way and (2) I marked in this way... Both have a very similar version here (none of them were you), and the side that spread them here, nationally (here, not there), are dishonest, which doesnt auto imply that the ones here are but makes things likely to be, and Im just trying to show you that, you know, perhaps, there is something wrong "around" you, you know? Because of... I think you get it. And from those "surroundings" I just feel you dont seem to fit, for some odd reason (no logical reason I admit), although people might treat you like you do.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Come fucking on.

From February 28, 2020

Trump says the coronavirus is Democrats''' new '''hoax'''

Washington Post: US intelligence warned Trump in January and February as he dismissed coronavirus threat - CNNPolitics
Coronavirus: Intelligence warned Trump of pandemic in January - Business Insider
AP FACT CHECK: Trump says he always knew virus was pandemic - ABC News

Your opinion isn't rare on this - there are all kinds of people that don't think US intelligence monitors things like pandemics as nations security risks but they do.

"The system was blinking red," one US official with access to the intelligence told The Post. Agencies "have been warning on this since January."

"Donald Trump may not have been expecting this, but a lot of other people in the government were — they just couldn't get him to do anything about it," the official added.

:shrug:

Saying "Hoax" doesn't mean he was calling the virus a hoax. Learn to read context. When he said "hoax" he was referring to how the media and Democrats were attacking him unfairly and blaming him, just like with Russia and Ukraine.

Everyone dismissed the virus at first. It was never about not knowing, it is whether or not this is serious enough to cripple the economy, and send millions into unemployment to stop. It isn't a dedicion to make lightly on a whim. This isn't a Trump exclusive either. Because China lied about how bad it was. Have some perspective. Trump was still among the first to close borders. And he was called racist for doing so, as Italy encouraged hugging Chinese tourists in the streets. Pelosi and the media was also stating it was "Just the flu bruh" while Trump was taking action against it. Trump could have done more extreme measures early on, but I 1000% guarantee the media and Democrats would have screamed fascism.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
⚠️ ⚠️ Caution. Disinformation detected. Please proceed with caution. ⚠️ ⚠️

This is actually a great exhibit of one of the many forms disinformation can take, and I'd argue this is one of the most insidious forms of it. Particularly because the individuals parroting in this way often doesn't even have awareness that they are engaging in disinformation. What is it? It's a mixture of outright falsehoods, casting a different interpretation of an event or notion wherein it no longer remains an accurate interpretation, and mixed with overt and subtext of "calm down, it's not so bad, and both/many sides are at fault". There is almost always this element of downplaying, which makes it particularly difficult to combat if you directly try to counter it, because a common tactic upon anyone calling "this is serious" or showing any sense of urgency is met with "you are over-reacting". While on it's face this isn't much, there appears to be a premium on being "calm and neutral" at all times, and if you aren't that it automatically disqualifies you. It's a form of intelletual dishonesty.

It's not even worth combating, because anyone with a grasp on what is happening in the world can see the glaring incompetence and hostility the trump administration has taken to deal with this. Why on earth should anyone waste their time with folks who are arguing the equivalent of "the sky is green". It's a non-starter. It's a waste of time to try and change individuals opinions who don't get it to such a significant degree, and have a long track record of not getting it.

So what did I say that was disinformation, break it down for me?