• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

World after Corona Virus

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
One article was made almost two weeks ago with some experts (in different areas) telling what they think the world will be after Corona outbreak, which will be basically the world in 2021 or 2022 after the vaccine:

The Coronavirus Pandemic Will Change the World Forever

Opinions about what the world is going to be are incredibly mixed.
In one side, there is hope that humanity will get better being with more solidarity with people thinking about the others.
In the other side, some people say about mass poverty, increase of inequality, and etc..

So, what are your opinions?
Or post any articles about it.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
*Takes a ticket to be redeemed probably tomorrow morning* Awesome thread. :D

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people in general will be more cognizant of germs, and may generally be better at washing their hands. I suspect many people and businesses will find that people working from home works better than they thought, so some people will continue to work from home. The economic effects will likely affect some people in a way that reminds me of my great grandparents, who were quite poor and tended to save everything. Some people will have difficulties adjusting from being without to having again, and won't be able to move easily from one mindset to other. I hope that it makes people in general more grateful for what they do have, and that it makes them treat each other better.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The only thing I'm sure of is that it will change the world. Permanently. And I do think mostly for the better.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
At beginning I had a strange feeling of excitement, which is not something that I have been feeling on these few last years. [MENTION=19700]Officer Ed Powell[/MENTION] felt the same. As I said, the world is having a big shake, and I really hope it turns out to be good. I really appreciate some changes after all.

I do have some hope that people get better in many terms, I hope for less greed in many dimensions and for more equal opportunities in the future. I do hope for decency.

But I really fear thats not really going to happen =/.

One positive thing is that after the crisis the irresponsible worship of the market is going to reduce. People might realize that the market isnt perfect, finally, and will start to turn eye for something different, not only for the government, but for something different than market or government. And people might stop with the fake meritocracy horrible thing where "everything is your fault because the system is perfect and if you are doing bad financially its because you suck, all or 80-90% of rich people are great and you are just a complainer".

The only thing I'm sure of is that it will change the world. Permanently. And I do think mostly for the better.

Why do you think its for better and not for worse?

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think there will be more working from home and homeschooling over the internet. Offices and schools are often hotspots for illness, and many parents want to spend more time with their kids but before it was not really an option.

á´…eparted

passages

If you would be so kind, can you please explain your thoughts as to why? I am really pessimistic about it and would very much like not to be. Recent events like what occurred in Hungary makes me very worried that more countries are going to slip into fascism - including the US - and it could lead to those entities (in some way) attacking others and the world, or allowing another superpower - most likely China - to become a far more influential leader which would be very very bad.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you would be so kind, can you please explain your thoughts as to why? I am really pessimistic about it and would very much like not to be. Recent events like what occurred in Hungary makes me very worried that more countries are going to slip into fascism - including the US - and it could lead to those entities (in some way) attacking others and the world, or allowing another superpower - most likely China - to become a far more influential leader which would be very very bad.

I can't speak for her but I think it bodes very well for making clear to the everyday person the need for an alternative to neoliberalism, as well as illustrating that such an alternative isn't as "impractical" as we've all been told it is. Suddenly a social safety net is something that we can't do without, for instance. The crisis also illustrates just how fragile "pragmatic neoliberalism" really is, for the folks for whom 2008 wasn't enough of a wakeup call. Obama squandered the opportunity (and Biden probably would as well), but I don't think this well always be the case with politicians.

As for influence on the world stage with regards to the U.S., I've read the writing on the wall for that for quite some time now. Given the abysmal failure of the Project for a New American Century, I've come to see it as inevitable. Given the fact that the Democrats are going to pick as their nominee fella who lined up behind all of that, I really don't see the decline of the U.S. empire as something that can be halted. But, it's not like empires are all the great anyway.

As for fascism, I think the way the crisis has been handled means that the authority of the federal government is weakened, not strengthened, which has both positive and negative aspects. Given the influence of undemocratic institutions at the federal level like the electoral college and the Senate, it may be a net positive.

Finally, the thing I'm most curious to see play out is how this affects the war on terror. Does the pandemic mean the end of the war on terror? It is conceivable that after this, pandemics, rather than terrorists, might become the new chief threat. The thing is, nobody will ciam you can fight a pandemic using the standby of the U.S. military, unless perhaps you count the Army Corps of Engineers. The implications of this have the potential to be huge.

I realize this sounds kind of cold and callous, but it is hard for me to turn off the part of my brain that analyzes the impact this will have. I know none of this does any good to anyone who is suffering from the pandemic, and it's definitely a tragedy. But, I can see a silver lining.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is your free trial apocalypse.
In the case you do not wish to renew the subscription you must personally cancel your carbon emissions. Otherwise your apocalypse subscription will become permanent.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Ok, and now more serious reply.

1. There will be a major shake-up in many countries, from democracies to dictatorship.

2. The arguments for available and affordable healthcare that can act at any time will become much more louder.

3. The sentiment towards globalization will see changes in a way that local will take a bigger role.

4. Internet will see further boost in replacing the communication/business in person.

5. Mass moving into rural areas is likely in many places around the world.

However all of that presumes that the pandemic ends in a good way. If the pandemic isn't stopped soon USA is at odds of a civil war or general social collapse. EU could see disintegration over a number of factors. If China has indeed solved the problem that other's can't it will gain huge geopolitical advantage. The drama in the third world that produces many resources could be massive if the pandemic goes completely out of control: wars, revolutions, refugees. Many problems can be forgotten since that is already the case after only a few weeks.

Therefore this can go either way purely depending on how the pandemic ends.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At the minimum I expect it change our shopping habits.

Otherwise, my hope is that it will expose how fragile our economic set up is and the need for a robust government response. I hope our country invests more in our healthcare system and providing a strong backbone for our citizens to draw upon because this is going to happen again.

But beyond that...I'm not really optimistic for much.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is your free trial apocalypse.
In the case you do not wish to renew the subscription you must personally cancel your carbon emissions. Otherwise your apocalypse subscription will become permanent.

Someone seriously needs to make this into a sign.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Italy’s future is in German hands

Just as the article says, this will be messy. However what typical North European doesn't fully understand is that if there is no real help that will be horrible in the terms of marketing. What means that the locals will lower the dependency on northern goods and service. Especially since they TULLY NEED to give more money into their own economy in order to pay all of this. What in the mix with coronavirus means huge cuts in the system as well as more radicals in politics on the North. I think that the North underestimates how much trade gains they have at the cost of the South. While this is the crisis that will define "new normal".

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I have a real problem with people throwing around the term "fascist" knowing very little on the subject. Could the US slip into fascism? Yes but that could have happened at any time. Is Trump a fascist? No, I doubt he even grasps what it is. But there are people very close to him that certainly do and that are creating policy and donors that very much want, at the least, an authoritarian president.

The GOP and most Dems are actually to blame here - they allow this to run unchecked because they all benefit from it. The ones that try to fight it are outgunned and they eventually give up to varying degrees. I want people to understand what actual fascism is, how it generally fails when democracy is strong and how the resistance to it have been with us all along. Everyone in the US should be inherently anti-fash, we fought a war against the ideology. Because why wouldn't you be?

Here are some positives:

There is a political uprising coming. COVID made it unstoppable. 6.6 million newly unemployed as of today. Bet against it at your own peril.

The de-militarization of American patriotism - More people will start to understand patriotism more as cultivating the health and life of your community, rather than blowing up someone else’s community. Perhaps (and I have already seen this) people will direct that - Thank you for your service - to doctors, nurses and health professionals that have been saving, not killing people.

A return of serious science and expertise - The US has become a fundamentally unserious country, mostly due to Trump and the MAGA movement being taken seriously and handed power and people actually thinking their opinion carries as much weight as expertise and knowledge on matters they have NO idea about. .Why does everyone know Dr. Fauci? Because he's an expert. Why are there death threats against Dr. Fauci? The same reason Trump is president.

Elections and voting - this will completely change. Online, mail, election "day" will now be election "month". This is already happening in many states, it will be national as people experience the convenience of early voting and/or voting by mail, they won’t want to give it up. More convenience will generate higher voter turnout, potentially transforming partisan competition in America.

A roll back of hyper-individualism - I think that a lot of people see that when this ends, the need will be to reorient our politics and make substantial new investments in public goods—for health, especially—and public services. You are watching in real time what happens when this is ignored.

Civic federalism - This is something I have been learning about and working towards for awhile. Civic federalism in which states and localities become centers of justice, solidarity and far-sighted democratic problem-solving. There are localities handling the pandemic better than others and often much better than the federal government.

Health care - A more efficient, far more resilient government approach will replace our failed, 40-year experiment with market-based incentives to meet essential health needs. Full stop. No one requires further explanation on this.

One idea I have heard about would be fantastic. Virtual congress. Congresspeople to return to their districts and start the process of virtual legislating—permanently. It's medically necessary at the moment but imagine - Lawmakers will be closer to the voters they represent and more likely to be sensitive to local perspectives and issues. As they should be. A virtual Congress is harder to lobby, as the endless parties and receptions that lobbyists throw in Washington will be harder to replicate across the whole nation.

It may also help solve a large problem - The House has not grown meaningfully in size since the 1920s, which means that a representative, on average, speaks for 770,000 constituents, rather than the 30,000 the Founding Fathers mandated. If we demonstrate that a virtual Congress can do its job as well or better using 21st-century technologies, rather than 18th-century ones, perhaps we could return the house to the 30,000:1 ratio George Washington prescribed.

I'm not saying these will happen the day after Covid is done. But most are going to be inevitable. Trauma always invokes change.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] when you discuss the fascism thing I couldn't help but think of my world history teacher from two semesters ago, when Trump was elected and Fascism was becoming the big buzz word to call anyone who was Trump, related to Trump, or otherwise was republican but may not even support Trump. He made a whole lecture on what Fascism truly was and why many of the people deemed fascist really are not fascist. He asked people to stop using it as a buzzword. Not every dictatorship is a fascist regime even. It is just people making an insult out of the term. Also in history Fascists have been both right and left in retrospect, so being a republican or a liberal doesn't make you a fascist necessarily. Let us not bring pejoratives into the conversation.

in a retrospect for everyone, I hope we make some positive changes from this entire thing.

[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]Also in history Fascists have been both right and left in retrospect, so being a republican or a liberal doesn't make you a fascist necessarily.

Just here to say that Republicans are liberals, too. But, there could be Left Republicans and Right Republicans. In general, Republicans try to conserve traditional enlightenment liberal values.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Just here to say that Republicans are liberals, too. But, there could be Left Republicans and Right Republicans. In general, Republicans try to conserve traditional enlightenment liberal values.

There could be and there use to be but not anymore. When did you last see one in the wild? Both parties are ideological coherent, Republicans especially.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
There could be and there use to be but not anymore. When did you last see one in the wild? Both parties are ideological coherent, Republicans especially.