breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default Coronavirus

The latest reports out of China are pretty bad. 40 million quarantined, people dying, doctors dying, etc. Confirmed cases already outside China.

We have had scares about viruses before (SARS, swine flu, bird flu, etc. so it didn't seem that big of deal.

This thread by an alleged scientist makes it a bigger deal.

Thread by @DrEricDing: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD - the new coronavirus is a 3.8!!! How bad is that reproductive R0 value? It is thermonuclear pandemic level bad - never s…

He compares it to Spanish Flu levels of death..... it allegedly has a RO of 3.8 (SARS was 1/7th as fast of reproducing).

I read elsewhere that seemingly healthy individuals can carry it and spread it, and that some victims showed zero symptoms before right before death.

Anyway, it should become a very major news item for while, so it is good to have a separate thread on it.
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so

I wouldnt be surprised if these kinds of things are attempts at population control.

Weep not poor children
    For life is this way
    Murdering beauty and passions

ESFP 4w3 7w8 9w8 sx/so
    Se>Fi>Si>Fe>Te>Ni=Ne>Ti

I like my town with a little drop of poison:
    Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane...

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

The cases outside of China are already confirmed. (USA included if I got it right)

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Coronavirus Live Updates: China Suspends Tours Abroad as Xi Warns of ‘Grave Situation’ - The New York Times

NY Times latest news page for coronavirus.

Xi calling meeting, China restricting tourist travel, US removing officials from Wuhan....
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

https://www.thelancet.com/pb-assets/...3620301549.pdf

New Lancet article just out on Friday on the topic
    ― George Orwell, 1984

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    The cases outside of China are already confirmed. (USA included if I got it right)
    Yes, NYT says, says "Australia, Malaysia, Nepal, Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, France and the United States."
    ― George Orwell, 1984

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised if these kinds of things are attempts at population control.

If I have to place bets like that I would sooner place them in "bio attack". Therefore if you want population control there are deadlier viruses out there and it would surely be good that they have long time between infection and seeing the disease fully manifest. So that more people get effected before any alarm.

I am actually kinda buying the story that this is simply the outcome of bad hygiene in certain parts of China. Not everything is a conspiracy.
    Likes The Cat, The Tsarevich, crustydemon liked this post

Senior Member Officer Ed Powell's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

So far lower death rate than SARS but that could change
    chaotic good.

fuck around and find out.

The world is coming to an end. Didn't you know?
    Pressure changes everything. Some people focus, others fold.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

If I have to place bets like that I would sooner place them in "bio attack". Therefore if you want population control there are deadlier viruses out there and it would surely be good that they have long time between infection and seeing the disease fully manifest. So that more people get effected before any alarm.

I am actually kinda buying the story that this is simply the outcome of bad hygiene in certain parts of China. Not everything is a conspiracy.
    Wuhan is where the chief Chinese bioweapons lab is located, so it is possible that something got out.

This is a very dangerous situation for Xi. Chinese believe strongly in the idea of a "Mandate from Heaven", the idea that good government has order and peace and when lots of plagues and rebellions and conflicts take place, the government has lost its divine protection and a new dynasty will come in.

If Xi manages this well, all will be fine, but between the economic downturn, Hong Kong, and the coronavirus, things might get risky. Xi and his government are extremely capable folks, perhaps the very best in the world, but it all could go down quickly if several millions die.
    ― George Orwell, 1984