• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Thought:

If one rejects Russian or Chinese vaccine does that technically make you anti-vaxxer of some sort ?

Well, you know, you guys on developed countries (although you should not be on that count) does get the better vaccines while the 3rd world got the worse ones. I wish to avoid the chinese because statistically it is the least efficient, that is not true about the russian one. I would wish a PFizer but I will probably get a chinese one sadly and risk to have post-COVID effects because the chinese ones only decreases 50% of chance of actually getting it (although it reduces the chances of you dying a lot more than that). I don't think that makes me an anti-vax and if I were on developed countries with choice I would not like to take it, but I will probably take it because it will be "either this or be vaccined 1-2 years later or nothing", which is sad =(.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Well, you know, you guys on developed countries (although you should not be on that count) does get the better vaccines while the 3rd world got the worse ones. I wish to avoid the chinese because statistically it is the least efficient, that is not true about the russian one. I would wish a PFizer but I will probably get a chinese one sadly and risk to have post-COVID effects because the chinese ones only decreases 50% of chance of actually getting it (although it reduces the chances of you dying a lot more than that). I don't think that makes me an anti-vax and if I were on developed countries with choice I would not like to take it, but I will probably take it because it will be "either this or be vaccined 1-2 years later or nothing", which is sad =(.

Well in this divide of the world I am kinda in not too well defined area (am basically one and a half worlder). I mean there are increasing chances that I will end up with the Russian one so that got me thinking. Plus if the pandemic is dying out even without mass vaccines and I am not vulnerable ... I will see. But just maybe skipping or waiting for different option may not be that bad idea.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well in this divide of the world I am kinda in not too well defined area (am basically one and a half worlder). I mean there are increasing chances that I will end up with the Russian one so that got me thinking. Plus if the pandemic is dying out even without mass vaccines and I am not vulnerable ... I will see. But just maybe skipping or waiting for different option may not be that bad idea.

Statistically speaking, even though the tests are lower, the Russian is a better one.
If it is a month or two of extra waiting, taking a better one is worth it... But if it is a year or two, then it might not.
And when it is government administered, for most governments we kind of do not choose... You know, they just say it is a COVID vaccine, take it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Statistically speaking, even though the tests are lower, the Russian is a better one.
If it is a month or two of extra waiting, taking a better one is worth it... But if it is a year or two, then it might not.
And when it is government administered, for most governments we kind of do not choose... You know, they just say it is a COVID vaccine, take it.

Well the problem with all the vaccines from the openly totalitarian countries is: are the doses you are taking identical to the ones on which the study was made.
Plus last year we ended the pandemic here, but we got it again from abroad. Therefore if all those countries around clean up their mess this year this could work for good (we have only 2000 active known cases). I mean here you can reject the vaccine if you don't trust the producer. In general I don't have a problem at all with the vaccines, but this "Russian miracle" that they are trying to export more than giving the locals is indeed kinda fishy offer. Here for months the media were slamming that vaccine and now since some CEOs mess up the continent's vaccine supply the Russian one is suddenly ok alternative.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well the problem with all the vaccines from the openly totalitarian countries is: are the doses you are taking identical to the ones on which the study was made.
Plus last year we ended the pandemic here, but we got it again from abroad. Therefore if all those countries around clean up their mess this year this could work for good (we have only 2000 active known cases). I mean here you can reject the vaccine if you don't trust the producer. In general I don't have a problem at all with the vaccines, but this "Russian miracle" that they are trying to export more than giving the locals is indeed kinda fishy offer. Here for months the media were slamming that vaccine and now since some CEOs mess up the continent's vaccine supply the Russian one is suddenly ok alternative.

Well, in my own case it is either that vaccine that has been offered or nothing and I am young so it is even going to take a while.

Vaccine is slow here, partially because there are some "good" bunch of psychopaths and narcissists here, bolsonaro included. Only about 2.5% of population has been vaccinated so far.

Jaguar

Mole

Permabanned
The headline in The Australian Newspaper is 500,000 Americans dead, while at the same time we are passing out of the shadow of the corona virus.

It is like a punch in the belly, it is a shock, it makes us angry and unbearably sad.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
‘Held to ransom’: Pfizer demands governments gamble with state assets to secure vaccine deal — The Bureau of Investigative Journalism

Pfizer has been accused of “bullying” Latin American governments in Covid vaccine negotiations and has asked some countries to put up sovereign assets, such as embassy buildings and military bases, as a guarantee against the cost of any future legal cases, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism can reveal.

In the case of one country, demands made by the pharmaceutical giant led to a three-month delay in a vaccine deal being agreed. For Argentina and Brazil, no national deals were agreed at all. Any hold-up in countries receiving vaccines means more people contracting Covid-19 and potentially dying.

Mole

Permabanned
The political Capital of a Continent, Canberra, is free of the virus, and I lead a normal life, while in the political Capital of the USA, the virus runs rampant.

Why is this?

This is because Canberra is based on authority, while Washington is based on freedom.

We chaff sometimes under authority, but medical authority has worked magnificently to keep us free from infection and death by the virus.

Jaguar

Moron alert:

Texas ends mask requirement, the largest state to do so, at critical moment in pandemic.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Things here are a disaster... Bolsonaro is buying the worst vaccines as possible, on the slowest pace as possible, with the highest amount of people out on the streets as possible (making his neolib minister and neolibs happy), with the least amount of masks as possible.

I am very likely going to be vaccined (really, this verb should exist in English) only at the end of the year or even next year, probably with a one of the worst ones available, thanks to this psychopath. I think I am going to change my profile to an introvert because I have been extra reclusive for a year and was already kind of reclusive on the other one, and I am probably going to be extra reclusive on the next one as well... Even for the non-social E/I definitions, stills pulls towards I.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Things here are a disaster... Bolsonaro is buying the worst vaccines as possible, on the slowest pace as possible, with the highest amount of people out on the streets as possible (making his neolib minister and neolibs happy), with the least amount of masks as possible.

I am very likely going to be vaccined (really, this verb should exist in English) only at the end of the year or even next year, probably with a one of the worst ones available, thanks to this psychopath. I think I am going to change my profile to an introvert because I have been extra reclusive for a year and was already kind of reclusive on the other one, and I am probably going to be extra reclusive on the next one as well... Even for the non-social E/I definitions, stills pulls towards I.

Well, my cards look kinda similar at this point. Especially since it is becoming obvious that we are going to start importing more vaccines of questionable and totalitarian producers at any moment (negotiations started). Since most of the better vaccines are going to the richest countries and there is no real desire to greatly boost the production. However it is possible that if I don't get a vaccine until the fall that I will not take it if it is from questionable source/government. Since by then the pandemic could be solved, since as a young and healthy person I am basically the last in line. Not to mention that our real counter to the pandemic is social distancing from day one (we once already ended the pandemic with that, but it came from abroad again). Therefore if someone plans to vaccinate me in 2022 that could just be too late to matter. Since most of the world or at least continent will be vaccinated by then. Since once you vaccinate the more vulnerable half of the population the whole thing should quickly start to quiet down if people and authorities are generally responsible. What is perhaps the main difference in our cards.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I received my first Pfizer vaccine dose yesterday. Next one auto-scheduled for 3/23. My parents (at least the two who aren't Q-Anon anti-vaxxers) have also received their first doses and will get their 2nd in a few weeks.

Feels good to be at this point after a year of life-changing measures. I (very likely) didn't get COVID before being vaccinated. I (very likely) didn't pass the disease onto vulnerable people. I'm grateful.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well, my cards look kinda similar at this point. Especially since it is becoming obvious that we are going to start importing more vaccines of questionable and totalitarian producers at any moment (negotiations started). Since most of the better vaccines are going to the richest countries and there is no real desire to greatly boost the production. However it is possible that if I don't get a vaccine until the fall that I will not take it if it is from questionable source/government. Since by then the pandemic could be solved, since as a young and healthy person I am basically the last in line. Not to mention that our real counter to the pandemic is social distancing from day one (we once already ended the pandemic with that, but it came from abroad again). Therefore if someone plans to vaccinate me in 2022 that could just be too late to matter. Since most of the world or at least continent will be vaccinated by then. Since once you vaccinate the more vulnerable half of the population the whole thing should quickly start to quiet down if people and authorities are generally responsible. What is perhaps the main difference in our cards.

My card is pure demoniac hell, for real. I will be in a place full of COVID, I will get the vaccine late and I will get the worse vaccines available. Thank you, Bolsonaro, and the neolibs and narcissists and psychopaths liars who helped him and joined his troop to make my own live more hellish.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My card is pure demoniac hell, for real. I will be in a place full of COVID, I will get the vaccine late and I will get the worse vaccines available. Thank you, Bolsonaro, and the neolibs and narcissists and psychopaths liars who helped him and joined his troop to make my own live more hellish.

Yeah, I admit. You have it worse than me.
I probably wouldn't get a vaccine soon but I have plenty of other benefit from the system and the landscape isn't full of virus.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
The opposite of a dead person is not a healthy person.

This x 1000.

Some post-Covid survivors are going to suffer lifelong medical issues, such as permanent scarring to their lungs. Chronic shortness of breath, medical oxygen, lung transplants. Younger people might not feel it until they start aging - but that means we get to deal with the fallout from this for decades as the population ages. A large portion of the survivors are going to burden the medical system for years. The percentage of the population facing these lifelong problems didn't need to be this high.

Not to mention the indirect effects this is going to have on other non-Covid medical issues in healthcare long-term. For example, a lot of people are avoiding screening procedures such as mammograms/colonoscopies, because who the fuck wants to walk into a hospital right now while you're healthy? A lot of people discover incidental cancers during routine care for unrelated minor medical problems. They aren't coming in for minor medical problems right now. The rates of the discovery of early stage cancers are significantly lower right now. Cancers that otherwise would have been discovered in stage 1-2 (and therefore have a good prognosis) aren't going to be picked up until they become much more severe - leading to much more expensive and physically taxing treatment, and much worse outcomes.

The ripples of medical expenses and tragedy caused by this pandemic are going to impact us for decades. In the only industrialized nation in the world without healthcare as a human right.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
How the Big Five Personality Traits Predicted COVID Shelter-in-Place Compliance

The study found that personality did predict sheltering-in-place compliance. All traits [Openness to Experience, Agreeableness, Conscientiousness, Neuroticism] were positively related to sheltering in place except extraversion, which was negatively related.

“These [extraverted] people need attention and will seek it,” Crossley said. “They will seek others and may take unnecessary risks to do it. They fear the depression they may encounter if they are away from others. If they have family or friends on lockdown with them it is a bit easier, but they need new experiences so it will be hard for them to keep a distance and not go hit up activities where they are close to others.”

There was also a positive relationship between policy stringency and sheltering in place. While there was little effect of conscientiousness, extraversion, and agreeableness, researchers found that openness and neuroticism had stronger effects on sheltering-in-place when the government had imposed less strict conditions and weaker effects when there were stricter guidelines in place.

“The defining characteristics of openness and neuroticism may suggest that individuals scoring higher on these traits may have started sheltering-in-place before it was mandated by governmental policy.

Put differently, there appear to be good reasons to assume that openness and neuroticism may have been relevant in the very beginning of the pandemic but decreased in importance once governmental intervention transformed the adoption of such behaviors from largely individual decisions to all-encompassing social norms,” as written in the study.

(...)

Overall, policy stringency and personality had similar or greater effects on compliance than age, gender, income, education, personal health, and perceived/anticipated COVID-19 severity. While the differences were particularly small, when added up they can really matter.