• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Some will probably not like me for this but I am just going to say what is on my mind.

Situations like this one are possibly the main reason why I think the government should be heavily involved into curing it's own people and why market just isn't the right tool here. As I said: in the endgame healthcare comes down to national security and that is just how it is. On other hand only the government of people has the potential and resources to truly handle this kind of crisis when they hit. I am perfectly aware that this is warzone mentality talking out of me but I just can't help myself. Life isn't fair or really predictable so everyone should be able to have their health protected as much as possible. What requires strategy, prevention and determination on so big scale that genuine market can't really provide it without becoming government. If someone has this kind of virus are you just going to say to the person that they have no coverage and let them lose into the general population if they are broke !?

....the problem is that it’s incurable ( so far) not that people are being refused a cure.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC from history and biology classes most worldwide epidemics of the last millenium eventually started out in China. A question of a huge country with lots of people living in close proximity with farm animals and having access to trade routes, etc. Not really that unusual or surprising for something to start there. Also, I am not aware of the US-China trade war leading to any serious supply issues let alone nutrition issues. This isn't North Korea in the nineties, you know. They produce their own food and trade with just about everyone around the world.

Well, add it to the list of things you are not aware of.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
....the problem is that it’s incurable ( so far) not that people are being refused a cure.

You are judging at face value and too much on the specific case. While exactly because it is incurable you need government involvement to have some kind of back up and barriers.
The thing is that this kind of situation can happen with something that is curable or becomes curable and then you will hit the wall if everything is on purely private insurance basis. However it isn't even that simple because in a fully structured countries there are mechanisms that can prevent this altogether. Supposedly this and similar situations came out of bad hygiene at local markets but structure allows you to have medical department that controls that this kinds of toxic markets do not exist and that cleaner conditions must be met. Plus they have direct link to law enforcement that can make sure things are actually enforced, what a business can't really have. My own government blocks almost all food imports from USA exactly because there is no guarantees that this is safe to eat, plus GM food is banned by the law. Big business are trying to find a way around this but the people just don't allow it, since placing money and market here first is a wrong way to do it. Especially if various different social classes will eat different foods, what then can be used as a leverage to end social medicine.

While on the other hand even if this happens you need to have hospitals that are at any time ready to receive these kinds of incurable patients in some quarantined section that is on standby. Regardless of how much money those people have or is the thing even curable, what fundamentally isn't really profitable. Plus you need some kind of office that tracks this kinds of things globally and in local forests, ponds, farms etc. Today world is very interconnected and even within countries this kinds of stuff can spread very fast if you don't pay attention.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Correct me if I'm wrong but IIRC from history and biology classes most worldwide epidemics of the last millenium eventually started out in China. A question of a huge country with lots of people living in close proximity with farm animals and having access to trade routes, etc. Not really that unusual or surprising for something to start there. Also, I am not aware of the US-China trade war leading to any serious supply issues let alone nutrition issues. This isn't North Korea in the nineties, you know. They produce their own food and trade with just about everyone around the world.

I work in supply chain. The tariffs have affected our business and supply chain

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I work in supply chain. The tariffs have affected our business and supply chain

No doubt. What I'm saying is that the Chinese population is not starving because of the trade dispute (as seems to have been suggested by another member here).

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No doubt. What I'm saying is that the Chinese population is not starving because of the trade dispute (as seems to have been suggested by another member here).

Huh. This is the first post I see with the word "starving" in it. So, I guess it was you.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Huh. This is the first post I see with the word "starving" in it. So, I guess it was you.

Then we must have been talking at cross purposes. I read your post as claiming the trade war had caused deprivation and changes in diet that were indirectly responsible for the outbreak. Thus my quib about Fox news. Misunderstanding then. Happens when you don't get enough sleep. .

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes. I was responding to your opinion on the trade war leading to serious supply issues, not starvation. I’m not qualified to speak on the the latter. Apologies for not being more specific.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's like a lunatic rushing the cockpit of a plane and intentionally crashing it into the ground. MAGA!

His fans want him to "shake things up". I guess a planecrash counts as a shake.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It seems that world health organization decided to take a more active approach, while many countries are placing "barriers" on their borders. Judging by my local media the main problem is scenario where virus manages to "escape" into the countries with bad healthcare system. Because that will make it impossible to fully control, in a way this is exactly what happened with HIV.

Jaguar

It seems that world health organization decided to take a more active approach, while many countries are placing "barriers" on their borders. Judging by my local media the main problem is scenario where virus manages to "escape" into the countries with bad healthcare system. Because that will make it impossible to fully control, in a way this is exactly what happened with HIV.

Do not get me going on Reagan and HIV.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finding out my current city might be infected, and I currently have the beginnings of a flu. As I frequently get bronchitis this time of year. But if this shit is corona virus, it was nice knowing you all. I may have a good immune system, but my lungs are absolute shit. I will die if I actually contracted this crap.

Jaguar

Finding out my current city might be infected, and I currently have the beginnings of a flu. As I frequently get bronchitis this time of year. But if this shit is corona virus, it was nice knowing you all. I may have a good immune system, but my lungs are absolute shit. I will die if I actually contracted this crap.

There are cases of infected individuals but not entire cities. Less drama and more rest will serve you well.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are cases of infected individuals but not entire cities. Less drama and more rest will serve you well.

The place I am referring to is Wright-state university. I live very close to it. There are many Chinese factories in my town (Like Fuyao), which I attend therapy right next to. With the two week incubation and spread cycle, it is quite possible. On a good side, its just bronchitis again, on a bad side. I could possibly face death. Both are shit regardless.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'll just be over here with my respiratory infection still not reading any of this anywhere.
*sips wine*
Mmm... poorly timed dehydration.......
*smacks lips*

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
The place I am referring to is Wright-state university. I live very close to it. There are many Chinese factories in my town (Like Fuyao), which I attend therapy right next to. With the two week incubation and spread cycle, it is quite possible. On a good side, its just bronchitis again, on a bad side. I could possibly face death. Both are shit regardless.

Eh, just pull up your boostraps and you’ll be fine. ;)

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh, just pull up your boostraps and you’ll be fine. ;)

It is possible. Hopefully my immune system is strong enough to defeat such a thing. Since I do not often get sick to begin with.