• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Over here they are expecting massive staff fallout in basically all industries due to omicron.

As for quarantine, the duration depends on the virus variant. If you are fully vaccinated and show no symptoms, you only have to quarantine for beta, gamma and omicron. The duration is either 10 days without a test or 5 days with a negative pcr test or 7 days with a negative antigen test.

Masks are a non-issue because they are compulsory nationwide anyway (actually all over the continent, as far as I know).

Which leads m to my initial reaction to the rules you posted:

HOW COME YOU GUYS STILL DON'T HAVE A NATIONAL MASK MANDATE???

will_poulter.PNG

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
UK + 129 400
France + 179 800
Italy + 78 300

This is going to be fun.
Today we are clearly going over a million in a day globally.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Over here they are expecting massive staff fallout in basically all industries due to omicron.

As for quarantine, the duration depends on the virus variant. If you are fully vaccinated and show no symptoms, you only have to quarantine for beta, gamma and omicron. The duration is either 10 days without a test or 5 days with a negative pcr test or 7 days with a negative antigen test.

Masks are a non-issue because they are compulsory nationwide anyway (actually all over the continent, as far as I know).

Which leads m to my initial reaction to the rules you posted:

HOW COME YOU GUYS STILL DON'T HAVE A NATIONAL MASK MANDATE???

will_poulter.PNG

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Here we are
World: +1 070 000
Plus there will be a few more hundred thousands before the end of the day.
Btw. this could be the worst day on the record for the US.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
With adding of some numbers the previous US record has fallen already on 24th.
However now there is a tie with new record and there are still some states to count. So the record will fall again today.

Edit: 10 seconds later: new record it is

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I never thought that I will say something like this but lately I got hooked up on Indian right wing news (on English). I mean it is interesting since you get out of the bubble of first world media. Plus I must say I like how straight forward this is in a number of global issues as the channel.

Therefore this makes a decent closing thought of 2021.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Red states: The federal government doesn't have the consitutional authority to place vaccine mandates on private business!

Also red states: Biden isn't doing anything to help with our surging covid numbers!
I was using that article to illustrate why there is no national mask mandate but yeah...this too.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Today the incoming numbers are visibly worse than yesterday. What means that this wasn't anomaly but just "the newest normal".

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Worldwide cases are spiking due to new year celebrations worldwide! Although in my country, it is still low... "Theoretically" (its not like this country do much COVID tests anyway...).

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
After 2 years of dodging Rona, I contracted Omicron, it has been mild so far i still have a nagging cough. I was one week away from my booster time frame but I consider myself boosted now. I wont be getting any more vaccines or boosters at this time.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I've been away from this thread for some time because life has been busy, but also because I (and my immediate family) had what was likely Delta in October. It was annoying enough that I found no joy in posting about it. :laugh: I missed about 2-3 scattered days of work even though I already work from home, mostly so that I could get some rest (sleeping about 12-16 hours per day). It was similar in impact to handful of severe influenza infections I've had, but it didn't come close to the viral pneumonia I had in my early 20's.

Anyway, I wanted to post this because I think it's a good summary of why we're quite possibly at a good point in the pandemic with the latest Omicron variant.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Daily new cases are highest than ever on Worldmeter globally.

I hope the vaccines work well at least holding the deaths a bit.

If the virus actually keep mutating in ways to turn out to make useless most of our measures, then we may live with full hospitals and death and maybe another crisis on this whole decade, but I hope that doesn't happen.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it came from a lab, then it was designed to keep mutating and to maximize any effects of "long COVID" on the infected, even after the recovery from the so-called flu stage of infection. You'd think Trumpies, who, at the start of this thing, were more likely to spout the conspiracy theories suggesting COVID is human-made, would thus recognize that this is anything but another simple flu and approach it as a deadly, unpredictable contagion. But ya know.

This is likely far from over. Those who want it to end the most are among the people allowing it to thrive. But ya know.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is one theory with research that proposes that Omicron developed independently from the original Wuhan strain in the mice population in Africa. I know Stanford is also doing research that it developed in immunocompromised human populations in Africa, likely connected to the HIV epidemic there. I don't have any personal conclusions, but it is just interesting.

mice population theory

immunocompromized human population theory

Also, hospitalizations have broken previous records in the U.S., with much higher proportion than what happened in South Africa or the U.K. It is making me wonder if Omicron is slightly mutated here. Some propose that the U.S. has more comorbidities, which could be true, but then hospitalizations should have been higher throughout the pandemic.