• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to quell overpopulation?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Migration. You may have heard that some places are very densely populated but others aren't so. The idea of migration is to move people from the former to the latter.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Bumping this thread because we just had a really cool discussion about it on Discord.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, this tends to iron itself out every so often. We're overdue for a pandemic or some other natural disaster that will kill off a good chunk of people, thereby ameliorating the strain humans are currently placing on the environment. Maybe an especially nasty strain of influenza will kill off millions. I don't really want this, and I'd hate to die from influenza or some creeping crud unearthed by the destruction of the amazon rainforests, but c'est la vie.

oops

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Hmm... More gays/lesbians/LGBTs = less reproduction, it does work.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Release a new virus, or wait for a naturally occurring new virus, start a global pandemic by keeping international travel open from the origin point, then get everyone worked up about feeling that taking precautions to stop the spread of the virus is an infringement on their human rights, get them to go to large rallies shouting and breathing heavily on each other just before flu season, continue to stir them up into a frenzy over taking any precautions whatsoever to stop the spread of the virus. Voila! Problem solved.

Alien overlords, you are on this. Sir, your job is done, prepare to beam up...

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It has all been on our minds, but what are the reasonable solutions?

I for one, think allowing natural selection take place is among the top solutions to over-population. Now I am not talking about letting everyone die that cannot defend themselves, but allowing peoples who cannot adapt, to survive without interference. Whether through political or spiritual reasons.

Darwin is always right at some point, but that doesn't mean only the "toughest" people will survive or something.

While people are individuals who usually seek survival/thriving, they mostly aren't absolutely isolated because of their social bonds.

People will use their bonds for protection, and some are more protected than others.
I mean, that tough guy on the street is probably way more vulnerable (i.e. has more probability to be killed) than that thin-looking CEO (either because he lives in a less criminally-exposed neighborhood, or because he has a lot of "tough guys" who work as his security guards).

My wife is more tough-looking than me (we're both "aggressive" types but she's "tough" while I'm not). She could use her fists and send me to hospital in 10 seconds. But she still needs her family bonds for financial reasons, because if she becomes homeless her fists won't help her to live. And she does need some pushy guy to enforce a decent management of her diabetes.

It's possible and probably desirable for a state to provide vulnerable people an imperfect protection, and it is essentially a social bond like others. But at some point doing it perfectly is impossible for economic and biological reasons. Anyway everyone is going to be "unselected" at some point, no exceptions. And overpupulation might just mean that on average people will be unselected earlier ; for some people it's you die now, for less vulnerable people it's you die 10 years before previously expected, etc.

My solution is : everyone has to be prepared mentally for everything tragic, especially death, because they really are going to happen. Death is absolutely unescapable. And, I think my solution is extremely cheap, and doesn't need to be tied with one religion.

Jaguar

I feel like the world would fall apart without republicans. As soon as any democrat got their first flat tire, they'd just have to park it where it was and walk from then on out.

Call AAA. It's what membership covers.