• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to quell overpopulation?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bread and circuses...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That seems like some hate speech right there. It would be like someone suggesting that food stamp recipients all automatically being enrolled in the Hunger Games.

It was a joke based on the fact that I always see Republicans toss around this kind of thing. Perhaps they'll realize why it's a bad idea if someone throws out the idea that they might directly be affected by it (they usually assume "somebody else" would be subject to the restrictions, and this is how they are able to reconcile such statements with claims to be in favor of personal liberty).

I thought everyone could handle the un-PC humor.

rav3n

Wow.. I don't remember making this thread at all.

This graph is misleading, as the only countries with declining fertility rates are usually western countries, and some first world Asian ones. You got people in Africa having 7 kids on average.

This can mean eventually foreign aide cannot keep up with Africa, due to the lack of being able to produce enough resources to counter their famines and everyone dies out. So essentially, it can all work out.
It's interesting when these two quotes are put together.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
We're not using enough insects as a protein source for farm animals. Indoor aquaponics could also free up lots of farm land for development. This is a technology problem, not a social engineering problem. We have the technology to build large cruise ships that can sail around for decades.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's interesting when these two quotes are put together.

Well yeah, because I was black out drunk when I posted it after binge watching BBC documentaries probably. (As I tend to do that while drinking). And noz the information I just gave you was from the article you posted. With a twig of pessimistic sarcasm. Even if I posted this while inebriated, no point in letting it go to waste. :shrug:

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're not using enough insects as a protein source for farm animals. Indoor aquaponics could also free up lots of farm land for development. This is a technology problem, not a social engineering problem. We have the technology to build large cruise ships that can sail around for decades.

Pretty sure insect eating is a ploy by capitalist oligarchs to make money off of global warming schemes, just like electric cars. No one eats insects willingly, and the countries that do, do it because they are too poor to eat better things.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Colonize Mars? That's good in the short term (by short term I mean next few hundred years). However, suppose Mars is hit by a deadly asteroid? We need to be building generational ships and sending them out in multiple directions to increase the species' chances of survival. In the short term, there's also at least one moon of Jupiter outside of its deadly radiation zone that could be a good location for a colony.

Some critics of the idea of generational ships argue that by the time they ever reach habitable planets, we'll have already developed Alcubierre warp drive (theoretical physicists are already working on this) and can go to those planets before the generational ships make it. However, we don't even know if warp drive is actually possible, and if it is possible, we don't yet know if we have the capability of harnessing the high levels of energy required to make it work. So why not send the generational ships in the meantime? We have the technology for this, it's just a matter of multiple nations putting aside concerns over the high costs and working together to make it a reality.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Well yeah, because I was black out drunk when I posted it after binge watching BBC documentaries probably. (As I tend to do that while drinking). And noz the information I just gave you was from the article you posted. With a twig of pessimistic sarcasm. Even if I posted this while inebriated, no point in letting it go to waste. :shrug:

Are you sure?
P1GNMaWpSWRawAIXm9VE_o9jkhlGOApDodxI69DLEIk.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, this tends to iron itself out every so often. We're overdue for a pandemic or some other natural disaster that will kill off a good chunk of people, thereby ameliorating the strain humans are currently placing on the environment. Maybe an especially nasty strain of influenza will kill off millions. I don't really want this, and I'd hate to die from influenza or some creeping crud unearthed by the destruction of the amazon rainforests, but c'est la vie.

Maybe we should kill all the incels. I'm half-joking. We haven't had a large scale war in a while, and those usually cut down on the male population. Incels are a byproduct of the incompleted sexual revolution and modern warfare, which is prolonged but hasn't seen the death tolls quite as high as those of previous wars. I blame nuclear weapons. The threat of total annihilation has prevented nations from entering into full out wars.

Not that I really like war, but unfortunately it seems to be in our nature.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Anyway, this tends to iron itself out every so often. We're overdue for a pandemic or some other natural disaster that will kill off a good chunk of people, thereby ameliorating the strain humans are currently placing on the environment.

Yeah I think it's already on the way. Climate related displacement and extinction is already happening, it's been happening for some time in the animal and insect kingdom. Add the diseases that always follows upheaval and war (cholera, dysentery, malaria (already happened to troops in Afghanistan), eosinophilic pneumonia (already happened to troops in Iraq). The plague rears up relatively frequently and there is only about a 12 hr. window of time to start antibiotics.

Influenza is another safe bet, last one killed 20-50 million. Of course I mean worldwide, apparently some require that clarification, as if a pandemic is pointless and harmless if it's happening beyond the US.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you sure?
P1GNMaWpSWRawAIXm9VE_o9jkhlGOApDodxI69DLEIk.jpg

I think its interesting on what other people think should be removed from the equation. You began to quickly realize where their priorities lie. Like, what is actually affecting the enviroment in their eyes. But like with everything, ultimately its futile to try and outmaneuver nature. It is designed to stop overpopulation in one way or the other.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think its interesting on what other people think should be removed from the equation. You began to quickly realize where their priorities lie. Like, what is actually affecting the enviroment in their eyes. But like with everything, ultimately its futile to try and outmaneuver nature. It is designed to stop overpopulation in one way or the other.

Pretty sure you're not accounting for the admittance of blacked out drunk posting being the key reason for the question you quoted and nothing at all about overpopulation.

The Cat

Staff member
Pretty sure you're not accounting for the admittance of blacked out drunk posting being the key reason for the question you quoted and nothing at all about overpopulation.

She remembered the the five Ds of debate. Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge. Or is that dodge ball? Who can tell the difference these days?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't quite remember why I posted this thread yes. But I am 100% sure, due to investigating my actions the night before. It was due to BBC's "Our planet", because I brought it up in Discord that night very drunkenly. But the thread was already posted (found out in the morning) and I had no idea what to do, but well answer again and I did. I legit have no idea what you mean, and I am confused. I was trying to make the best of the disaster that is this thread, but it went in directions I should have forseen.

It might suprise you, but I care a lot about the enviroment. I do think humans have over populated, and there is no discourse on it because of the unethical implications it causes. I am surprised most people didn't make more joking posts.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm. I think because it's not funny.

I apologize if my drunken shenanigans and dark sense of humor offends you, but I believe everything is fair game. Because humor is one of the few things that can keep you sane in your darkest times. I do not understand why left leaning people are so "No fun allowed", no wonder you lot always seem miserable. You'd be surprised how quickly people bond over humor, in comparison to other social mechanics like "visibility". It can heal a lot of things, even if it can be seen as "offensive". Because the ingroup people tell themselves the same jokes. It seems exclusive and segratory to not allow the sharing of dark humor in outgroups too, to laugh at one's troubles. Instead of treating everything like Voldemort. "Fear of the name, increases fear of the thing itself."

Acceptable if you do not accept my viewpoint. That is just how I feel about it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I apologize if my drunken shenanigans and dark sense of humor offends you, but I believe everything is fair game. Because humor is one of the few things that can keep you sane in your darkest times. I do not understand why left leaning people are so "No fun allowed", no wonder you lot always seem miserable. You'd be surprised how quickly people bond over humor, in comparison to other social mechanics like "visibility". It can heal a lot of things, even if it can be seen as "offensive". Because the ingroup people tell themselves the same jokes. It seems exclusive and segratory to not allow the sharing of dark humor in outgroups too, to laugh at one's troubles. Instead of treating everything like Voldemort. "Fear of the name, increases fear of the thing itself."

Acceptable if you do not accept my viewpoint. That is just how I feel about it.

lol It doesn't offend me. You certainly have a great deal to say about "left leaning people" and I'm betting you know a lot of liberals and very few, if any, leftists. You should meet some, we are very fun people.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol It doesn't offend me. You certainly have a great deal to say about "left leaning people" and I'm betting you know a lot of liberals and very few, if any, leftists. You should meet some, we are very fun people.

All my experiences with Liberals have been extremly negative, even without bringing up my view points. They are often very hateful, and judgemental in my experiences, and intolerant of any variation of mindset. Even on this website, I was met quite early with hatred and intolerance. While maybe many are not that bad, and few gave me 2nd chances... When it comes to general desicions, I avoid them, purely due to the toxicity of being around many of them. I judge people on an individual basis, while learning patterns of ingroup mindsets. You cannot tell me that its not uncommon.

But any Liberal who has been respectful towards me, has earned my respect. Like Coriolis, I greatly respect her.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
All my experiences with Liberals have been extremly negative, even without bringing up my view points. They are often very hateful, and judgemental in my experiences, and intolerant of any variation of mindset. Even on this website, I was met quite early with hatred and intolerance. While maybe many are not that bad, and few gave me 2nd chances... When it comes to general desicions, I avoid them, purely due to the toxicity of being around many of them. I judge people on an individual basis, while learning patterns of ingroup mindsets. You cannot tell me that its not uncommon.

But any Liberal who has been respectful towards me, has earned my respect. Like Coriolis, I greatly respect her.

Where am I telling you it's uncommon? I drag liberals and conservatives almost equally - they both represent shooting for the lowest results. Conservatives also want a nanny state just as much as liberals, only the topics differ.

But you make it sound as if all the criticism you receive is completely unwarranted and unearned - that's what is most annoying. Telling you that is also not disrespectful, regardless of what you believe - I know many conservatives and their perception of the level of respect they are receiving from others, is the most common complaint among them. The accuracy of that perception is not relevant.

The Cat

Staff member
So whom is owed respect first? Do you offer respect and expect to garner respect or if none of your looked for respect is forthcoming, do you simply deign to not respect others as you feel others did not respect you?