• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"The USPTO wants to know if artificial intelligence can own the content it creates"

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"The USPTO wants to know if artificial intelligence can own the content it creates"

The USPTO wants to know if artificial intelligence can own the content it creates

The US office responsible for patents and trademarks is trying to figure out how AI might call for changes to copyright law, and it’s asking the public for opinions on the topic. Comments from the public should be submitted before or on December 16, 2019. Here's a link to the public notice in the Federal Register.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (‘‘USPTO’’) is gathering information about the impact of artificial intelligence (‘‘AI’’) technologies on intellectual property law and policy. To assist in gathering this information, on August 27, 2019, the USPTO published questions related to the impact of artificial intelligence inventions on patent law and policy and asked the public for written comments. Those questions cover a variety of topics, including whether revisions to intellectual property protection are needed. The present notice extends this inquiry to copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights impacted by AI.

I thought y'all might find this interesting! What do you think?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Interesting. I have a cousin that is a patent lawyer, she works for Yeti. She told me that AI and intellectual property law take up most of her time now where, even 5 years ago there was very little. She also thinks the country as a whole is way behind on this subject. It's going to take more conversations but my initial feeling is even without any human involvement, there should be US copyright measures.

These topics always make me think of Son of Anton so I read it in Gilfoyle's voice.

Nicodemus

I think the very concept of intellectual property will become increasingly difficult to maintain as we move deeper into the digital age. Once quantum computing enters into wide usage, everything we do with computers will change, including all modes of content production. An AI using quantum computing could re-write 'War and Peace' and turn it into a unique piece of art in a second.

I am certain this will be the strangest century in human history. I would be surprised if democracy were to survive it.