User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Default Random history thread

Since it is generally overlooked that this sub-forum contains History as a topic subject while most of history doesn't generate large and round up threads I will open random history thread. Where all of it should just pile up.

Therefore for the start here is something that I find worth watching (I watched the whole thing). Actually over the years I have enjoyed quite a number of war map reconstructions that make it much more interesting than classic history books. Which is because the strategic dynamic of the war is so much easier to observe.

Lt Bligh wasn't a bad Captain, he just had a lot of factors working against him on the Breadfruit mission.

Captain cook didn't make it to the rank of captain until 4 years before his death. It wasn't uncommon for Lieutenants to command ships in the Royal Navy. Captain was a title they were referred to by regardless of actual rank. The term "Post-Captain" would be used to refer to Captains who actually held the rank and had received a post.

In the modern US Navy, it might not be uncommon for larger vessels such as aircraft carriers to have multiple officers with the rank of captain, although only one would the commanding officer. So if the doctor holds the rank of Captain, that doesn't mean he can just walk on to the bridge and start barking new orders at the crew. In some of the Star Trek movies, there are 3 captains on board--Kirk, Scotty and Spock, however Kirk would be the executive.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    - None

I don't get the reason why Hitler attacked The Soviet Union in WW2 by launching operation Barbarossa. There were allied when invading Poland. To me what Hitler did is like disloyalty to Germany's own comrades, which eventually led to their own downfall.

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

I can only presume this is correct.

Had the American colonies remained a part of the British empire, I think some of the worst chapters of American history might have been avoided, or been less severe.

For that matter, American independence was never a given. We could have easily swayed the other way. There were a good many people who would have preferred to remain subject to the crown, and American victory was never an inevitable but rather a marrow possibility. It’s actually somewhat a miracle we were able to win the revolution

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by typologyenthusiast View Post
    I don't get the reason why Hitler attacked The Soviet Union in WW2 by launching operation Barbarossa. There were allied when invading Poland. To me what Hitler did is like disloyalty to Germany's own comrades, which eventually led to their own downfall.
    They never were allies, though. It was a pact of (temporary) non-agression. They were both totalitarian systems but the two countries followed competing ideologies - and had competing geostrategical ambitions. The conflict was a question of time. After all the communists were right up there with the Jews on the nazi kill list. They arrested and killed leftists even before they arrested and killed Jews. So there was an ideological and a geostrategical motive for the invasion. From what I can gather, historians disagree on when exactly the decision was made and how much of it was the implememtation of a plan hetched in 1925 vs a tatical move due to the development of the war at the time of the invasion.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Had the American colonies remained a part of the British empire, I think some of the worst chapters of American history might have been avoided, or been less severe.
    In that case the whole history would go into some different path. Not to mention that buying plenty of land from France probably would not happen. What would have severe consequences in how situation is developing on the long run.

No World War I or if so it may happen later.

Does Napoleon still come to power?

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Stalin was preparing to invade German territory when Hitler attacked. Decades ago, just after the end of the Cold War, I attended a lecture by a member of the Soviet general staff, who had fought in WW2 as a young man (including at Kursk). Afterwards we talked for several hours.

He told me he found the plans to attack the Germans in '42. The Soviet troops only had maps of German territory, so their retreat was worse due to lack of maps. I later read of this from other sources, as well. Stalin had planned to attack Hitler a week later.
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays