• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random history thread

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Since it is generally overlooked that this sub-forum contains History as a topic subject while most of history doesn't generate large and round up threads I will open random history thread. Where all of it should just pile up.

Therefore for the start here is something that I find worth watching (I watched the whole thing). Actually over the years I have enjoyed quite a number of war map reconstructions that make it much more interesting than classic history books. Which is because the strategic dynamic of the war is so much easier to observe.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
I don't get the reason why Hitler attacked The Soviet Union in WW2 by launching operation Barbarossa. There were allied when invading Poland. To me what Hitler did is like disloyalty to Germany's own comrades, which eventually led to their own downfall.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get the reason why Hitler attacked The Soviet Union in WW2 by launching operation Barbarossa. There were allied when invading Poland. To me what Hitler did is like disloyalty to Germany's own comrades, which eventually led to their own downfall.

They never were allies, though. It was a pact of (temporary) non-agression. They were both totalitarian systems but the two countries followed competing ideologies - and had competing geostrategical ambitions. The conflict was a question of time. After all the communists were right up there with the Jews on the nazi kill list. They arrested and killed leftists even before they arrested and killed Jews. So there was an ideological and a geostrategical motive for the invasion. From what I can gather, historians disagree on when exactly the decision was made and how much of it was the implememtation of a plan hetched in 1925 vs a tatical move due to the development of the war at the time of the invasion.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Had the American colonies remained a part of the British empire, I think some of the worst chapters of American history might have been avoided, or been less severe.

In that case the whole history would go into some different path. Not to mention that buying plenty of land from France probably would not happen. What would have severe consequences in how situation is developing on the long run.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Stalin was preparing to invade German territory when Hitler attacked. Decades ago, just after the end of the Cold War, I attended a lecture by a member of the Soviet general staff, who had fought in WW2 as a young man (including at Kursk). Afterwards we talked for several hours.

He told me he found the plans to attack the Germans in '42. The Soviet troops only had maps of German territory, so their retreat was worse due to lack of maps. I later read of this from other sources, as well. Stalin had planned to attack Hitler a week later.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No World War I or if so it may happen later.

Does Napoleon still come to power?

The French Revolution likely would have happened anyway. The biggest impact of the American Revolution on France was the huge debt incurred by France to support the colonies. Given the ongoing Anglo- French rivalry, they might have incurred this anyway.

The French monarchy was likely heading to failure, due to many factors. The cause of the French Revolution is still a very debatable topic among scholars, with numerous theories.

So, yes to Nappy and WWI, and yes to Marx, etc.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
At the early stage of cold war, we should remember that there was an initiative not to join either side: eastern bloc and western bloc. It is important to remind us the history of this especially at this moment when military conflict breaks up in Ukraine and NATO, a military alliance established in cold war and a proxy war waged by NATO alliance againts Russia. Although it is doubtful whether the eastern bloc still exists until now, as most of Warsaw Pact members have joined NATO. Therefore, arguably Russia is without their cold war Allies now, but the cold war style era proxy war still happens. NATO allies don't get direct involvement in the military conflict with an excuse of not wanting to provoke WW3 but provide support both financial, and military, which the main characteristics of proxy war.
Lets get back to the history of non alignment pact history.

I also want to raise the question is this non allignment pact still applies? I raise the question since Yugoslavia, one of the initiator has become many countries, and some of which are already member of NATO: Croatia, North Macedonia, Slovenia, Montenegro. Although some members has de facto left, no more become a neutral countries, some perhaps still loyal to this pact?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At the early stage of cold war, we should remember that there was an initiative not to join either side: eastern bloc and western bloc. It is important to remind us the history of this especially at this moment when military conflict breaks up in Ukraine and NATO, a military alliance established in cold war and a proxy war waged by NATO alliance againts Russia. Although it is doubtful whether the eastern bloc still exists until now, as most of Warsaw Pact members have joined NATO. Therefore, arguably Russia is without their cold war Allies now, but the cold war style era proxy war still happens. NATO allies don't get direct involvement in the military conflict with an excuse of not wanting to provoke WW3 but provide support both financial, and military, which the main characteristics of proxy war.

I also want to raise the question is this non allignment pact still applies? I raise the question since Yugoslavia, one of the initiator has become many countries, and some of which are already member of NATO: Croatia, North Macedonia, Slovenia, Montenegro. Although some members has de facto left, no more become a neutral countries, some perhaps still loyal to this pact?
Are you serious?

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Call it a contemporary historical document:
"Let's not be stupid together." Susan Sontag.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

smh