• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think local governments have jurisdiction over Lake Michigan? I would guess local territory officially ends along the shore. (I tried looking it up just now, but it's all pdfs; I'm not willing to load pdfs to my phone).

ETA: I live two miles from the Lake Michigan shore in Indiana. The FB page for local happenings is constantly reporting every single altercation the police deal with (so much so it's pretty funny). They never mention anything happening past the shore. That's why I assume their jurisdiction ends at the shore.

Yeah, I have no idea how that works.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
ba1bd8728e55fcad7740895ecdcceee1.png

The specific words he used are "the plateaus on their watch are stunning" because this administration started "with so much wind at their back."

It truly is getting harder and harder to believe anyone voting for this disgusting shit stain of a human being deserves any respect. No matter how far they are in that news bubble, how can a person reconcile this bombastic bullshit with all the vaccine fear-mongering the right has been doing? "The communists are going door to door to force vaccines on people, also it's the left's fault that vaccines have plateaued." How can anyone with a conscience NOT see it?

How do these mentally deranged vats of moldy chum have ANY constituency left?

What is kinda morbid here is that Trumpists are rejecting the vaccine against "China virus".

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What is kinda morbid here is that Trumpists are rejecting the vaccine against "China virus".

I can't keep up anymore. Is it a hoax? Is it going to magically disappear? Should all the dipshits get vaccines before their R governors say they're bad people? I don't know.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can't keep up anymore. Is it a hoax? Is it going to magically disappear? Should all the dipshits get vaccines before their R governors say they're bad people? I don't know.

That's rational logical pragmatic conservatism for you.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't stop laughing at this guy showing up in 90 F weather wearing a huge paper mache "pedophiles 4 Trump" costume just to troll Matt Gaetz. Is it stupid? Is it brilliant? It's both. It's both and so much more.

c4c15bdb7b882b81faaf303c08a822cd.png

c1cc73dc5fc7eb4bae720f69f08a43ce.png

The part that's making me laugh the most:

4b2915e77d95e3f69e58cd341c671bee.png

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
America’s vaccination woes cannot be blamed only on politics | The Economist

Pandemic blame game
America’s vaccination woes cannot be blamed only on politics

Surging covid infections and slow vaccinations in some states are caused by health illiteracy, not just partisanship

Jul 27th 2021
LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS

ARKANSAS, LIKE many other American states, is in the middle of another wave of the covid-19 pandemic. Its only health-sciences university hospital, the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS), is near capacity as it battles severe covid-19 infections, mostly among the unvaccinated. Across the state, covid-19 infections are worryingly high: the positivity rate, the percentage of all tests that are positive for covid-19, is five times the national average, according to a UAMS report. And vaccination rates are low: only 41% among people aged 12 and older, compared with the nationwide average of 58%, the Arkansas Department of Health said on July 26th. UAMS researchers describe the situation as “a raging forest fire”.

Meanwhile restaurants in Little Rock, the state capital, are packed with diners, most of them unmasked. (The state’s Republican governor, Asa Hutchinson, signed a law in April banning public institutions, but not private businesses, from requiring masks.) Customers chatter away inside air-conditioned restaurants, ignoring the patios outside. Some establishments post signs encouraging face coverings: “Consistent with CDC guidelines, unvaccinated guests and customers should wear masks,” says one sign in a hotel lobby. But that same lobby was filled with unmasked visitors. Many employees at these places wear face coverings, though not all.

The contrast between the situation inside hospitals and life elsewhere in Little Rock is striking. “The truth is, walking around here, you should be seeing people who are masked up,” says Cam Patterson, the chancellor of UAMS. “What you're seeing is actually part of what is causing this forest fire to rage.”

Throughout the United States covid-19 is spreading rapidly, mostly owing to the highly contagious Delta variant. According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the seven-day moving average of daily new cases on July 23rd (40,246) increased by 47% compared with the average a week earlier . This is 251% higher than the lowest average in the past 12 months, recorded on June 19th.

Areas with the lowest vaccination rates are being hit the hardest. Arkansas has had 367 new cases per 100,000 residents over the past week. About 45% of its adults are fully vaccinated. Louisiana has 306 new cases per 100,000 people and a 47% vaccination rate among adults. By contrast, Vermont, with a vaccination rate of 78%, has only 13 new cases per 100,000 residents, and New Hampshire, where 68% of adults are vaccinated, has 15.

Many Democrats have been quick to blame Republican politics for the soaring infections. Republicans are less likely than Democrats to get vaccinated. They were also less likely to comply with social distancing last year.

Prominent Republican leaders have long politicised the jab and other covid-19 prevention methods, such as masks and social distancing. In Texas, where new cases are running at 120 per 100,000 residents, the governor has decreed that people cannot be obliged to wear masks in public spaces. Several Republican governors and state legislatures, including Arkansas and Florida, have some form of ban on vaccine passports. Republican legislators in Tennessee pressed their state health department to stop outreach to teens for any vaccinations, covid or otherwise.

Fox News, America’s most-watched cable news outlet, has been a forum for vaccine scepticism for months, though it recently began encouraging the jab during prime time. Former President Donald Trump hid his vaccination status for weeks before touting inoculation.

But the problem goes beyond that disinformation and poor leadership. The barrage of scepticism would have been much less effective had people been equipped with a better understanding of health and science. “We have really struggled with health literacy over the years, this is not new,” explains Jennifer Dillaha of the Arkansas Department of Health. “People struggle with how to get good health information and apply it to their lives. And this existed as a problem in our state, long before the previous administration.”

Covid-19 is not the only health epidemic raging across the United States. The states struggling the most with covid-19 infections also have the least healthy populations. About two out of five American adults are obese, according to the CDC. One in four young adults is too heavy to serve in the military, and America is the fattest country in the OECD, a club of mostly rich countries. Heart disease accounts for one in four deaths. Almost half of Americans have high blood pressure, and 12% have high cholesterol. About one in ten has type 2 diabetes. For all of these diseases, states with the highest prevalence also tend to have the lowest vaccination rates.

Many Americans have trouble staying healthy because they lack access to resources. Only 23% of people get enough exercise and only one in ten eats enough fruit and vegetables, says the CDC. But more than half of Americans do not live within one mile of a park, and 40% of all households do not live within a mile of shops where they can buy fresh produce.

For many, illiteracy is also part of the trouble. Less than half of Americans are proficient readers, and only 12% are considered by the country’s health department to be “health-literate”. Over one-third struggle with basic health tasks, such as following prescription-drug directions. Couple this widespread illiteracy with a lack of access to consistent health care (one in eight adults reports not going to a doctor in the past year because of the cost), and America was bound to have a vaccination problem.

In the short term, policymakers are implementing pandemic-mitigation measures. California and New York City are requiring public employees to be vaccinated or tested regularly. The Department of Veterans Affairs announced vaccination requirements for its medical employees on July 26th. The next day President Joe Biden said the federal government was considering a similar requirement for its employees.

Masks are also returning for the vaccinated. Los Angeles county reimposed its mask-wearing requirement on July 22nd, and the CDC advised on July 27th that everyone (jabbed or not) should wear masks indoors in areas with high covid-19 transmission. In Arkansas the mayor of Little Rock is prepared to defy the state’s ban on mask mandates. “I took an oath to serve and protect the public health, safety, and welfare of every resident of Little Rock,” explains Frank Scott junior, a Democrat. “And so if it gets to the point that we need to do something, we will. Even if it means we go against the state.”

But in the longer term, education and trusted information—along with access to better health care—will be vital in overcoming disinformation, raising vaccination rates and improving America’s overall health.

“I'm not finding that blame is very useful,” says Dr Dillaha. “No one is choosing to not get vaccinated because they're wanting to make a bad decision for themselves.”

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Yeah.
Also I just came across the info that anti-vaxx conservative radio host in Tennessee got hospitalized in heavy condition. Sometimes you just can't wish away the reality.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah.
Also I just came across the info that anti-vaxx conservative radio host in Tennessee got hospitalized in heavy condition. Sometimes you just can't wish away the reality.

My husband was watching some random fishing show from down in Florida. At the end it said -In Memory of - one of the hosts of the show.

Travis Alan Holeman | Obituaries | keysnews.com

I guess "cascading health complications of COVID-19" is the new death by not being vaccinated. He died in late May and was 45. And that obit sounds like they're happy he's dead.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My husband was watching some random fishing show from down in Florida. At the end it said -In Memory of - one of the hosts of the show.

Travis Alan Holeman | Obituaries | keysnews.com

I guess "cascading health complications of COVID-19" is the new death by not being vaccinated. He died in late May and was 45. And that obit sounds like they're happy he's dead.

As his youngest relative, Jaxon, excitedly said, “Travis will get to hunt and fish as much as he wants in Heaven.”

:dry:

he could have actually done that here... with his friends and family.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is pretty good channel for global strategic issues.
However if this is all true and the maps are correct the afghan government will collapse within months (and retreat isn't even 100% complete).
The only thing left are cut off cities under siege and central area where one government friendly minority lives (red). While everything else is either quite contested (yellow), or it has fallen (black).
In a way it is unbelievable that the world didn't manage to solve this (since most of the world had some influence or interests in this mess). So now we are basically at the square one again.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
À propos of the Olympics:
In the past sixteen months, as the IOC has dropped all pretense of caring about athletes, the host nation, or global public health, the better part of planet Earth has gotten a true taste of what the Olympics have always been: incompatible with the decent world we’re trying to live in. One doesn’t have to think too hard about the Olympics before the magic dissolves. And the men behind the curtain are just a committee of aging, power-hungry extranational oligarchs. The games are their two-week-long party, made possible by politicians and developers looking to gentrify and militarize their cities.
Abolish the Olympics

And I wouldn't stop with the Olympics.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congress both failed to raise the debt ceiling and extend the eviction moratorium. Banks are overleveraged as fuck and the sudden tapering from the Fed will at the very least cause a major pullback of the stock market, if not completely crash the market. Housing bubble is about to burst, along with the atom bomb of eviction notices being dropped on the 1st. Probably for the best I stay off /r/politics for a few days.

Me doomscrolling IRL:
369c3fff829e63b7a281bf464b0a6093.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Congress both failed to raise the debt ceiling and extend the eviction moratorium. Banks are overleveraged as fuck and the sudden tapering from the Fed will at the very least cause a major pullback of the stock market, if not completely crash the market. Housing bubble is about to burst, along with the atom bomb of eviction notices being dropped on the 1st. Probably for the best I stay off /r/politics for a few days.

Me doomscrolling IRL:
369c3fff829e63b7a281bf464b0a6093.jpg

How weird that Kamala Harris just hired a Black Rock guy as her chief economic adviser too, right?

Kamala Harris Picks Member of World's Largest Asset Firm as Top Economic Adviser

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This eviction crisis showed up in my local news as well, since millions should effected.
However I do wonder how those potential evictions are scattered geographically across the country. I doubt that their density is equal cross the country.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
How weird that Kamala Harris just hired a Black Rock guy as her chief economic adviser too, right?

Kamala Harris Picks Member of World's Largest Asset Firm as Top Economic Adviser

Just neoliberals doing neoliberal things. Run campaigns on restoring the middle class and holding wallstreet more accountable, then fill your administration with ex and current wall street executives, the very people who have robbed the lower/middle class blind for decades while also taking their tax dollars in the form of bailouts while using every legal and sometimes illegal loophole to avoid paying their fair share.