• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Lark

I hear this frequently and I'm pretty convinced the people saying it do so for their own comfort. As in - I'm not part of either of these groups. I'm center/moderate. I'm good. They're bad. While I think it could be fear of getting involved or fear what others might say - I believe they are terrified of taking a position of any kind.

Maybe, for my part I'd say I'm far left, I dont care for either the white nationalists or the alphabet soup liberals.

They're all reflections of capitalism and consumerism in their decaying decrepitude.

Any society that was life affirming, freedom fostering and allowed people to go their own way, do their own thing wouldnt produce any of that trash and if it did then would would care? I wouldnt, they fight the bit out while everyone else if free to ignore all that noise.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Buy up all the Dr. Seuss books you possibly can to own the left! Post idiot memes and everything else to voice how much I hate change and consequence!

Douchebag Mike Schmuckabee can't even tweet Seuss correctly -- obviously a long-time lover of the man's work.

Financially rewarding the publishing company that pulled these books and are taking a more woke approach to things is a great idea! Good job! :D

tenor.gif

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hear this frequently and I'm pretty convinced the people saying it do so for their own comfort. As in - I'm not part of either of these groups. I'm center/moderate. I'm good. They're bad. While I think it could be fear of getting involved or fear what others might say - I believe they are terrified of taking a position of any kind.

Regarding this particular issue; it's mostly that I don't want to have a political conversation about things that are for babies. IMO it's a pretty accurate indicator of the sort of emotional level we're dealing with. I just find it exhausting and not worth my time.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
People have a lot of weird ideas about what I believe that don't even reflect things I've actually written, which is ironically what they accuse me of.

Like, I don't think I've once used the word "woke" to describe myself. The time period for when that label could have actually applied to me was before that term was even in widespread usage.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well this is cool. I just wish there was something that could be done to ensure the general populace the time to vote on national election days and/or vote in general. At least in my segment of the federal work force, I typically can take time off or use flex time to vote regardless, if I don't vote by mail.

Federal Employees Time Off to Vote Recommended in Executive Order

Jaguar

well this is cool. I just wish there was something that could be done to ensure the general populace the time to vote on national election days and/or vote in general. At least in my segment of the federal work force, I typically can take time off or use flex time to vote regardless, if I don't vote by mail.

Federal Employees Time Off to Vote Recommended in Executive Order

Vote by mail? As we speak, crazy state legislatures all over this country are plotting to take away that right from us. They didn't like the mail-in outcome - they lost.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vote by mail? As we speak, crazy state legislatures all over this country are plotting to take away that right from us. They didn't like the mail-in outcome - they lost.

Yeah. Losers.
Shameless, transparent, and childish.

You'd think in a country of the "free" that touts democracy, we would all want as many people to vote as possible and take pride in it.
Instead we get this shit.

Lark

I just wonder is it ironic or tragic that there's such huge, huge blindspots sometimes...

Jaguar

Iowa Journalist Who Was Arrested at Protest Is Found Not Guilty

Her case never should have gone to court to begin with. Dirty cops.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting video. I like how Heather puts the facts front and center in her explanations, just where they belong. I wonder, though, about two things.

1. Are the vast majority of transpeople just "cosplaying" as she says, rather than facing the real body dysphoria she acknowledges does exist? She didn't present any data there, and I don't know if any would even be available. I know people who have explored the possibility that they were trans, only to discover they were not. I know just as many, though, who do experience that dysphoria and need to take medical/physical steps to live productive lives.

2. What would Heather advise a person who identifies mostly with traits and behaviors in the "male" (or "female") basket, to include names, clothes, etc. but has female (male) biology and no great drive to change that? Presenting as their biological sex leaves them constantly correcting assumptions and fighting stereotypes, at least until those assumptions and stereotypes die off.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting video. I like how Heather puts the facts front and center in her explanations, just where they belong. I wonder, though, about two things.

1. Are the vast majority of transpeople just "cosplaying" as she says, rather than facing the real body dysphoria she acknowledges does exist? She didn't present any data there, and I don't know if any would even be available. I know people who have explored the possibility that they were trans, only to discover they were not. I know just as many, though, who do experience that dysphoria and need to take medical/physical steps to live productive lives.

2. What would Heather advise a person who identifies mostly with traits and behaviors in the "male" (or "female") basket, to include names, clothes, etc. but has female (male) biology and no great drive to change that? Presenting as their biological sex leaves them constantly correcting assumptions and fighting stereotypes, at least until those assumptions and stereotypes die off.

I don't know. It seems a little irresponsible for an evolutionary biologist to take such an unscientific approach but then I suppose people in that field aren't going to be experts on dysphoria, which falls more into psychology and possibly sociology and anthropology

I guess gender dysphoria, if not a new phenomenon, is at least new enough as a researched field that there's still a lack of data and info available, but it's irresponsible of her to make some of those assumptions in the absence of more hard data

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess gender dysphoria, if not a new phenomenon, is at least new enough as a researched field that there's still a lack of data and info available, but it's irresponsible of her to make some of those assumptions in the absence of more hard data

I wouldn't say it is not researched, it has been researched for decades. Medical interventions began in Western culture in the '30's. It's more the quality and the breadth of the research has improved.

The dysphoric aspects had to be approached more psychologically because the medical aspects either couldn't tied to one's internal experience, or you had certain theories fashionable at the time (like Ray Blanchard's autogenophylia) obsessing over male-to-female oriented individuals and viewed them as gay men who changed their bodies either because they were gay and wanted to justify their love for men or were obsessed with erotic self-love, the self as the opposite gender. it was all about sex, in other words, and there was a lack of exploration (not nearly as much) into the female-to-male experience. Overall, what existed tended to shoehorn gender dysphoria into some aspect of sexual orientation.

One big issue is that science itself (not just tied to this topic) was still developing. For example, there was no way until maybe the last 2-3 decades to study brains without dissecting them... which necessarily comes after death. Brain structure differences were noted, but in the case of trans-oriented people who might have had HRT, they couldn't determine whether the brain structure differences predated the HRT or HRT created the structural differences. There's been much more progress with the advances in science, the ability to identify dysphoric people earlier and willingness to enter treatment or study of some kind, etc. Lots more data too on post-transition contentment, which improved with better medical treatment. Also, despite all the furor nowadays politically, there's been a vast improvement socially in terms of not being ruined by transitioning. It used to be where you couldn't visibly fit in, and you'd lose your career / were living close to poverty level, you can now reasonably maintain family and social structures so that you are not alienated, etc. So obviously all that factors into post-transition outcomes and contentment. [Approaching this pragmatically -- if they cannot quantify one's state, one can at least look and see if and what treatments help long-term.]

So the quality and breadth of research has improved. But it still relies on an internal experience, versus something easily quantifiable (you can't get a blood test to determine your condition and how to resolve it), so... it still involves a psychological/therapeutic element.