• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Switching to a proportional system while keeping the electoral college... what a brilliant idea.

It actually is, this is still major improvement and it has much larger chance that it becomes a reality, since it isn't a complete remake of the system. After all sometimes you have to "cook" step by step. While on the other hand this is pretty much how we elect EU parliament and everything that comes out of it. Every country/state for itself for the most part.

Nicodemus

It actually is, this is still major improvement and it has much larger chance that it becomes a reality, since it isn't a complete remake of the system. After all sometimes you have to "cook" step by step. While on the other hand this is pretty much how we elect EU parliament and everything that comes out of it. Every country/state for itself for the most part.
If you had the votes to switch to the system used in the video, you would also have the votes to switch to a popular vote system without electoral college makeup, because the results are pretty much the same.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If you had the votes to switch to the system used in the video, you would also have the votes to switch to a popular vote system without electoral college makeup, because the results are pretty much the same.

Yes, concrete results are pretty much the same, but one "scenario" would be easier to sell to the ones that want to keep it as it is. Since the states are kinda remaining relevant in it. What makes a major difference in trying to pass the change, even if this is pure sugarcoating in a way. However the result would indeed lead to better representation and therefore idea probably isn't a bad one. Since the main problem in the equation is rather "winner takes all" instead of electoral college in general. Since "winner takes all" is what overwrites people's votes and makes certain states completely irrelevant in presidential elections.

Nicodemus

Yes, concrete results are pretty much the same, but one "scenario" would be easier to sell to the ones that want to keep it as it is. Since the states are kinda remaining relevant in it. What makes a major difference in trying to pass the change, even if this is pure sugarcoating in a way.
As usual, I disagree with your assessment. Selling it to the people would be easy: Everybody matters now. Selling it to Congress is the difficult part. There, every Republican would be able to tell, or would be told, that it any such change would spell the end of Republican power on the federal level - because in total numbers, Republicans usually lose elections.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

"Stop confusing moral arguments with empirical arguments." :nice:

When he starts talking about the Whigs and the Jeffersonians, and then the end of reconstruction, it's so interesting....

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The comments underneath the actual "The Conservative Beaver" article are the kicker, though.
One is claiming Obama and Biden are actually actors and the real guys are already under arrest, another says they are actually dead, one claims Obama is a pedophile and another one demands "They should all be hanged just for being homosexual".

Also, Biden is obviously hiding a police surveillance anklet.

I clicked on it to see if it was satire or genuine crazy but it looks more like clickbait (tons of advertisement!) disguised as crazy disguised as news.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The comments underneath the actual "The Conservative Beaver" article are the kicker, though.
One is claiming Obama and Biden are actually actors and the real guys are already under arrest, another says they are actually dead, one claims Obama is a pedophile and another one demands "They should all be hanged just for being homosexual".

Also, Biden is obviously hiding a police surveillance anklet.

I clicked on it to see if it was satire or genuine crazy but it looks more like clickbait (tons of advertisement!) disguised as crazy disguised as news.

lol Obviously.

I found a couple things linking to the Conservative Beaver YT this morning on the best place for breaking news - twitter.com . I was reluctant to click on it because I don't want that shit gumming up my Azerbaijani farmers/Boho decor/Breadtube algorithm.

Lark

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pelosi and Schumer back $908 billion bipartisan COVID proposal as basis for talks

Way to go "Master Legislator" Nancy Pelosi. If you were gonna cave on a shitty deal from the Republicans, why didn't you cave on the less shitty deal Trump proposed? At least it provided more robust aid for actual people and not just more business relief. Seriously, Democrats continually move forward as Republicans take steps back and say "meet me in the middle", and the Dems cave every goddamn time. You had a better chance at getting things done working with Trump on hill bill and using his power over the Republican voters to pressure his party into voting for his bill -- that would've been the best route. Instead you didn't get any of the things you said you wanted to even from Trump's bill -- in fact you got much less. And you still caved, while dragging this thing out way further than it needed to be at the expense of the people you aren't going to end up helping anyway.

Democrats have come down over 2 trillion and the Republicans have come up 400 Billion thus far.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pelosi and Schumer back $908 billion bipartisan COVID proposal as basis for talks

Way to go "Master Legislator" Nancy Pelosi. If you were gonna cave on a shitty deal from the Republicans, why didn't you cave on the less shitty deal Trump proposed? At least it provided more robust aid for actual people and not just more business relief. Seriously, Democrats continually move forward as Republicans take steps back and say "meet me in the middle", and the Dems cave every goddamn time. You had a better chance at getting things done working with Trump on hill bill and using his power over the Republican voters to pressure his party into voting for his bill -- that would've been the best route. Instead you didn't get any of the things you said you wanted to even from Trump's bill -- in fact you got much less. And you still caved, while dragging this thing out way further than it needed to be at the expense of the people you aren't going to end up helping anyway.

Democrats have come down over 2 trillion and the Republicans have come up 400 Billion thus far.

I maintain Nancy Pelosi is the biggest obstacle to progress in the Democratic Party. Spends more time bashing progressives and caving to Republicans.