• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Replacing RBG. Now that will be a tough thing to do.

Maybe they know someone. Maybe a guy in the US Court of Appeals. An actual judge, not a, you know, person who has never tried a case as an attorney and/or has a higher rating than F.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NewYorkTimes got their internal server leaked. I don't know if the news will cover it, but some of the shit people are finding reveals it's bad, very bad.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Now you always say, that you wanna be free... but you come runnin back...you come runnin back....you come runnin back...you come runnin to me... Time is on my side...yes it is. The exits are here. here. here. here. Anywhere. Any takers? No? Alright kiddos....buckle up and have fun. The Train is departing the station. Mind the gap.
ao_1986.004.511.jpg

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
NewYorkTimes got their internal server leaked. I don't know if the news will cover it, but some of the shit people are finding reveals it's bad, very bad.

I didn't see the news, but this if I got facts right is exactly why I am sure that American left is overconfident about all this (just as the last time). Since most of them don't think about out of the box stuff that can nudge things before you know it. Especially since it isn't even clear how the voting will actually happen during the pandemic. However they are taking risks as they have plenty of extra shots left.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't see the news, but this if I got facts right is exactly why I am sure that American left is overconfident about all this (just as the last time). Since most of them don't think about out of the box stuff that can nudge things before you know it. Especially since it isn't even clear how the voting will actually happen during the pandemic. However they are taking risks as they have plenty of extra shots left.

I found out about it only because I browse things like kiwifarms.

I personally think ithe election is going to end up like 2016 again. Republicans are not stupid, and underestimating their opponent is something the Democrats have been doing too often as of late. Republicans will most likely reveal something soon, to put a dent in Biden support in the next month or so.

Harris was a poor VP choice for Biden too. The election will be divided on the same lines as last time, because the people who do most of the voting are party loyalists. With the pandemic though, independants and new voters are more likely to stay home. Trump got a lot of new voters, and independant votes in 2016. So that actually might hurt him in 2020. But then, his opponent is Biden. He has no charisma, and won't debate Trump. Hardly anyone knows who he is unless they followed politics closely while Obama was in office. I think voter enthusiasm for Biden is even lower. So really, its going to be a battle of party loyalists. Then the defacto Bernie or Bust group going Trump just to spite the Democrats. But this is all considering we vote like normal.

The media is already trying to convince everyone the election was stolen, when in fact Biden just sucks. This isn't good at all. We might actually see a civil war, and it sucks. Mail in voting is not something I support. All the problems revolve around that.

The Cat

Staff member
Might? My dear Pilgrim... This is how they begin. They only seem to start so quickly in history thanks to the magical perspective alteration of hindsight.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I found out about it only because I browse things like kiwifarms.

I personally think ithe election is going to end up like 2016 again. Republicans are not stupid, and underestimating their opponent is something the Democrats have been doing too often as of late. Republicans will most likely reveal something soon, to put a dent in Biden support in the next month or so.

Harris was a poor VP choice for Biden too. The election will be divided on the same lines as last time, because the people who do most of the voting are party loyalists. With the pandemic though, independants and new voters are more likely to stay home. Trump got a lot of new voters, and independant votes in 2016. So that actually might hurt him in 2020. But then, his opponent is Biden. He has no charisma, and won't debate Trump. Hardly anyone knows who he is unless they followed politics closely while Obama was in office. I think voter enthusiasm for Biden is even lower. So really, its going to be a battle of party loyalists. Then the defacto Bernie or Bust group going Trump just to spite the Democrats. But this is all considering we vote like normal.

The media is already trying to convince everyone the election was stolen, when in fact Biden just sucks. This isn't good at all. We might actually see a civil war, and it sucks. Mail in voting is not something I support. All the problems revolve around that.

Well if the source of info is too alternative then the info perhaps isn't reliable. However if politicians start to throw talking points out of that bag in the end it doesn't even matter too much what is real. However I wouldn't be surprised that we see much more hacking.

On the other hand this VP choice really only makes sense if you go into identity politics (and probably internal politics of the party). However if we consider what is going on in the big picture those are kinda nothing burgers at the moment. Also supposedly they both have pretty bad record in "locking up" people and if that gets dragged through the campaign the good chunk of minorities will stay home due to the pandemic. What basically throws the polls out of the window even if there aren't any sneaky games. As I said here we also had "corona elections" and that didn't end well for the left at all. They put out objectively weak and uncharismatic candidate that had simplistic talking points that in the end all came down to "they are all Nazis and thieves" ... and then just before elections the cases started to grow. So the left simply stayed at home by good margin, while the right not so much. Therefore the polls missed for something like 20 points country wide and instead of "it should be close but enough" we got the biggest right wing landslide since the days of the founding fathers. Sure, here left and right are defined somewhat differently and there are relevant third parties in the mix, but the right is pretty much always much more enthusiastic about voting. However how the top democrats are playing their cards I can totally see something like this happening in November.

As I said openly I am not Trumpist at all but DNC is evidently blind to certain realities and possibilities. Do they honestly think that congress games around stimulus will help them ? Will two cops win over progressive voters and enough of minorities ? What if the pandemic gets better, or worse enough that all of this becomes enthusiasm game ? What if there is more hacking and you choose the wrong "chess pieces" ? Why go openly after the red states when you have increasing problems in much safer states ? Etc. Therefore for me all of this is far from blue wave some people are imagining. Instead this will probably be quite unclear race until the election day, which will probably be decided by turnout.

Jaguar

BY SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump Administration wants to change the definition of a showerhead to let more water flow, addressing a pet peeve of the president who complains he isn't getting wet enough.

Ha!

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ofc no one cares, they were white.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The number of people without health insurance has gone up significantly in Germany. In 2015 there were 79.000 people without health insurance. Last year that number had reached 143.000.
....Then again this is a country of 83 million (so we are talking about 0.17% of the population)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How did that happen ? (curious)

It's unclear. By law everybody must have some form of health insurance. I'd guess that these are selfemployed people who didn't underwrite any policy even though they have to. I am a freelancer myself and have to pay a lot for mine. If you are employed your employer pays half and you they other half (legally, they obviously simply deduct it from what your salary would otherwise be). If you are poor the state covers it.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's unclear. By law everybody must have some form of health insurance. I'd guess that these are selfemployed people who didn't underwrite any policy even though they have to. I am a freelancer myself and have to pay a lot for mine. If you are employed your employer pays half and you they other half (legally, they obviously simply deduct it from what your salary would otherwise be). If you are poor the state covers it.

Also, college students can be covered by their parentsv insurance until they are 25. If you keep studying longer and don't sign insurance of your own due to financial problems (even though it's very little for students) you might end up without. People with high income can opt for private insurance instead which is cheaper while you are young and healthy but gets progressively more expensive as you age. If you were once wealthy but then grow poorer you might be unable to pay. Once you opt our of public insurance though it's difficult to get back in.

In any case, you won't be turned down in cases of emergency.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I ask because everyone should be covered by European logic of healthcare. As you say "the hole" is only 0.17% of the population but that "shouldn't" be there at all.

While on the other hand we copy plenty of stuff that you do.

The Cat

Staff member
Where will you run to when there is nowhere left to run? Do you see what lies ahead when Sun grows cold and Moon is dead.