• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Same-Sex Penguin Couple to Raise Gender-Neutral Chick

rav3n

Scientifically, what in your opinion has a purpose?
Nothing. It's simply what mutation ensures for the survival of the animal, sufficient to breed. The more progeny, the greater likelihood of the survival of the species. This doesn't mean that there's any purpose or intent. There's no driving force behind it, purpose or any sort of destiny. Life exists and if the most destructive species, mankind continues on its destruction of the Earth's ecosystem, life will cease to exist on Earth.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
giphy.gif

it is important to teach children that birds are assholes early on.

Lark

Around 500 species of fish undergo organic sex changes so why the human fixation on gender and gender appropriate behaviors, never made sense to me.

It works for me. I appreciate difference. Never understood the appeal of androgyny or uniformity.

If conservatives are motivated by the concern that someone, somewhere, anonymously is having a good time then liberals are definitely motivated by the concern that someone, somewhere, anonymously might not feel as validated as they possibly could by others.

Lark

Humans are forever trying to figure out the reasons for why things out of their control, occur. They often ascribe intent or purpose where there isn't any. I suspect it has to do with insecurity where humans are one of the most fearful and insecure species of animals on this planet. Considering how humans lack any natural defenses or weapons, it's unsurprising why the insecurity.

What does this mean?

What do you think it means, it means mind how you go.

I dont think anything you're posting is sensible or correct but I dont think there's any further point in discussing it with you. No reason not to be cordial about a candid disagreement. I reached the opinions I have by thinking and rethinking them, examining the evidence and considering all the angles. I'm sure you've done something similar or the conclusions you've reached would not be satisfactory to you.

I'd not be satisfied with the conclusions you've reached but that's me and not you. Whatever works. Its not life and death.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is a natural process and what is a social construct? I do believe in natural processes trumping social constructs, very much so, although I dont necessarily believe that the rest of your argument follows from your/that premise.
In my mind that was the argument - just proposing a general principle. Perhaps beyond that there is a "pick your battles" approach I suggest.

Instead of supposing that hierarchy or federation are natural I'd say that both reflect culture, and not a little artifice too, spontaneous order is way, way more basic than either and not preferable to either in reality.
I think you are saying that top-down or bottom-up social structures are both natural? Not sure actually. I suspect we are operating from a lot of different underlying assumptions. I would say that I see humans absolutely as animals with some more abstract reasoning ability - just enough to get them in trouble a lot of the time. I don't think humans are masterful of theories.

So far as controlling nature or imposing theories upon it, I tend to find that romantic primitivism has its appeal until people have spent long enough without electricity or modern plumbing but that's just me, I'm not intending this to seem snarky either, its a genuine observation.
I don't know what romantic primitivism is as a known concept. I sometimes talk about wanting to live in a cabin, but that's a personal idea for myself to reject all of humanity. It's not a model for others at all in my mind. Life is hard without modern conveniences - I know because I've hauled snow, built fires to melt it, lived without heat, used hacksaws to chop wood, etc. When I hope for that life for myself I'm not thinking of any theories about humanity except for how scary they are in general. For me it's not dreamy and romantic - it's a way to still live in reality when I've pretty much decided to die. I don't operate from an internal global theory that informs all my ideas. Theories seem very fragmented to me, and packaged up perfectly until applied to reality.

To a point I agree with natural law, especially how Stoics have considered or contemplated it, although nature definitely is not what a lot of people make it out to be. Seeking examples of behaviour among beasts of the wild and using them as a vindication for human norms or mores is a terribly bad idea when you properly consider it, animals eat their young, resolve generational conflict with murder etc.

There's redeeming features too, as perceived and interpreted by human observers again, but I think I've made the point.
There is a common sense issue here for sure. I was just pointing to a principle and not suggesting it be applied in a rigid, rule-based, absolute way all the time. I don't mean to point at something that happens in nature and automatically say all humans should do it. It's more an issue that if something occurs a lot, we should recognize that humans are also animals and some of the same tendencies apply to us. The need for territorial space is one example. Ways of expressing sexuality or forming social groupings in general are worth considering. It's about extracting the underlying principles that are reapplied to humanity because it's a different context, and then picking one's battles instead of always fighting nature.

rav3n

What do you think it means, it means mind how you go.

I dont think anything you're posting is sensible or correct but I dont think there's any further point in discussing it with you. No reason not to be cordial about a candid disagreement. I reached the opinions I have by thinking and rethinking them, examining the evidence and considering all the angles. I'm sure you've done something similar or the conclusions you've reached would not be satisfactory to you.

I'd not be satisfied with the conclusions you've reached but that's me and not you. Whatever works. Its not life and death.
It's a Brit idiom that can be applied in multiple scenarios but the gist of it is that it's a bit of a cautionary for people who are going somewhere/leaving. I found it strange that you used it, considering how I'm not going anywhere/leaving this thread. Next time, try 'agree to disagree', if that's what you meant.

Tengri

Natural selection has no purpose.

Evolution has no purpose.

Humans do a lot of stupid stuff but it doesn't make the stupid stuff accurate.
Agreed. Just to frame this out more: evolution is often misrepresented as a carrot on a stick approach to explaining the variety and parallels between morphological similarities of different organisms. As a matter of comparison, to use the cliche phrase "phylogeny recapitulates ontology," where stages of an organisms evolutionary history are represented in its development to adulthood, homosexuality present in ape ancestors or presumably in recent hominins does not assume this will be expressed in modern H. sapiens - though there is a greater likelihood. (It doesn't help that Skene's glands and prostate gland stimulus are very much a carrot on a stick for sex-driven evolution) The social sexual culture of bonobo is an often cited example of unrestricted, exploratory, and playful sexuality present in a near-human ape ancestor, particularly for the prevalence of female to female, male to male, and dominant to subordinate members exchanging sexual favors for social harmony. Similarly, comparing examples of same-sex pair bonding among animals is extremely local and represents convergent evolution, not proof that human custom traces its roots to the 'naturalness' of given sexual preference. Same-sex mating is present in other big-brained relatives besides apes, especially Bottle-nosed dolphins. What's more, it's important to make distinct the differences of what is natural here: 1) there is limbic pair bonding, and then there's 2) reproduction, and again there's 3) sex for the sake of sex. Humans have to navigate all three at once given our physiological predilection for the latter and an exaggerated, culture-bound conception of the former - while reproduction itself is torn, labeled, and valorized or demonized in the same sentence. My point being that examples of same-sex pair bonding (in penguins) does not accurately mirror the concept of homosexuality in humans - just as avian intelligence seems analogous to human cognition though distantly related.

I'm not here to argue homosexuality is unnatural in any sense. It only vaguely resembles same-sex bonding and mating of unrelated animals and it does injustice and great inaccuracy to a uniquely human expression (like language to religion or math to music) by comparing it to same-sex flirting and loneliness of penguins.

Do animals have gender identities?
Well said. That's really the bottom line of this publicity stunt.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do animals have gender identities?
Functionally yes they certainly would express as a gender in behavior and identity. They know what they are attracted to and not all within a species generally exhibits homosexual behaviors, but certain individuals will and in certain environment more individual will. Just like humans actually. Also, people have often studied animal self-awareness using mirrors instead of scent which is phenomenally short-sighted. How many humans could identify "self" based on their own scent when given a basket full of dirty socks with the task to find their own. Then we dismiss animal identify because they aren't interested in mirrors.

Koko the gorilla was very opinionated about which male she chose to have come to the facility, and she rejected many on sight but chose Michael. Most animals are selective about mates based on instinct and individual choice. We're not that different.

rav3n

Agreed. Just to frame this out more: evolution is often misrepresented as a carrot on a stick approach to explaining the variety and parallels between morphological similarities of different organisms. As a matter of comparison, to use the cliche phrase "phylogeny recapitulates ontology," where stages of an organisms evolutionary history are represented in its development to adulthood, homosexuality present in ape ancestors or presumably in recent hominins does not assume this will be expressed in modern H. sapiens - though there is a greater likelihood. (It doesn't help that Skene's glands and prostate gland stimulus are very much a carrot on a stick for sex-driven evolution) The social sexual culture of bonobo is an often cited example of unrestricted, exploratory, and playful sexuality present in a near-human ape ancestor, particularly for the prevalence of female to female, male to male, and dominant to subordinate members exchanging sexual favors for social harmony. Similarly, comparing examples of same-sex pair bonding among animals is extremely local and represents convergent evolution, not proof that human custom traces its roots to the 'naturalness' of given sexual preference. Same-sex mating is present in other big-brained relatives besides apes, especially Bottle-nosed dolphins. What's more, it's important to make distinct the differences of what is natural here: 1) there is limbic pair bonding, and then there's 2) reproduction, and again there's 3) sex for the sake of sex. Humans have to navigate all three at once given our physiological predilection for the latter and an exaggerated, culture-bound conception of the former - while reproduction itself is torn, labeled, and valorized or demonized in the same sentence. My point being that examples of same-sex pair bonding (in penguins) does not accurately mirror the concept of homosexuality in humans - just as avian intelligence seems analogous to human cognition though distantly related.

I'm not here to argue homosexuality is unnatural in any sense. It only vaguely resembles same-sex bonding and mating of unrelated animals and it does injustice and great inaccuracy to a uniquely human expression (like language to religion or math to music) by comparing it to same-sex flirting and loneliness of penguins.

Well said. That's really the bottom line of this publicity stunt.
It's 'Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny' for the Recapitulation Theory.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I don't know about penguins, but dolphins can self-identify with a sound or name. They call each other by name. If a dolphin is capable of that sort of abstraction related to self-identity, isn't is possible that something as instinctual and primal as sexuality could also be part of their concept of self? It's not imposing human traits on animals, it's researching animals and discovering that humans share their traits.

Dolphins 'call each other by name' - BBC News

Tengri

It's 'Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny' for the Recapitulation Theory.
Right, hence the "cliche phrase." I was poking fun and don't agree that Darwinian evolution has a goal, as you said, natural selection and evolution have no purpose or graded hierarchy.
Humans do a lot of stupid stuff but it doesn't make the stupid stuff accurate.
More accurately: ontology creates phylogeny, or better yet, 'phylogeny recapitulates phylogeny'