• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rainforest fire and Brazil's president

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Ok so manbearpig is real. What can we really do about it now?

Manbearpig was only the beginning... meet... halfsharkalligatorhalfman YouTube

That's right. There's a bigger enemy on the scene, more vicious than manbearpig. :borg:

Run to the hills! We're all going to die!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Call me an optimist. My blind hope is that he'll be punted in 2020 since anyone with half a brain won't vote for him.

I hope you are right but I don't hold much belief that it will happen. The People have not proven themselves wise. Doesn't mean I won't get out and vote, though.

This is a question of good and evil, not intelligence.

I disagree. Stupidity and fear or apathy are prime weapons in evil’s arsenal. Why do despots keep the masses ignorant and afraid/apathetic? Because an ignorant society is a controllable society.

Edit: Just read your edit.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
This and similar is contributing to my overall mental state in recent years. I can't NOT think about it. It literally makes me almost want to vomit.

All I can think of is to donate to organizations who are down there (or here) who are trying to fight, who are more in the legal realm of protection and fighting back, etc, or those who work to empower communities to live and make a living WITH the land as it is, and so on.

Oh - and to put votes towards those whose policy does not further the destruction of all of this. This goes for any locality in the world.

(But yeah - that's all I've got, and honestly I feel we're inevitably screwed anyway. Humans don't inherently operate in a long-range what's-best-for-the-world-and-everything-way, and 'good' people don't usually acquire power, nor would the majority actually value or want to follow all of what would be best for everyone / everything outside of themselves).

The NGOs there that work with indigenous peoples who are also suffering and want to protect the forests could use the donation, that's for sure. It seems like that's all we can do-- it's not like the majority of us could travel there and personally put out the fires. :\

A Brazillian friend recommended this charity; if you're hard up on cash you can donate 10 of their local currency (that's about 2.50 USD) instead of in USD: Donate to SOS Amazonia

There's an article about charity to donate to - maybe you'd like to look into it: Here's what you can do to help the burning, ravaged Amazon rainforest, Business Insider - Business Insider Singapore

There's also this petition - Avaaz - Brazil: End the Amazon apocalypse! it probably won't do much, but it's something to try out.

I do feel the same sense of despair, but it's really just mixed with a lot of anger. Hopefully in the long run I'll be able to channel this anger into doing something productive, rather than have it fuel a deep depression. -_-

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I disagree. Stupidity and fear or apathy are prime weapons in evil’s arsenal. Why do despots keep the masses ignorant and afraid/apathetic? Because an ignorant society is a controllable society.

Edit: Just read your edit.

Even in that case, the ones perpetrating the ignorance are doing so out of a sense of evil.

But evil is a kind of stupidity, as I see it. The worst kind.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
697be8ed1e3891636e6bd46d1e98f8d9.jpg

Yep...still on fire.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not really sure its possible to save Earth, because people in power do not care, and even if they did, the entire world won't agree. Even if all of Western civilization banded together in the greenest deal ever, the West isn't where the rainforests are. Someone needs to stop the 3rd world from polluting and destroying the Earth.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I will just leave this here.

Although I am sorry to say but what this thread shows probably isn't the worse part globally. Since the Siberia is real hell for something like 2 months now.

However since this isn't the iconic Amazon truly no one really cares. Even if this is basically the biggest forest on the planet at this point.

Jaguar

Call me an optimist. My blind hope is that he'll be punted in 2020 since anyone with half a brain won't vote for him.

When an old man stood in my kitchen and said he was voting for Trump because he believed Hillary would take his guns, I knew there was a major problem. It didn't even matter to him when I said no one could legally come into his home and take his guns. Once a belief gets inside someone's skull, reason goes right out the window.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am not really sure its possible to save Earth, because people in power do not care, and even if they did, the entire world won't agree. Even if all of Western civilization banded together in the greenest deal ever, the West isn't where the rainforests are. Someone needs to stop the 3rd world from polluting and destroying the Earth.

First of all, Brazil is not part of the '3rd world'. And secondly, much of the destruction done in Brazil and '3rd world' countries is due to first-world nations - the U.S. is a main one - demands/lifestyles. Additionally, the U.S. is doing a fine job of 'polluting and destroying the Earth' these days by virtue of its government and new lack of acknowledgment/accountability in much of anything on this front. Its current policies are right up there with Brazil's -- it's just we don't happen to have a tropical rainforest. I can't believe this needs to be said.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First of all, Brazil is not part of the '3rd world'. And secondly, much of the destruction done in Brazil and '3rd world' countries is due to first-world nations - the U.S. is a main one - demands/lifestyles. Additionally, the U.S. is doing a fine job of 'polluting and destroying the Earth' these days by virtue of its government and new lack of acknowledgment/accountability in much of anything on this front. Its current policies are right up there with Brazil's -- it's just we don't happen to have a tropical rainforest. I can't believe this needs to be said.

And how is blaming anyone constructive? They are still making certain choices to perpetuate that. Both sides are technically at fault for business and trade. Are we just going to stop producing or buying anything that comes from these places? And no, USA's environmental policies are not nearly as bad. We don't dump tons of waste chemicals into the rivers, turning them rainbow colors like china for example. America may not be perfect, but its pretty damn clean compared to most places. In fact, I think the top contributors to ocean plastic is India, Africa, and China. Don't confuse production vs improper disposal. As long as waste is managed appropriately, and recycled, it should be fine. By the way, I think littering laws should be enforced more strictly.

inadequately-managed-plastic_v1_850x600.svg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

GOP Lobbyists Helping U.S. Companies Exploit the Amazon

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And how is blaming anyone constructive? They are still making certain choices to perpetuate that. Both sides are technically at fault for business and trade. Are we just going to stop producing or buying anything that comes from these places? And no, USA's environmental policies are not nearly as bad. We don't dump tons of waste chemicals into the rivers, turning them rainbow colors like china for example. America may not be perfect, but its pretty damn clean compared to most places. In fact, I think the top contributors to ocean plastic is India, Africa, and China. Don't confuse production vs improper disposal. As long as waste is managed appropriately, and recycled, it should be fine. By the way, I think littering laws should be enforced more strictly.

inadequately-managed-plastic_v1_850x600.svg

Well, I'm not referring to waste disposal methods, nor do I think recycling is a great thing to fall back on for various reasons I'm not interested in elaborating on here, but that's beside the point, though interesting that you're citing this one element. Also your chart is from 2010, which... Haha.

Doesn't take away from the fact that the '3rd' world isn't the sole culprit (you're the one who initially stated 'someone needs to stop the 3rd world from polluting and destroying the earth' - so you started the blaming, lol. ), nor the fact that it matters not whether the u.s. currently has decent environmental standards, when much of the legislation is being pushed to be rolled back/discontinued by the current admin, the current admin has dismantled much of the science, and ignores global warming. I just have a big lol response to your citing the upstanding environmental stewardship of the U.S. at this juncture.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I'm not referring to waste disposal methods, nor do I think recycling is a great thing to fall back on for various reasons I'm not interested in elaborating on here, but that's beside the point, though interesting that you're citing this one element. Also your chart is from 2010, which... Haha.

Doesn't take away from the fact that the '3rd' world isn't the sole culprit (you're the one who initially stated 'someone needs to stop the 3rd world from polluting and destroying the earth' - so you started the blaming, lol. ), nor the fact that it matters not whether the u.s. currently has decent environmental standards, when much of the legislation is being pushed to be rolled back/discontinued by the current admin, the current admin has dismantled much of the science, and ignores global warming. I just have a big lol response to your citing the upstanding environmental stewardship of the U.S. at this juncture.

My initial statements was me just being grumbly, and I didn't think anyone would take it seriously. So its my fault for being misleading. So sorry if I accidentally started a debate.

I didn't claim they are the sole culprit, just that they suck at cleaning up. Also, I don't see any evidence to suggest Trump increased the amount of trash or litter into the ocean, which is probably just as am important factor to life as the rainforest. Nor do I see Trump actively burning down our National parks. Did he do some things like remove money from the EPA? Sure. But that doesn't mean things have gotten worse due to less funding. Also, regulation and defunding =/= destruction.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My initial statements was me just being grumbly, and I didn't think anyone would take it seriously. So its my fault for being misleading. So sorry if I accidentally started a debate.

I didn't claim they are the sole culprit, just that they suck at cleaning up. Also, I don't see any evidence to suggest Trump increased the amount of trash or litter into the ocean, which is probably just as am important factor to life as the rainforest. Nor do I see Trump actively burning down our National parks. Did he do some things like remove money from the EPA? Sure. But that doesn't mean things have gotten worse due to less funding. Also, regulation and defunding =/= destruction.

An interesting spin. I disagree.

This is where I bow out of these sorts of discussions, though. I've said my piece.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Although I am sorry to say but what this thread shows probably isn't the worse part globally. Since the Siberia is real hell for something like 2 months now.

However since this isn't the iconic Amazon truly no one really cares. Even if this is basically the biggest forest on the planet at this point.

I care. I was unaware. Thank you for sharing this.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

They care minuscule amounts about the Amazon on fire but when you tell them Siberia is on fire - blank stares and :shrug: so? These people truly think what occurs globally has absolutely no impact on them at all and even if it does it will do nothing to them. It's astounding.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I care. I was unaware. Thank you for sharing this.

That was just a figure of speech. For weeks there is the cloud of smoke above Siberia that is something like 1000 miles in diameter but that simply manages to escape the MSM in general. Plus what is perhaps the most troubling is that this seem generally "natural" unlike in the Amazon and therefore indicates "climate problems".

However since you quoted me I will tell you that I find that 2010 plastics graph fishy. Towards it yellow basically means there is no mismanagement. However I know to tour USA through Google earth and as soon as you move from decent places into poor neighborhoods or abandoned industrial zone the odds are that trash will be all over the place (including plastics). Also that graph rates my country as "up to 10%" and even today in 2019 we still didn't fully solve waste management, so in 2010 ..... no way. I know plenty of people that throw plastics in general trash all the time even if special container is nearby, actually often there even isn't special container on every corner. Plus, don't even try to google pictures for "landfill USA".

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was just a figure of speech. For weeks there is the cloud of smoke above Siberia that is something like 1000 miles in diameter but that simply manages to escape the MSM in general. Plus what is perhaps the most troubling is that this seem generally "natural" unlike in the Amazon and therefore indicates "climate problems".

However since you quoted me I will tell you that I find that 2010 plastics graph fishy. Towards it yellow basically means there is no mismanagement. However I know to tour USA through Google earth and as soon as you move from decent places into poor neighborhoods or abandoned industrial zone the odds are that trash will be all over the place (including plastics). Also that graph rates my country as "up to 10%" and even today in 2019 we still didn't fully solve waste management, so in 2010 ..... no way. I know plenty of people that throw plastics in general trash all the time even if special container is nearby, actually often there even isn't special container on every corner. Plus, don't even try to google pictures for "landfill USA".

:) Believe me, I know all about the abundance of trash here, the fact that much that gets sent to the recycling facility isn't in fact recyclable and is contaminated and gets sent to the landfill anyway, because a lot of people don't know what they're doing and throw non-recyclables in there or aren't aware that there are a LOT of paper and plastic products that are not recyclable -- it's why I find the 'oh you can recycle!' thing a cop-out (I DO recycle what is recyclable, btw ;)); oh, good, so that justifies us being wasteful? Not to mention the energy, water, waste created to create all of these products in the first place. And you do realize that that cup you think is recyclable isn't in fact recyclable, so the fact that you think it is and that makes it 'ok' to throw a cup away every day because you think it's recyclable is just... :doh: . I wasn't planning on discussing it in this thread but yeah, our waste here is ridiculous.