• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trump 2020

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Do I know for certain there was an imminent threat? No. Does the admin have a plan for what will likely follow? Probably not. He was a dick, no doubt. But that's not good enough reason to take someone out. I see the negatives outweighing anything positive, frankly. That Pompeo would say Americans are safer now is ludicrous and dangerous. I foresee a domino effect that will get quite disruptive in ways that the USA is probably not ready for. I hope I am wrong. In the mean time, this is rather amusing and timely: FLASHBACK: Trump Predicted Obama Would Attack Iran To Get Re-Elected | The Daily Caller
I hope you're wrong too. I don't have any more clue of what is going on than you do, but I have to assume that it is not in Iran's best interest to go to war with the United States. And I know we have been trying the carrot approach with them since Obama, and they just took our carrots and kept being assholes. There's some decent logic to the hit, however concerning. Hopefully.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I hope you're wrong too. I don't have any more clue of what is going on than you do, but I have to assume that it is not in Iran's best interest to go to war with the United States. And I know we have been trying the carrot approach with them since Obama, and they just took our carrots and kept being assholes. There's some decent logic to the hit, however concerning. Hopefully.

Questionable.

Iran is under heavy sanctions that are choking the country, while now it has open an "argument" to start "something".
Also it must not be overlooked that Iran is ally of both China and Russia, from economy to military. Therefore with their blessing and guns Iran just might dare to do something, especially since US can't win this war without very heavy involvement (if it can at all at this point). Since Iran is actually pretty fortified mountain country that is about 3 times bigger than Texas and has over 80 million people. While USA is already losing influence left and right across the world and this huge war would only speed that up. This war wouldn't be just another "intervention" if it happens.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Questionable. Iran is under heavy sanctions that are choking the country, while now it has open an "argument" to start "something". Also it must not be overlooked that Iran is ally of both China and Russia, from economy to military. Therefore with their blessing and guns Iran just might dare to do something, especially since US can't win this war without very heavy involvement (if it can at all at this point). Since Iran is actually pretty fortified mountain country that is about 3 times bigger than Texas and has over 80 million people. While USA is already losing influence left and right across the world and this huge war would only speed that up. This war wouldn't be just another "intervention" if it happens.
I'm too ignorant in all of these matters to have any kind of weighty opinion or make any kind of feasible projections. Everything I know about Iran came from some strange animated movie I saw a long time ago about a girl who grew up during the revolution. Is their government currently solid and mostly supported by their people, or are they the regressive oppressive theocracy that people on the right paint it?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm too ignorant in all of these matters to have any kind of weighty opinion or make any kind of feasible projections. Everything I know about Iran came from some strange animated movie I saw a long time ago about a girl who grew up during the revolution. Is their government currently solid and mostly supported by their people, or are they the regressive oppressive theocracy that people on the right paint it?

That was the post on the basis "Here is what I know".

Of course it would be better that this doesn't explode into open war but considering everything lately that surely can't be ignored as a possibility. The country is evidently autocratic but in that regard there seem to be worse countries in the world regarding this. Plus they have certain limited democracy with topics that you shouldn't open. Some like their country, some don't.

However since USA is putting extra pressure for the last 3 years that surely pushes most of their people towards their government, that is just how human brain works. Probably nothing too big will come out of this but if it does this could be the biggest American war since ww2. Especially since this has the chance to drag extra factors and countries into the mix, plus their missiles can reach many of your bases and important infrastructure in the region. Not to mention indirect stuff like oil prices and similar economic factors. Also your allies are warning you about all of this "toying with fire" but US doesn't really listen. Therefore if something happens you are generally on your own in this, what is possibly the biggest problem since maneuvering space will be limited. Since currently in the "Iran deal issue" it is USA vs. Iran, Russia, China, Germany, France and UK ... if I am not mistaken.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The anwer is complicated. They are still an oppressive theocracy, but a stable one. Young people and urban people want change, there is an educated middle class. Rural people have other things to worry about. An external threat tends to help such regimes and stifle the opposition. The main problem is the revolutionary council and the constitution as they limit the options of any elected reformer (and often don't let reformers on those lists). People 's everyday lives often have little to do with the official version, many lead very Western lives and want better relations with the West. My mother visited in May and loved the country and its people.

Also, there is no proof Iran "kept being assholes". They fulfilled their side of the deal. The IAA confirmed that. It was the US under Trump that unilaterally broke the deal. Iran desperately asked Europe to talk some sense into the US government and salvage the deal. Europe also wanted to keep it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The anwer is complicated. They are still an oppressive theocracy, but a stable one. Young people and urban people want change, there is an educated middle class. Rural people have other things to worry about. An external threat tends to help such regimes and stifle the opposition. The main problem is the revolutionary council and the constitution as they limit the options of any elected reformer (and often don't let reformers on those lists). People 's everyday lives often have little to do with the official version, many lead very Western lives and want better relations with the West. My mother visited in May and loved the country and its people.

Also, there is no proof Iran "kept being assholes". They fulfilled their side of the deal. The IAA confirmed that. It was the US under Trump that unilaterally broke the deal. Iran desperately asked Europe to talk some sense into the US government and salvage the deal. Europe also wanted to keep it.

The US has been fucking with this country for so long, I don't know what else there is to say.

Eisenhower and Churchill _ CIA overthrew democratically elected Mosaddegh in 1953 because he didn't give them control of the oil fields (Truman didn't support). Shah led 25 years of tyrannical rule (totally supported by the US) . Hostage situation due to the US not extraditing the Shah post revolution and backing Iraq. In the 80's the US backed Iraq after they invaded Iran, many dead lots of chemical weapons provided by the US. 1985 - Iran-Contra. 1988 USS Vincennes shot down an Iranian passenger jet. 1988 - Clinton deems Iran terrorists after they attempt to arm themselves. 2001 - Iran is part of the axis of evil same, 2006 US violates 1981 U.S-Iranian agreement in which the U.S. pledged “not to intervene directly or indirectly, politically or militarily in Iran’s internal affairs.”...

So, it's best to take that whole regressive oppressive theocracy thing with a little more skepticism and for everyone to read up a bit on the history.