MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Taxpayer-funded barrier != building a wall and Mexico paying for it

Um, the OP was praising Trump for achieving very good results. Maybe he's not "most people" (which I doubt), but I'm not responding to "most people." I'm responding to him.

Keep your eye on the ball.
    I never once thought Trump meant that Mexico would literally pay for the wall for one. Because I never took Trump literally, because he advertises, he doesn't speak literally. Thats how Trump has always sold his ideas. I don't see what's so hard to understand the marketing memetic technique. I read between the lines, and see the real goal, and how to get there. Trump breaks it down to its simplist form, because the simpler the message, the harder it is to corrupt. This makes his messages immune to certain things. I don't know about other Trump supporters, and how they see him. After all, its not like we are exactly the same. I think he is doing a great job, and I also think people misunderstand how and why. Which is why I tried to clarify why people think Trump is successful. Which is exactly on par with OP's post. I also very much agree that the medias narrative is corrupt BS, and has become transparent and biased as fuck.
    “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
    Charles Bukowski
    Likes Deprecator liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris View Post
    I never once thought Trump meant that Mexico would literally pay for the wall for one. Because I never took Trump literally, because he advertises, he doesn't speak literally. Thats how Trump has always sold his ideas. I don't see what's so hard to understand the marketing memetic technique. I read between the lines, and see the real goal, and how to get there. Trump breaks it down to its simplist form, because the simpler the message, the harder it is to corrupt. This makes his messages immune to certain things. I don't know about other Trump supporters, and how they see him. After all, its not like we are exactly the same. I think he is doing a great job, and I also think people misunderstand how and why. Which is why I tried to clarify why people think Trump is successful. Which is exactly on par with OP's post. I also very much agree that the medias narrative is corrupt BS, and has become transparent and biased as fuck.
    So when he talked about building a wall and having Mexico pay for it, you knew the whole time he was really talking about you and I paying for it? There's no logic in how Mexico is supposed to "metaphorically" pay for the wall. We are paying for that wall, whether by act of Congress or national emergency.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

So when he talked about building a wall and having Mexico pay for it, you knew the whole time he was really talking about you and I paying for it? There's no logic in how Mexico is supposed to "metaphorically" pay for the wall. We are paying for that wall, whether by act of Congress or national emergency.
    Its called increasing the cost of immigration, reducing the flow of money back to Mexico, increasing the fines on illegal immigration, and harsher penalties etc. And I wanted a wall if I paid for it or not. Its dimes compared to the shit Bernie wants me to pay.
    “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
    Charles Bukowski

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Its called increasing the cost of immigration, reducing the flow of money back to Mexico, increasing the fines on illegal immigration, and harsher penalties etc. And I wanted a wall if I paid for it or not. Its dimes compared to the shit Bernie wants me to pay.
    That's not Mexico paying for it. Not in any way.

Think of it this way. If he effectively increases the cost of immigration so that less people do indeed immigrate, that still doesn't pay for the wall. You can't fine illegal immigrants who aren't coming here anymore. Either the wall works and people stop immigrating, so there is no increased revenue from fines and harsher penalties, or there is increased revenue from fines and harsher penalties, in which case the wall doesn't work.

I'm not happy paying for it, because I never wanted the damn thing. Thanks for supporting the government stealing from my hard-earned wages.

-Zhuangzi

Likes tinker683 liked this post

I never once thought Trump meant that Mexico would literally pay for the wall for one.
    Yeah, apparently Trump supporters were the only people not super confused by rhetoric that included phrases such as "directly or indirectly"; it seems the only people who feel deceived are the ones who didn't vote for him.

Because I never took Trump literally, because he advertises, he doesn't speak literally.
    Yeah, I've read that non-native English speakers are more than twice as likely than native English speakers to interpret Trump's rhetoric as either inflammatory or offensive. The theory is that native English speakers are more likely to identify sarcastic commentary, hyperbole, and other forms of non-literal speech, and thus are more likely to find his remarks funny or otherwise more engaging.

For an example, I remember laughing out loud when I heard Trump say: "Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing." Of course, critics found this comment so triggering that it was literally cited as even more "evidence" of a debunked conspiracy theory. With headlines like, "Trump Invited the Russians to Hack Clinton. Were They Listening?", I really can't blame Trump for repeatedly lambasting these failing news agencies as fake.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

That's not Mexico paying for it. Not in any way.

Think of it this way. If he effectively increases the cost of immigration so that less people do indeed immigrate, that still doesn't pay for the wall. You can't fine illegal immigrants who aren't coming here anymore. Either the wall works and people stop immigrating, so there is no increased revenue from fines and harsher penalties, or there is increased revenue from fines and harsher penalties, in which case the wall doesn't work.

I'm not happy paying for it, because I never wanted the damn thing. Thanks for supporting the government stealing from my hard-earned wages.
    Pretty ironic from someone who wants to elect Bernie. You think I want to pay for "free shit", because I don't.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I'm not for a wall. Probably because I have been to places like Israel and the southern border in the US and I see what a paranoid nation is capable of.

Strangely enough I hear little from the GOP on the thousands of unguarded miles, wide the fuck open border to the north. Is that because there is no security threat (lol to anyone that thinks that) or that it's mostly white Christian, folks on the other side? Dunno man.
    Didn't you hear? He's going to hold a press conference soon at Trump tower to announce the big theme of his 2020 run: a wall on the Canadian Border. Expect a lot of strong rhetoric and fear mongering about burly lumberjacks crossing the border with their sharp, double-bladed axes and cheap Canadian beer. Anti-hockey sentiment will be a real problem once he starts stirring up his base. Discrimination against bearded hipsters in flannel shirts will rise.
    you do realize that this is the captain?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Didn't you hear? He's going to hold a press conference soon at Trump tower to announce the big theme of his 2020 run: a wall on the Canadian Border. Expect a lot of strong rhetoric and fear mongering about burly lumberjacks crossing the border with their sharp, double-bladed axes and cheap Canadian beer. Anti-hockey sentiment will be a real problem once he starts stirring up his base.
    That would be hilarious.
    Charles Bukowski
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "Mexico will pay for the wall!"

Mexico will pay for the wall!
    3:31 AM - 1 Sep 2016

My favorite response:

Why didn't you say that when you were in Mexico, chickenshit?
    If you are working on something exciting that you really care about, you don't have to be pushed. The vision pulls you.
    – Steve Jobs

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Pretty ironic from someone who wants to elect Bernie. You think I want to pay for "free shit", because I don't.
    Why not, if I have to pay for your dumb barrier? If you're going to steal from me, I'll be happy to steal from you.

-Zhuangzi