• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MRA Documentary (link to movie, free to watch)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know I'd talked a lot about this documentary in the past. I'm not looking to debate anyone on gender politics (other people can go right ahead, but I've had enough of that) or to "wreck some feminists" (maybe I'm overly idealistic but I think there's still a chance the MRAs and feminists can come together to form a new and better movement via the Hegelian Dialectic), but for anyone interested in watching it, it's been posted in full on youtube. It's subtitled in Turkish but the audio is in English. At least give it a watch before dismissing it as a piece of propaganda. It may not be up long before someone has it taken down for copyright violation, so I'd watch it sooner rather than later, assuming you're interested. It's approximately 1 hour and 57 minutes. There are a lot of statistics and data points shown on screen, so you might want to view this with your undivided attention, rather than listening to it in the background while doing other things. Keep an open mind going into this film. Please keep any discussion civil so the mods will continue allowing us to have nice things. It's probably also a good idea to see the movie before commenting on it. That is all.

I debated which section to post this in. I hope it's OK in this subforum. Mods can move it if they think it should go somewhere else. I just thought that, given the nature of the topic, it wouldn't be a good fit for the Arts and Entertainment subforum.

I posted some of my own criticisms of the film, positive and negative, in post #12, on page 2 of this thread, if anyone is interested in reading them.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know I'd talked a lot about this documentary in the past. I'm not looking to debate anyone on gender politics (other people can go right ahead, but I've had enough of that) or to "wreck some feminists" (maybe I'm overly idealistic but I think there's still a chance the MRAs and feminists can come together to form a new and better movement via the Hegelian Dialectic).

Didn't watch the video yet, but I'm not optimistic about this unless they can unite around something else. The thing is, the divide is fueled by the culture war, and the culture war is what sustains the current political establishment and dynamics. So there's a need to always maintain the conflict in order to keep things continuing along the current path.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
While I'm glad someone wants to start talking, I keep wondering why the request to start talking is directed at women. I think you might make more headway if you talk to other men.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I'm glad someone wants to start talking, I keep wondering why the request to start talking is directed at women. I think you might make more headway if you talk to other men.

Do you get the impression I created this thread so women would watch this? I created it for anyone interested in watching it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Do you get the impression I created this thread so women would watch this? I created it for anyone interested in watching it.

No. I was addressing this part of your OP.

maybe I'm overly idealistic but I think there's still a chance the MRAs and feminists can come together to form a new and better movement via the Hegelian Dialectic

I understand you created the thread for anyone interested in watching it, as you also said that in the OP.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

maybe I'm overly idealistic but I think there's still a chance the MRAs and feminists can come together to form a new and better movement via the Hegelian Dialectic

I understand you created the thread for anyone interested in watching it, as you also said that in the OP.

So your complaint is that I should talk to other men instead of hoping for the feminists and the MRAs to come together and have a dialogue?

I wrote the part you quoted as a sort of preemptive reaction to this thread devolving into a bickerfest full of whataboutism, since these topics haven't always gone well in the past at typoC.

If you're not interested in the film, that's fine. No one's forcing you to watch it.

I thought this thread could serve as a place for anyone who did watch it to offer their feedback and criticisms of the film. If no one decides to watch it, that's fine, the thread can sink into obscurity. I'm not going to try to force people to take an interest. However, if it's going to be a bunch of posts by people posting just to say they can't be bothered to watch for X reason, or it's too long to watch, or any other reason, that's fine too, but they may be interested to know that in doing so, they're confirming one of the main arguments made in the film.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So your complaint is that I should talk to other men instead of hoping for the feminists and the MRAs to come together and have a dialogue?

I wrote the part you quoted as a sort of preemptive reaction to this thread devolving into a bickerfest full of whataboutism, since these topics haven't always gone well in the past at typoC.

If you're not interested in the film, that's fine. No one's forcing you to watch it.

I thought this thread could serve as a place for anyone who did watch it to offer their feedback and criticisms of the film. If no one decides to watch it, that's fine, the thread can sink into obscurity. I'm not going to try to force people to take an interest. However, if it's going to be a bunch of posts by people posting just to say they can't be bothered to watch for X reason, or it's too long to watch, or any other reason, that's fine too, but they should be aware they're confirming one of the main arguments made in the film by posting with the sole intent of expressing their disinterest.

I don't understand why you are so hostile. I have no problem that you posted the film at all. I simply asked why you mentioned you felt MRA's and feminist should open dialogue and you didn't mention MRA's opening dialogue with other men. Addressing that single statement, which I have already said I was doing, was all I asked for. I questioned nothing about the film, I wasn't critical of you posting it and I said nothing about anyone else watching or not.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Didn't watch the video yet, but I'm not optimistic about this unless they can unite around something else. The thing is, the divide is fueled by the culture war, and the culture war is what sustains the current political establishment and dynamics. So there's a need to always maintain the conflict in order to keep things continuing along the current path.

fair enough, but I think they've got a lot more in common than they realize.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't understand why you are so hostile. I have no problem that you posted the film at all. I simply asked why you mentioned you felt MRA's and feminist should open dialogue and you didn't mention MRA's opening dialogue with other men. Addressing that single statement, which I have already said I was doing, was all I asked for. I questioned nothing about the film, I wasn't critical of you posting it and I said nothing about anyone else watching or not.

why do you think I'm being hostile? I'm not. If you aren't sure, you could ask first. "Yo, asyn, are you trying to be hostile? what's the big deal?" It's clear we're misunderstanding each other. The post you cited as hostile wasn't an attempt to act shitty or make you look bad, it was an attempt at clarification. When I wrote "So your complaint is that I should talk to other men instead of hoping for the feminists and the MRAs to come together and have a dialogue?" I wasn't being rhetorical, I was actually asking you.

Wasn't my intent to come across as hostile, so I apologize.

Regarding your initial question, where are you getting the impression MRAs aren't trying to talk to men? Second, you seem to be conflating feminist and woman. I didn't say I wanted MRAs and women to come together, I said I hoped they could come together with feminists. Not all feminists are women and vice versa. I'm sorry that I didn't clarify I meant that could include male and female feminists. If this discussion is going to continue, I would like to make that distinction clear. The reason I'd hope to see these two groups come together is that both are focused on the same goal, gender equality. Also, to address your concern about talking to women, I don't see that would be a bad thing. They make up half of the voting population. And issues MRAs discuss do affect women too, if not always directly.

Deprecator

I'd be more interested if you were able to provide an actual opinion that you've articulated yourself as opposed to linking another person's video and then bombarding us with all these disclaimers. That said, I always saw the MRA movement as an inevitable reaction to radical feminism (i.e. frequent talk about patriarchy and privilege), not unlike how the black power movement is often interpreted as a reaction to the radical movements of its time.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd be more interested if you were able to provide an actual opinion that you've articulated yourself as opposed to linking another person's video and then bombarding us with all these disclaimers. That said, I always saw the MRA movement as an inevitable reaction to radical feminism (i.e. frequent talk about patriarchy and privilege), not unlike how the black power movement is often interpreted as a reaction to the radical movements of its time.

My criticisms, both good and bad (I'm editing and adding more as I think of them):

-She does a good job presenting them in an unbiased manner, as she interviews both proponents and critics of the movement. She edits in a way that sometimes cuts back and forth between MRAs and critics of MRAs like Sociology professor and male feminist Michael Kimmel and Ms Magazine editor Katherine Spillar, so it does feel like one is watching an actual dialogue at several points.

-She lists a shitload of facts and statistics to help back their arguments. Most of it is from more "official" or reputable sources like the CDC. Some criticized the film upon its release for containing misleading figures, but most of the data she presents seems to be pretty clear cut, straightforward.

-She could've done a better job of holding Paul Elam's feet to the fire, and asked him to explain some of the more divisive things he's written in the past on his site AVFM. To be fair, she does address his infamous "bash a violent bitch month" article toward the end of the film, noting it was written as a satirical response to a Jezebel post (which was itself partly satirical) celebrating women who hit their husbands and boyfriends. Much of the media backlash to his article failed to note it was written as satire and failed to note the original Jezebel article he was quoting. I think Elam is the MRM's biggest liability. He means well and has publicly endorsed an Equal Rights Amendment on AVFM, but he has a tendency to act like an obstinate bull with his messaging, likely turning away a lot of people who might otherwise be more receptive to what he has to say.

-She could've focused more on the complaints MRAs make about boys in education, and devoted a little less running time to the family court issues. Some MRAs like Farrell have recently shifted to speaking almost exclusively of the crisis of boys falling behind in school or failing to launch, and ultimately, people will be more sensitive to hearing about problems with boys than they will about problems with men. Approaching the MRM from that angle may have led to more people seeing the movie.

-She could've spent more time discussing the issue of circumcision, perhaps citing recent studies suggesting males lose more their sensitivity in their genital region than previously thought. She could've noted that a lot of money is made by hospitals selling removed baby foreskins to the cosmetic industry. Although getting that in-depth might really warrant a separate full length documentary, perhaps.

-She could've spent more time interviewing female MRAs. There's a lot of them, but she spends most of her time talking to male MRAs like Warren Farrell. The most time spent with female MRAs in the film is with Erin Pizzey and Karen Straughan. Focusing mostly on the male members might lead to the false impression of it being an exclusively male movement with only a handful of female members. Alison Tieman is barely seen, which was a shame.

-She could've spent less time on the criticisms of feminism made by some of her interview subjects, since it's supposed to be a documentary about the MRM, not feminism, although to be fair, most of those interviewed do explain exactly why they feel at odds with it, and cite instances where organizations like NOW campaigned against some MRA efforts toward equality. It's also hard not to address them (feminists), since they made a point of shutting down some MRA events via blocking entrances, pulling fire alarms, etc. They also mention the Duluth Model (created by feminists) and why they feel it had unintended bad consequences for men. I was also surprised to hear some of the MRAs like Fred Hayward and Warren Farrell say complimentary things about feminism, since going into the film, I held the notion they were all raging anti-feminists. Especially interesting was the section on Warren Farrell, who evolved from a card carrying member of NOW in the early 70s to being considered the father of the modern men's movement. He says they are not mutually exclusive worldviews, although he does criticize patriarchy theory when asked why there's a rift between the movements.

-"Women are seen as sex objects; men are seen as success objects." -quoted from one of Farrell's books by one of the MRAs interviewed in the film.

-"People get hostile..." - Elam when discussing how people react to MRAs when these issues are brought up.

-She could've given the film a better title, because since it's been released, the term has become more synonymous with PUA culture than with MRAs in the public consciousness. MRAs have actively tried to distance themselves from PUA culture. I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of uninformed people avoided the movie because they thought it she was being an apologist for PUA culture, when the film has little to do with PUAs.

-She does a good job in using real data to counter the widely made argument that while men may have some issues, they don't face systemic discrimination.

-She rightfully acknowledges that women still have issues unique to them too, being careful not to frame the MRM's issues in such a way that would appear to dismiss women's issues. If anything, she exposes a massive empathy gap in our culture.

-Many critics dismissed the film as propaganda. By definition though, most documentary films can be considered propaganda. At least she tried to include as much statistical data as possible.

-The segment on Boko Haram and the media's indifference to boys they burned alive versus massive coverage of the girls they later kidnapped was probably the most impactful part of the film, at least to me. It's hard to dismiss MRA claims of an empathy gap when those types of double standards are made glaringly obvious.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

i thought the feminist rhetoric was "you are a feminist" (like it or not) "if you believe in equality between men and women"... is it your position that only women are feminists?

i am being a little sarcastic, and it it totally fine to blow this off...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
i thought the feminist rhetoric was "you are a feminist" (like it or not) "if you believe in equality between men and women"... is it your position that only women are feminists?

i am being a little sarcastic, and it it totally fine to blow this off...

If you are using that definition (equality) then sure anyone can be a feminist. Even though I have been vocal about the vast unfairness towards men in family court, raising children and people that look to prey off successful men, that many women are lazy and take as much advantage as possible, none of that matters. In the end, this is simply a thread about a movie and reviewing it - not for the larger discussion.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you are using that definition (equality) then sure anyone can be a feminist. Even though I have been vocal about the vast unfairness towards men in family court, raising children and people that look to prey off successful men, that many women are lazy and take as much advantage as possible, none of that matters. In the end, this is simply a thread about a movie and reviewing it - not for the larger discussion.

the way i hear it, that is the current "in vogue" definition of feminism... so, in his initial post he mentions he wants mra and feminists to come to some sort of agreement... neither group is composed entirely of men or women, yet you reply that men should be talking to men about it... by the feminist definition of feminism, most people are feminists (that isn't a fact, but it is my opinion that most people believe in fair treatment)..

my point was that i often see you say men should talk to eachother... but in this case your reason (excuse?) to do so was flimsy... yes, most mra are men, but the "overly inclusive" definition of feminism means he basically said "i wish this group of mostly men would discuss this with this group that is a blend of both genders"... your reply doesn't make sense in the context, unless you think that feminism has a different definition...

also, i agree that the point of the thread is clearly defined...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks like one of Jaye's other documentaries is also available for free. This one is actually posted on her own channel, so I assume it was posted legally:

Daddy I Do (2010) - IMDb

I've not seen this one, but it's supposed to be about purity balls and dads who make their daughters swear to abstinence. Hope to watch today if I have time.

EDIT: just started watching, maybe 10 minutes in. I always got a creepy vibe from evangelists, having grown up around quite a few. Quite the obsession they have with chastity and keeping their daughters under lock and key.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Her channel also features extended interviews from the Red Pill documentary. Most are unedited, full length versions of interviews seen in the film, so if there's any question that she portrayed anyone in a negative or biased light in the final film, they can compare them against the full interview footage and decide for themselves.