User Tag List

First 29697778798081 Last

Thread: Global Turmoil

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    That's an interesting map. I am curious to see how things will go tonight (you can probably guess where my sympathies lie). Any thoughts on the matter?

I presume you are at least somewhat disappointed with the result ?

I'm really pleased at how the lock down and pandemic has allowed for a huge number of drugs busts and other busts of organized crime activity in the ROI.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    I presume you are at least somewhat disappointed with the result ?
    I expected it but had hoped for a different result.

By the way, while they do mention increased welfare spending under the PiS government (especially child money, which we also have here) the German media has portrayed the campaign not as a conflict between economic liberalism vs big government but between (relative) social liberalism vs social conservatism. Trzaskowski is center-right, but compared to the far right PiS He is painted as super open minded, internationally minded, tolerant and progressive. They make it sound like the campaign was mainly about social liberalism vs social conservatism with the a focus on Duda's anti-LGBTI statements as well as anti-German polemics.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

To summarize: It looks like the Polish people are okay with less democracy, less freedom of the press, less independence of the judiciary and less freedom of academic research if it saves them from the terrible evil that is gay rights, women's rights ans religious and ethnic diversity.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    To summarize: It looks like the Polish people are okay with less democracy, less freedom of the press, less independence of the judiciary and less freedom of academic research if it saves them from the terrible evil that is gay rights, women's rights ans religious and ethnic diversity.

Well, the truth is that many of them don't know for anything better/different. Rural Poland that voted for this is simply like that. That is how they were risen, while many of these people are older and therefore grew up during Communist era that clearly favored authority. You perhaps wouldn't believe me but there are many people that would vote for less democracy and they actually do. Since they see it as a threat to the nation state and personal safety, that is exactly how "illiberal democracy" was invented as a term. After all my own country recently got it's own version of PiS and only 6 months after formation they are already over 10 percent of the parliament (also ECR). With allies it is even more. While over the years they are actually likely to grow further at the cost of EPP that is more into economic liberalism. Many of the harshest words we heard lately was from new right towards EPP (that is for them and their base "fake globalist right" ).

My point was that PiS would never manage to pull those tight victories in the case that they are clear economic right. Since that would lose them good chunk of their base. Here many also vote right in general since they want big and involved government (how much of that come to fruit is another pair of shoes). I know how media will show what happened in Poland but they are all very likely to miss economic dimension. Slavic nationalism doesn't have too much in common with "free market" as the west knows it. You can't really be genuine Slavic nationalist and fully embrace western economics, that just doesn't add up.

Something that I fund, the pandemic curves for the both sides of the Atlantic. But there is no huge increase in difference that came in July, since US doubled the inflow lately.

What points in the direction that the problem is indeed mostly in the response since our metabolisms are equally human. The US evidently never managed to prevent inflow of new cases due to messy response and then it fully opened the economy, without many precautions and pandemic rules. While the key is in focused response and not just in the sum of what was done, basically entire medicine comes down to that.

Plus I was curious so I summed all EU countries for today and if I did the math well EU has about 3200 cases today. While US has 50 000+ and counting. What suggests massive changes in strategy before the economy implodes in this mess. Especially since colder weather probably wouldn't help when it comes.

Btw. regarding Poland and similar countries: I really wonder what will happen with them if Biden wins. The current trends can't really continue if US decides to act and it probably will. Due to their various deals with Russia and growing trade with China.

US backs Bulgaria protesters, while EU leaders keep mum

Yeap, this is getting complicated.
    It seems that current ruling elite pilled up too much Russian influence (and they keep media freedoms on the level of Africa). This is the the most dysfunctional EU country for a while so something indeed need to be shaken up in this particular case.

UK unemployment to spike as economy slow to rebound

The OBR also said the national budget will hit “by far the highest peacetime deficit in at least 300 years” of £322 billion, or 16 percent of gross domestic product — highlighting the scale of state intervention as the country wrestles with the pandemic.