Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    I am honestly curious as to what may happen, as I generally thought it was a good idea to leave the hive mind anyways. They will lead examples for the first time in 50 years, that they do not need the EU to prosper. Hopefully. EU was entirely bureaucratic nonsense to begin with.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

In 2004 in Italy 2,7 % of people believed the holocaust never happened. Today in 2020 that number has risen to 15,6% - about one in six! An additional 16.1% believe the death numbers are exaggerated.

Also, 23.8% believe Jews are dominating the business world and the financial markets, 22.2% believe they control the media and 26.4% believe they control the US government.

No wonder the far right and other populists are so sucessful there.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sung Jin-Woo View Post
    I am honestly curious as to what may happen, as I generally thought it was a good idea to leave the hive mind anyways. They will lead examples for the first time in 50 years, that they do not need the EU to prosper. Hopefully. EU was entirely bureaucratic nonsense to begin with.

That means that you don't understand what EU is. Fundamentally it was a US protectorate in Europe designed to boost economy in order to keep Communism at bay and keep defeated Fascism from emerging again. Therefore now as the union is cracking the old ways are coming out from the closet all over the place. EU is basically the system that allowed Americanization of Europe and with the crash of that you are returning things to where they were before ww2 in western Europe or cold war in eastern Europe.

To my country democracy basically came through EU since it never really existed here before and I would dare to say the same for "modern "Capitalism". However since my country is far from unique regarding this with bashing EU you are basically bashing democracy and modern capitalism (and what holds them in place). This is basically because they were both imported into these parts. At least 80% of my parliament are parties that are fragments of the Communist party, which simply fragmented at the end of the communist era but never really went away. However these parties will generally listen EU (or US) only as long as this fit's the democratic image or image of progress. What can now be seen clearly because Russia and China made better offer(s) and everything is starting to change.

Therefore with crashing the EU you aren't getting some individual freedoms, market or whatever. You are getting even stronger hive mind that probably wouldn't even be US friendly, while UK was actually important "regional" controller in the whole story. Actually what you can see on my local forums is so open Anti-Americanism that they call for the end of everything American (or EU). Therefore you don't want anything that will give these people more political freedom or maneuvering space. Through wider region these people are simply loyalists of our ex totalitarian systems which killed millions in camps or however, or they waged open war against US. Not to mention that some have openly threaten US with nukes for decades, what Americans call "Cold war".

You right-wing Americans are cheering for the wrong team the whole time.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 so/sp

Britain remains split on Brexit night

"One is rather shocked at this country declaring its freedom day when I know what real freedom — or lack of freedom — was in Poland in the '70s when I visited my family," he said. "It seems totally cynical to say today is a day of freedom when in actual fact it's a day of enormous uncertainty."

There seems to be certain realities that modern western people just don't get. Plus if this is the day of freedom why UK didn't say to China to piss off with installing it's 5G hardware, even if US actually requested that.

I wouldn't be surprised that now UK even further increases the lead in this map, since someone will need to cover the holes made by Brexit. (FDI - Foreign Direct Investment)

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    In 2004 in Italy 2,7 % of people believed the holocaust never happened. Today in 2020 that number has risen to 15,6% - about one in six! An additional 16.1% believe the death numbers are exaggerated.

Also, 23.8% believe Jews are dominating the business world and the financial markets, 22.2% believe they control the media and 26.4% believe they control the US government.

Well, Italy is a collapsed country for at least a decade at this point. They were doing plenty of goods in which China took over, more ambitious/smarter people left the country or moved into a few cities. Demography is bad as well as justice system. Public debt is unsustainable. This is exactly why I said a few posts back that the whole union will have to find a way to get this country back on track, since situation is pretty grim there. We can live without UK but if something happens to Italy the consequences will be much more serious for the whole continent. If anything simply because of the Euro/Eurozone.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

Is age a factor in that 15.6% rise?
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
    ― Gerry Spence

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Is age a factor in that 15.6% rise?

As a guy from the country that borders Italy and which has similar social problems I would dare to say "Yes, to some degree". The key factor is that media narrative changed while social media came into the picture. What made it much more easy to gather scattered individuals into groups. While on the other hand justice system basically collapsed as well as manufacturing that moved to China. What lead the country to 135% in public debt to GDP ratio.

On the other hand Italy lost the ww2 just in time that they never really went through the shame as Germany did. Therefore being a fascist was never too much of a controversy in Italy. However since such people got more space in media and the internet they have risen the generation in which fascism really isn't too much a controversy. Especially since paradigms are adjusted for modern times.

This trend is why I don't think bashing EU is a good idea. There are problems and the union needs many reforms but giving power to what lurks bellow the surface probably isn't the good idea.
    Here is a detailed poll for Italy. Far right is the top green line and the 2 blue ones down. (and together they have 49% of the vote towards this)

Italy polls
    Likes Jaguar liked this post

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 so/sp

I just couldn't resist and I decided to make a search ... and this is the first thing that came up. The documentary about how Italy is rotten from inside.

The woman says it nicely: I suppose I am for dictatorship, at least something would get done.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 so/sp

When it comes to economy the south of Europe is in really bad shape. Especially since competent people move north and industry is generally moving to Asia.

There is currently economic crisis in France exactly because it's main trading partners Italy and Spain got stuck, while now even Germany is slowing down to to global mess and because the continent is getting stuck in socio-economic mess. All of this really isn't the union/continent from 10 or 20 years ago.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 so/sp

The famous western "rule of law".