Results 1,461 to 1,468 of 1468

Thread: Global Turmoil

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Another week later.
    It seems that the second worst category is removed from the map.

Another map.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    While I agree that Germany will have to Hand over more legal power to Brussels if they want a strong EU, that won't be easy.

As the article hints at, the Bundesverfassungsgericht is highly respected in Germany. There are regular surveys about who people trust (doctors, the police, teachers, politicians, scientists, lawyers, etc) and Karlsruhe regularly ends up very high at the top. The court has a reputation of being politically balanced, wise and fair. Taking power away from them won't be popular.

Also, I vaguely remember from my university days (I had to take a class in EU law almost 20 years ago) that there are two famous court decisions of the Bundesverfassungsgericht, the more recent one from the 80s saying that the court will no longer have competence to challenge EU law as long as (that decision is actually called "Solange II", "as long 2“) basic rights are sufficiently protected by EU law. They did leave themselves a backdoor though for cases where that might not be the case.

Something about the article thst made me raise my eyebrows: it mentions two politicians by name. One is Bernd Lucke, who isn't just any conservative as the article suggests but the founder of the AfD - he specifically founded it to combat the EU. And
    Peter Gauweiler is a famous Bavarian member of the rightmost wing of the CSU and a well known enfant terrible (Look up what he said about gay people during the AIDS outbreak). So both not exactly representative voices and both dubious sources in my book. Tge fact the article doesn't properly say who really are makes me mistrust the authors and their intentions... even though they are making a few decent points. It makes me suspect a strong rightwing bias (or ignorance). That impression is somewhat cemented by the fact that when I opened the Politico article an ad popped up for a petition against the Matic report. I admit I had to google that but it's a law proposal about female reproductive rights and the (rightwing) petitioners are against enshrining those rights in EU law. My search browser history does little to suggest I would ever sign that shit, so I think it must be the article that made it show up rather than my search history.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Added: there is a more recent case, the "Lisbon judgement" from 2009 in which they cemented the ultimate supremacy of national constitutional law over EU law due to the eternity clause in the German constitution and because "taking too much souveranty from the Bundestag would undermine democracy"

I am ovetsimplifying if course and no legal expert, but those seem to be the implications
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    While I agree that Germany will have to Hand over more legal power to Brussels if they want a strong EU, that won't be easy.

As the article hints at, the Bundesverfassungsgericht is highly respected in Germany. There are regular surveys about who people trust (doctors, the police, teachers, politicians, scientists, lawyers, etc) and Karlsruhe regularly ends up very high at the top. The court has a reputation of being politically balanced, wise and fair. Taking power away from them won't be popular.

Also, I vaguely remember from my university days (I had to take a class in EU law almost 20 years ago) that there are two famous court decisions of the Bundesverfassungsgericht, the more recent one from the 80s saying that the court will no longer have competence to challenge EU law as long as (that decision is actually called "Solange II", "as long 2“) basic rights are sufficiently protected by EU law. They did leave themselves a backdoor though for cases where that might not be the case.

Something about the article thst made me raise my eyebrows: it mentions two politicians by name. One is Bernd Lucke, who isn't just any conservative as the article suggests but the founder of the AfD - he specifically founded it to combat the EU. And
    Peter Gauweiler is a famous Bavarian member of the rightmost wing of the CSU and a well known enfant terrible (Look up what he said about gay people during the AIDS outbreak). So both not exactly representative voices and both dubious sources in my book. Tge fact the article doesn't properly say who really are makes me mistrust the authors and their intentions... even though they are making a few decent points. It makes me suspect a strong rightwing bias (or ignorance). That impression is somewhat cemented by the fact that when I opened the Politico article an ad popped up for a petition against the Matic report. I admit I had to google that but it's a law proposal about female reproductive rights and the (rightwing) petitioners are against enshrining those rights in EU law. My search browser history does little to suggest I would ever sign that shit, so I think it must be the article that made it show up rather than my search history.

Well, this is kinda the problem with when you are writing about other countries, you can miss the details and make wrong representations (even if you have good intentions). I know from my own local experience that there may be wrong or quite simplistic representations all over the place.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

How Europeans rate their quality of government (by region):

Green =very satisfied
    Red = not at all satisfied
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari