breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default 2020 Democratic Party primary thread

Well, just finished the second round of debates, and there are still too many candidates, but, oh, well. Let's start this.

So, in alphabetical order, of the current candidates that qualified for debates:

Michael Bennet(54), Senator from Colorado
    Joe Biden(76), former VP, former Senator from Delaware
    Cory Booker(50), Senator from New Jersey
    Steve Bullock(53), Governor from Montana
    Pete Buttigieg(37), Mayor of South Bend
    Julian Castro(44), former mayor of San Antonio
    Bill de Blasio (58), Mayor of New York
    John Delaney (56), former Congressman from New Jersey
    Tulsi Gabbard (38), Congresswomen from Hawaii
    Kirsten Gillibrand (52), Senator from New York
    Kamala Harris (54), Senator from California
    John Hickenlooper (67), Governor of Colorado
    Jay Inslee (68), Governor of Washington
    Amy Klobuchar (59), Senator from Minnesota
    Beto O'Rourke (46), former Congressman from Texas
    Tim Ryan (46), Congressman from Ohio
    Bernie Sanders (77), Senator from Vermont
    Elizabeth Warren (70), Senator ttom Massachusetts
    Marianne Williamson (67), new age guru
    Andrew Yang (44), entrepreneur

Additionally, Tom Steyer, billionaire activist (67) has declared his candidacy.

Let's try to keep this thread informative and civil. If you like a candidate, try to make a positive case for the candidate,. If you have negative points about the candidate, try not to attack supporters (ex: "How dare you support Julian Castro, he is against using nuclear power") and instead just post "Julian Castro is against nuclear power" or "I like Julian Castro because he is against nuclear power"

That way the subforum and the thread might stay open until someone wraps up the nomination.
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
    Likes Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Amy Klobuchar is looking promising. Unfortunate she is falling behind.
    “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
    Charles Bukowski

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

How does one get `qualified` for the debates, in like who makes decision who can attend and how is decision made?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    How does one get `qualified` for the debates, in like who makes decision who can attend and how is decision made?
    The DNC makes tbe rules. Each debate will have increasing difficulty to get qualified. There have been two thresholds they need to meet, number of donors and average on certain polls.

The qualification for the 3rd debate is: 2% in 4 approved polls from June 28 to August 28 and 130k unique donors by August 28, with at least 400 unique donors in at least 20 states.

As of now, Biden, Buttigieg, Booker, Harris, O'Rourke, Sanders, and Warren have qualified. Klobucher, Castro, Yang, and Gabbard are close. I suspect we might have 15 or less at the next debates.
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

Likes Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

My main hope is for Biden to lose the damn thing. If he makes it to the general, he'll flame out, I'm sure of it. The "moderataes" or "never trump republicans" won't vote for him anyway, because they think they're getting a lot out of those tax cuts. And turnout in general will be depressed if he's on the ballot.

He's got the same amount of baggage as Hillary. It could even be argued that he has more.

Personally I like Gabbard, and I think that Williamson makes more sense than I would have thought. (And hey, we have a reality TV show president.... why not a new age guru? The floodgates are opened, nobody knows what's "electable.") Bernie's good as usual. Warren's too wonky to be a good candidate, I think. (People are totally misinterpreting Williamson's statements on the matter, which are totally right. People don't actually vote for policy proposals. Did Dubya, Trump, or Obama win because people thought they had awesome policy proposals?)

Everyone else I'm not enthusiastic about, but I think they have a much better shot at winning than Biden, whose been around long enough to pal around Strom Thurmond. Biden is the epitome of the Washington establishment that everyone is sick of. His experience isn't an asset, but a weakness. Consider his bullshit about "renegotiating TPP." Does anyone buy that? I don't remember him saying a thing about TPP when Obama was pushing it. He's trying to run as Obama's third term (exactly like Hillary) and also representing a return to normalcy. (I am so tired of hearing about how we need to get back to normalcy and "the norms".... those "norms" are pretty useless.)
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes SearchingforPeace, JAVO liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Kamala and Warren better watch out. Marianne might be the best woman Democratic candidate for the nomination.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Likes senza tema, JAVO liked this post

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post

Kamala and Warren better watch out. Marianne might be the best woman Democratic candidate for the nomination.
    "She has criticized the widespread use of anti-depressants."

Every point she made against the pharmaceutical companies was taboo politicians wouldn't discuss to break the omerta. Her pointing out that America endorses a Sickness Care system is perfectly sane.
    الخَيلُ وَاللَيلُ وَالبَيداءُ تَعرِفُني *** وَالسَيفُ وَالرُمحُ وَالقِرطاسُ وَالقَلَمُ
    Swift steeds, dreary nights, and the desolate wasteland, all know me full well
    As do the sword, the spear, the paper and the pen.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

There was some asshole on MSNBC (it wasn't my choice; I can't stand it half the time.... they spent the last three years turning Robert Mueller into some bullshit folk hero, often at the expense of other stories) going after Tulsi Gabbard last night for "poisioning" the discourse with her anti-war stance. I'd be wiling to wager that, unlike her, this dipshit never served overseas in Iraq. He's probably some "intellectual" part of some think tank that has spent the last two decades arguing for "pragmatic" foreign policy positions like using the U.S. military to turn the Middle East into a beacon of democracy.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    471 sx/sp

Biden is a mess. He literally ends his answers with "and anyway" instead of actually addressing the question and blames anything negative on Obama saying he was president and took the decision. Trump is going to make mincemeat out of him so of course the DNC and the likes of CNN will keep pushing him to the fore. Lord help us all.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    There was some asshole on MSNBC (it wasn't my choice; I can't stand it half the time.... they spent the last three years turning Robert Mueller into some bullshit folk hero, often at the expense of other stories) going after Tulsi Gabbard last night for "poisioning" the discourse with her anti-war stance. I'd be wiling to wager that, unlike her, this dipshit never served overseas in Iraq. He's probably some "intellectual" part of some think tank that has spent the last two decades arguing for "pragmatic" foreign policy positions like using the U.S. military to turn the Middle East into a beacon of democracy.
    It is easily to see which candidates the oligarchy wants. And they hate when anyone disrupts their carefully constructed narrative.

Sure, there are competing factions of the oligarchy, but there are definite approved candidates and definite unapproved candidates. The most unapproved candidates for the Democrats are Bernie, Yang, Tulsi, and Marianne.
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Likes JAVO liked this post