• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2020 Democratic Party primary thread

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Julius_Van_Der_Beak said:
It was an idea from the Heritage foundation concocted in response to Clinton's attempt at universal healthcare. If it was a shit idea, it was a shit idea dreamed up by conservative think tanks.

If it was a shit idea and every Democrat voted for this shit idea, then perhaps you're in the wrong party.:D

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If it was a shit idea and every Democrat voted for this shit idea, then perhaps you're in the wrong party.:D

Why do you think I'm so gung-ho for someone who the Democratic establishment hates?

Bernie is savvy enough not to do things like bring up old GOP legislation in the hopes that Republicans will vote for it and not throw a temper tantrum. You gotta expect the tantrums. This is the kind of thing I mean when I say he understands the big picture.

Jaguar

FeistyEasygoingHookersealion-small.gif

Nicodemus

So you want somebody like Butiigieg who would probably get as much done as Obama (which I don't consider to be enough, and it would all get undone by the next administration, anyway). I'd vote for him in a general (hell, I'd even vote for Biden in the general), but I think he's too much in the Obama mold (and I never really bought into him, either).

Bernie is someone who I think would know what to do with the opportunity he is given. He definitely would not get to do all of it, but I think he might be able to get enough done to make a long-needed long-lasting change in American politics. It's Change I Can Actually Believe In.

Obama missed so many opportunities during the first two years when he had control of Congress (like, for instance, getting ANY type of climate change legislation passed). I fear Buttigieg would do the same.

I'd like to be proven wrong on Buttigieg, but that's just my impression. I think he could win the general, though.
I would hope that both Bernie and Buttigieg learned something from Obama's domestic failures and foreign-policy abuses. In fairness, though, the transformation of the GOP from a political party into a mere propaganda network was not yet complete when Obama tried working across the aisle early on.

What I fear in Bernie's case is that he is impractical, his ideas being dreams instead of policy plans, and that given his lack of clout within the Democratic party, he would lack the internal support a president needs to set and deliver a workable agenda. Bernie has been in the Senate for 13 years, but he has hardly any friends there. That may be a sign of integrity for man working in Washington, but it poses problems for a politician in need of coalitions. Bernie, I am afraid, is not a smooth talker or a clever tactician. Buttigieg is very different.

Obviously, I may be wrong in that assessment, and if Bernie wins, I certainly I hope I am. But there are reasons the party establishment does not like him, and not all of them are concerned with his disdain for K street.

Lastly, while lies and hatred from Fox News are inevitable for any Democratic president, I fear Bernie will make it easier than just about anybody (except, perhaps, Warren) for them to invent a new demon and give their herds a new fake enemy to fight.

Banning cows, banning fossil fuels, national $15 minimum wage, open borders, Medicare for all (including illegal immigrants)
Only three out of five are lies. Are you okay, Tellenbach?

Jaguar

WASHINGTON (Sinclair Broadcast Group) — A Nevada culinary union that could hold sway in the state’s Democratic caucuses next week claimed Wednesday that supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders had “viciously” harassed its members for distributing a flyer criticizing the Vermont senator’s Medicare for All plan, reviving concerns about the tactics of his followers at what could be a pivotal moment for his campaign.

“It’s disappointing that Senator Sanders’ supporters have viciously attacked the Culinary Union and working families in Nevada simply because our union has provided facts on what certain health care proposals might do to take away the system of care we have built over eight decades,” said Geoconda Argüello-Kline, secretary-treasurer for Culinary Union Local 226.

The claims of threats and harassment aimed at leaders of a union that challenged one of Sanders’ signature campaign proposals are the latest instance of critics accusing Sanders’ followers of crossing a line to silence opposition.

'Bernie Bros' could become liability as Sanders seeks to expand base
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/nat...ome-liability-as-sanders-seeks-to-expand-base

Jaguar

Why Bernie Sanders has an unrealistic approach to achieving deep cuts in carbon emissions.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Bloomberg in 2013: Civil libertarians and teachers union are like NRA ‘extremists’

“His thin skin didn’t allow him to deal with the fact that teachers went out on the streets telling people not to believe him. Hence, we’re the NRA,” Mike Mulgrew, president of AFT’s New York affiliate, said Saturday. “As long as you agree with him, you'll get along great. When you don’t agree with him and you stand your ground? He’s not trustworthy at all.”

Nope, nothing like Trump at all. Really don't want to have to choose between two entitled baby billionaires in 2020, and I'm serious when I say that there's a good chance I'd take a third option if that happens. (I'm prepared to watch Jaguar take this quote of context like he did above even though he believes in "truth" and "facts".)

Why Bernie Sanders has an unrealistic approach to achieving deep cuts in carbon emissions.

Fareed Zakaria had an unrealistic approach to bringing democracy to the Middle East. At least if Sanders is unrealistic and fails, his attempts won't result in a death toll that dwarfs 9/11, the further rise of violent extremists, and the worst refugee crisis since WWII.

Jaguar

No apple pie without ice cream, isn't it relevant?

I have no interest in Mike Bloomberg. Vote for him if you want.

Fareed Zakaria had an unrealistic approach to bringing democracy to the Middle East.

Do you have anything to say about the evidence backing up his argument in the video? Of course not. Now, run along and create a conspiracy theory to keep yourself entertained.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I find DNC comical. Now they are panicking over Bernie but for decades they were ok with immigration from Latin America or elsewhere. While now families of the most of those people seem quite pro Bernie. Also they attack Trump over killing ties with "Allies", were Bernie stuff are quite mainstream.

On the other hand if they want to get rid of Trump that really isn't too hard or worth of drama. The party just has to pick the candidate that is generally electable and order/suggest all those business owners in the party that are anti Trump that they give everyone day off on GE election day (or at least half a day off). Plus rich need to spends some "change" on giving the poor citizens some money for proper ID or whatever is needed. Do that and Trump falls surely, possibly even with major landslide.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why are they freaking out over a candidate whose platform is basically 1930s New Deal Democratic?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Honest question: Why ?

I really want to know what do you think is wrong with the guy. (it isn't the first time you make this claim)

I'm the one who doesn't like Bloomberg. I would probably be one of the many who would vote for a third party or write someone in if he wins the nomination. I think if Bloomberg can buy himself the nomination while not even contesting in a few states, we can no longer make any claim to having a democracy, so it makes no difference if Trump gets re-elected and declares himself President for life or whatever. Bloomberg changed the law in New York City just so he could have a third term. That's literally the exact same thing. Bloomberg is just a Republican who likes abortion and gun control (coincidentally, things I don't care much about). I don't vote for Republican.

A successful Bloomberg nomination means we basically have a Russian-style "democracy"; that is an, oligarchy with elections. For fuck's sake, he uses prison labor for phone banking (those poor people). He gives me the creeps.

Bloomberg is Trump, just with more social graces and competency. So, worse in some ways.

- - - Updated - - -

"Mike molests blow up dolls" is a claim. I merely said I have no interest.

He's had more sexual assault allegations than Donald Trump. Even a Bernie bro like me wouldn't call women "blow-up dolls."

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An alarming number of voters will still support Bloomberg as a 'lesser of two evils'. He's basically just a trump who believes in climate change and gun control. Don't expect any good banking reform, healthcare reform, wage increases, an end to prolonged and expensive overseas operations, etc if he's our next president.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An alarming number of voters will still support Bloomberg as a 'lesser of two evils'. He's basically just a trump who believes in climate change and gun control. Don't expect any good banking reform, healthcare reform, wage increases, an end to prolonged and expensive overseas operations, etc if he's our next president.

Climate change maybe might justify that, but his record doesn't look that good.

Michael Bloomberg on Climate Change: Where the Candidate Stands | InsideClimate News

Bloomberg has also been criticized because many of the coal plants shut down in the Beyond Coal drive were converted to natural gas instead of being replaced by zero-emissions renewable energy. He now promises to curtail the drive for new natural gas plants if elected. But Greenpeace has graded Bloomberg's climate platform a "D+," last among the Democratic candidates, because of his lack of a detailed plan for phasing out oil, gas and coal production.

Switching to natural gas will not solve the issue.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx